The Student Room Group

Would the UK function better as a federation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Wales and NI don't 'have a good thing going', they have to put up with what they have. And nationalisms like yours are harming the future of this country and will cause it to be drastically reduced in the world.

So we should continually make sure every head in Scotland, Wales, NI have more government spending per head than the citizens in England?

I shouldn't think you live in England or if you do, you're from one of the Barnet Formula subsidy junkie nations.

Your suggestion of continued appeasement works really well. It worked really well for both Hitler and modern Israel paradoxically. I'm sure it's going to work for this.
Original post by thisistheend
So we should continually make sure every head in Scotland, Wales, NI have more government spending per head than the citizens in England?

I shouldn't think you live in England or if you do, you're from one of the Barnet Formula subsidy junkie nations.

Your suggestion of continued appeasement works really well. It worked really well for both Hitler and modern Israel paradoxically. I'm sure it's going to work for this.

lol. C'mon man I'm English and you are talking utter ****e, how did Nazi's come into it?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
lol. C'mon man I'm English and you are talking utter ****e, how did Nazi's come into it?

We should not have appeased Hitler, so that's an important lesson on how not to do appeasement.

And I was using that to illustrate the point that we should not appease to the Queen of these uppity Scots.

Scotland already get too good of a deal and I want to see them get less money and less influence in English politics, as an answer to the West Lothian question.

I am very anti Scottish, in case you have not noticed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reluire
I've been reading up a lot about federalism as of late, and in many ways I'm not quite sure why the UK doesn't operate as a federation.

For one thing, I don't think Scotland would have kicked up any fuss about independence if the UK was a federation. Unitary government is unfair as far as power and sovereignty is concerned. At least under federalism, each country of the UK would hold its own sovereignty, rather than just the UK at a national level.

If we want people to feel involved with politics, surely federalism is the way to go as it naturally promotes pluralism. Politics wouldn't seem like something dominated by Westminster because it would essentially be equally split at national and regional levels to an extent that unitary devolution doesn't provide.

Our unitary government also allows the UK to operate without a codified constitution which I find questionable concerning citizen rights and concerning the protection of local governments that could potentially be quashed under our unitary, uncodified system. If the UK was a federation, all members of the UK would be guaranteed protection and rights. Wouldn't that make the UK a more fair union?

What do you guys think?

No because areas such as London, north east etc, left/labour leaning areas, would need devolution from "tory" English countryside and south east England.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending