The Student Room Group

MD program at American University of Antigua

Hi, I’m wondering if anyone is thinking of applying or is already study the MD program at Antigua university?
I want to do medicine and would love to study it in the Caribbean, they do an option to transfer to Warwick med school for the last 2/3 years of the degree which is what I’d like to do.

However, i have no idea if i could finance it? The uni has scholarships for Uk students but I didn’t know if anyone has any experience/knowledge of this and could help me out so i know if i should apply?

Im currently in my third year of a medical sciences degree so i would want to start the course in August/September 2022 :smile:
Hi, hope you are well! I am looking at this myself exactly, and was also unsure on how the financial aspect from student finance would work. Contacting them they are saying that they won't be able to finance anything as they can only do so if you begin your second academic year here at University of Warwick, but they are neglecting the fact that although it will be two pre-clinical years in Antigua, I will be joining the second academic cohort here at the University of Warwick, would you or anyone else happen to know more about this or whether this information may be incorrect and whether there is a different terminology for this course that it is classed as?
Reply 2
I am also looking to go to AUA, I am looking for private loans to help fund my studies. Are you guys still looking to study at AUA in 2022? Glad to know others from the UK are going to be there too
Hi guys, I'm actually a UK student studying at AUA so hopefully this info is helpful. Unfortunately, SFE does not fund studies abroad so you will need to find private funding. As you've probably already seen, AUA offer scholarships for UK students of £55,000 (or £65,000 if you have a 2:1 in your degree). This is split equally into each semester (8/9 in total) however, they gave me 75% of it split into the first 5 semesters to help out. So you end up paying about £9000 per semester (£18,000 per year). Another thing they offer is US federal funding IF you know anybody from the USA that is willing to co-sign this loan for you so this is viable if you don't have the money up-front. The final 4 semesters (2 years) you have the option of going down the Warwick route OR going to the US. Feel free to dm if you have any questions and good luck to you all :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by RachelRachel1990
Hi guys, I'm actually a UK student studying at AUA so hopefully this info is helpful. Unfortunately, SFE does not fund studies abroad so you will need to find private funding. As you've probably already seen, AUA offer scholarships for UK students of £55,000 (or £65,000 if you have a 2:1 in your degree). This is split equally into each semester (8/9 in total) however, they gave me 75% of it split into the first 5 semesters to help out. So you end up paying about £9000 per semester (£18,000 per year). Another thing they offer is US federal funding IF you know anybody from the USA that is willing to co-sign this loan for you so this is viable if you don't have the money up-front. The final 4 semesters (2 years) you have the option of going down the Warwick route OR going to the US. Feel free to dm if you have any questions and good luck to you all :smile:

Hi, literally in the same position and would really like to more about what its like living and studying in Antigua as a brit. I would send a you a message but I've literally only made an account just to ask this so I cant send messages yet🙃 😃. Thanks!
Hi, unfortunately (or fortunately due to money saved lol) my cohort started online due to covid so I have no experience of what it's like to study in Antigua. The course and teachers themselves are great though. Will your cohort have to study from Antigua?
Reply 6
Hey there,

I am a prospective student at the University of Health Sciences in Antigua (UHSA) for the September 2023 entry. I was wondering if anyone is also looking to study in the Caribbean at UHSA this year and if anyone can help with queries in general.
Reply 7

How is your life going there? Experience? And part time job any?
Reply 8
Original post by Slothqueen
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone is thinking of applying or is already study the MD program at Antigua university?
I want to do medicine and would love to study it in the Caribbean, they do an option to transfer to Warwick med school for the last 2/3 years of the degree which is what I’d like to do.

However, i have no idea if i could finance it? The uni has scholarships for Uk students but I didn’t know if anyone has any experience/knowledge of this and could help me out so i know if i should apply?

Im currently in my third year of a medical sciences degree so i would want to start the course in August/September 2022 :smile:

Hi,
Did you start studying there?
Original post by heyuayesha
How is your life going there? Experience? And part time job any?

Hi, I haven't used student room in a while so I've only just seen your question. I'm just finishing up my 5th semester (BSIC) now and I've enjoyed my time here. Be prepared to study hard but it's worth it. No I don't have a job out here, I'm not entirely sure that we would be allowed to work as students on the island.
Antigua is beautiful. It's a culture shock and completely different to life in the UK but it's something you soon get used to. If you do have any specific questions, feel free to ask me
Reply 10
Hi, I haven't used student room in a while so I've only just seen your question. I'm just finishing up my 5th semester (BSIC) now and I've enjoyed my time here. Be prepared to study hard but it's worth it. No I don't have a job out here, I'm not entirely sure that we would be allowed to work as students on the island.
Antigua is beautiful. It's a culture shock and completely different to life in the UK but it's something you soon get used to. If you do have any specific questions, feel free to ask me

Hiya,

Do you know the criteria’s that need to be met to transfer over to Warwick as I’m struggling to find it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending