The Student Room Group

Moving to America after year 11

Hi. My parents really want to move to America once I finish my GCSEs in year 11, but I know that sixth form/college here is still classed as high school in America so how different would it be? Will I get to do certain subjects that I prefer like here in England or will i ahve to carry on with every subject including maths (which I hate). Also is the work really different in England vs America? Would my GCSEs count towards my uni application in America? Would it just be better to do a levels here? Thanks :smile:
Original post by cool_cool
Hi. My parents really want to move to America once I finish my GCSEs in year 11, but I know that sixth form/college here is still classed as high school in America so how different would it be? Will I get to do certain subjects that I prefer like here in England or will i ahve to carry on with every subject including maths (which I hate). Also is the work really different in England vs America? Would my GCSEs count towards my uni application in America? Would it just be better to do a levels here? Thanks :smile:

I think it would be better to just stay, but moving wouldn't be so bad. You'd be moving into 11th grade, and you will most likely have to do Maths & English until you finish, but you also get to choose other subjects that you prefer as well those. You may be able to find a highschool which offers IB, which you'd still have to do Maths whilst doing, but it would probably be more compatible with your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: how much different are subjects in America? I prefer essay-based subjects (history and English) and stuff but I don’t want to end up clueless on how to write essays in America because I was taught in a certain way here. Would I be able to catch up even though I missed freshman and sophomore and is the stuff we learn in junior and senior year different to here?

You will probably have to continue with most subjects to graduate High School. You will also (unless it can be classed as a temporary move) be classed as an international fee payer, should you want to attend university in the UK. That has very expensive consequences - ask me how I know.

US universities typically have requirements for the number of years of study of various subjects, including maths, science, English, and foreign languages. You also wouldn't have that much time to meet these requirements - I've no idea how your GCSE study would carry-across though. US universities also expect copious extra-curricular activities, and degrees are longer (4 years for a Bachelor's and 6 for a Master's), and (typically) less focused than in the UK.

The equivalent of A levels - AP and SAT Subject Tests, are not required to graduate High School (or go to university), but sufficient credits in each category of education is. You'll have to take a wider range of courses, e.g. economics and civics.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
I suspect that it's pretty much the same. I've been through the US school system [up to a master's degree in electrical engineering], and i don't think you'll have much problem in 'converting'. We have a lot of students in our system that are either 'military brats' - and have lived on military bases all over the world - either going to local schools in English [Yank] or the local language, or US govt run schools 'on base'. Now , i suppose quite a few of them have been doing internet classes too. We also have quite a few foreign students showing up, who don't speak either English OR Yank - so they have to be transitioned in their native language. That, of course won't apply to you. I think you will enjoy the experience. After graduating with my Bachelor's degree, i spent nearly 3 years overseas in the near east, and i found the experience invaluable. Best 9f luck!!!

Hey! So I had also moved after taking the GCSEs in year 11- you won't have to retake any courses unless you don't meet the high school's graduation requirements. The math here is more difficult so I struggled with that but all other classes are easier in the US. You can do any subject you want there is no limit, you will have to do math for one year but you can drop it after. Your GCSEs do count as a grade but as I'm applying for colleges right now it's a little complicated because of my move. If you have the option I suggest you stay but it depends on your preference. I worked better in the US- I now have straight A*s as opposed to almost failing my GCSEs. Take a look at the textbooks and sample exam papers to make an informed judgment.
Reply 6
Yeah, although it would be easier for us to move right after I do my GCSEs i think I’m just going to carry on here with a levels and when I finish go to America for university. I usually do better on exams than I do in class, so do you think the us would be bad for me? Also, how different is the content? For English literature for example, do you write essays in a similar format? Thanks so much for your help :smile:
Yeah, although it would be easier for us to move right after I do my GCSEs i think I’m just going to carry on here with a levels and when I finish go to America for university. I usually do better on exams than I do in class, so do you think the us would be bad for me? Also, how different is the content? For English literature for example, do you write essays in a similar format? Thanks so much for your help :smile:

I am doing an AP class for literature- it is quite difficult because they don't like the format which learned to write with during the IGCSEs. I find it much easier, exams are only 10 or 20% of your grade so it is easy to score well. If you are a good test taker then I don't recommend moving
Reply 8
I really like literature so if I go I would probs take an AP class on it. What else determines your grade? Do you write essays often? Thanks :smile:
I really like literature so if I go I would probs take an AP class on it. What else determines your grade? Do you write essays often? Thanks :smile:

There are many many essays and writing tasks. The classes are definitely more fun. We are currently doing Hamlet. Our grade is made up of Essays and assignments.
Reply 10
What kind of visa will your parents be on? With some, the child ages out of the visa at 21, so you would need a student visa for the last year of uni there, and might not be able to work.

If you don't get top grades in your GCSEs your high school GPA will be adversely affected which will make it harder to get into a good college. Are your parents prepared for the cost of college in the US? Depending on the visa you might not be entitled to financial aid.

Most high schools have graduation requirements, eg a certain amount of math, science, etc. It varies between states and individual schools. However, colleges will also expect a certain breadth.
Original post by ohope
What kind of visa will your parents be on? With some, the child ages out of the visa at 21, so you would need a student visa for the last year of uni there, and might not be able to work.

If you don't get top grades in your GCSEs your high school GPA will be adversely affected which will make it harder to get into a good college. Are your parents prepared for the cost of college in the US? Depending on the visa you might not be entitled to financial aid.

Most high schools have graduation requirements, eg a certain amount of math, science, etc. It varies between states and individual schools. However, colleges will also expect a certain breadth.

Would they really account GCSEs into the high school GPA? I thought they'd consider them separately (in the same way that a normal UK applicant wouldn't convert their GCSEs into GPA).

If you're there on a visa, you'll be entitled to the same aid as any other international student applying to that college. Not eligible for Federal Aid afaik though.
Original post by ry7xsfa
Would they really account GCSEs into the high school GPA? I thought they'd consider them separately (in the same way that a normal UK applicant wouldn't convert their GCSEs into GPA).

If you're there on a visa, you'll be entitled to the same aid as any other international student applying to that college. Not eligible for Federal Aid afaik though.

My GCSEs turned into my cummilative GPA, they bumped each grade up by one through. Cs became Bs
Reply 13
Thanks for the help guys! My dad is originally American so we all have passports so we wouldn't have to worry about visas, but we are not likely gonna go because i don't think the american school system will suit me that well. However, i might go to America myself for uni when i finish sixth form.

Some schools in America have IB. I would look into that if you'd like to go before uni.
How to apply for colleges in USA after gcse. I want to study business economics related subjects. I want to be located near Washington or maryland
Original post by Sfracecar06
My GCSEs turned into my cummilative GPA, they bumped each grade up by one through. Cs became Bs

Hey, do you have any explanation/proof of this? I cant find any official documents that show this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending