The Student Room Group

Becoming a doctor in the US from UK medical school

I just wanna know how do I become a doctor in the US as I am currently in a UK medical school. I’ve lived in the UK for the majority of my life but I’ve always wanted to work in the US healthcare system.
Could someone outline the process or give me any resources please?
If you search through the forum there have been lots of threads on this.

I’m curious about what is so appealing about working in the us system?
Original post by ForestCat
If you search through the forum there have been lots of threads on this.

I’m curious about what is so appealing about working in the us system?

$$$ I’m guessing.
afaik you can't work as a doctor in the US without doing a doctoral degree and becoming a MD or DO.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
afaik you can't work as a doctor in the US without doing a doctoral degree and becoming a MD or DO.

This is not strictly correct. While the primary medical qualification (PMQ) in the US is the MD/DO this is equivalent to an MBBS so if you got a UK medical degree from a recognised medical school (note I think they do not recognise all UK medical schools on the US) then you would be fine on the medica degree front.

Original post by AveragexStudent
I just wanna know how do I become a doctor in the US as I am currently in a UK medical school. I’ve lived in the UK for the majority of my life but I’ve always wanted to work in the US healthcare system.
Could someone outline the process or give me any resources please?

You would need to take the USMLE exams, and then apply through the national residency matching program. You probably would need to get your medical degree validated by an external agency too.

Note that as an IMG you will be extremely limited in the areas and specialties you could apply to and have any chance of being accepted. Realistically you would only be able to get into undersubscribed specialties like family medicine (GP basically) or psychiatry in areas that receive few applications (mostly rural areas). You would not be successful applying to any programmes in major cities or competitive specialties like surgery, radiology, urology, or even things like internal medicine specialties in most places.

Part of this is tied to visa requirements where to be sponsored for a working visa, the sponsor needs to prove there are no suitably qualified American applicants for the job. For any competitive specialties or desirable locations this will never be the case. Even if you were a US citizen but we're an IMG you would likely still struggle because residency programs just don't really seem to like taking IMGs if they can help it.

Also I'm not really sure why you would want to work in the US healthcare sector anyway. If it's because you have giant dollar signs flashing up in your eyes you can dispel this notion altogether. For starters US doctors have huge malpractice indemnity premiums, and frankly being an IMG yours might even be higher. Also the way the only way those "average" (mean) salaries are representative is if you are running your own practice. If you are working for someone else's practice or in a hospital you would be making much closer to what UK medics earn. Additionally the mechanism through which you would earn that money seems rather ethically questionable - which is charging extremely high amounts of money for healthcare to patients and getting the money for their treatment from their medical insurance (plus any co-pay the patient had to pay themselves upfront). The US system forces the costs of the care onto the patient directly and individually which is why many patients simply can't seek treatment because they can't afford it. This is why people die from preventable causes there, or have to ration their insulin (often dying in the process) if they're diabetic etc.

So unless you have no morals and want to work in family medicine in rural wyoming while not earning that much more than in the UK anyway when all costs are factored in I can't see what the appeal is. If you think you are going to be living on the west or east coast making megabucks as a surgeon or something then you need to manage your expectations becuase there is 0 chance of that happening as an IMG.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
You would need to take the USMLE exams, and then apply through the national residency matching program. You probably would need to get your medical degree validated by an external agency too.

Note that as an IMG you will be extremely limited in the areas and specialties you could apply to and have any chance of being accepted. Realistically you would only be able to get into undersubscribed specialties like family medicine (GP basically) or psychiatry in areas that receive few applications (mostly rural areas). You would not be successful applying to any programmes in major cities or competitive specialties like surgery, radiology, urology, or even things like internal medicine specialties in most places.

Part of this is tied to visa requirements where to be sponsored for a working visa, the sponsor needs to prove there are no suitably qualified American applicants for the job. For any competitive specialties or desirable locations this will never be the case. Even if you were a US citizen but we're an IMG you would likely still struggle because residency programs just don't really seem to like taking IMGs if they can help it.

Also I'm not really sure why you would want to work in the US healthcare sector anyway. If it's because you have giant dollar signs flashing up in your eyes you can dispel this notion altogether. For starters US doctors have huge malpractice indemnity premiums, and frankly being an IMG yours might even be higher. Also the way the only way those "average" (mean) salaries are representative is if you are running your own practice. If you are working for someone else's practice or in a hospital you would be making much closer to what UK medics earn. Additionally the mechanism through which you would earn that money seems rather ethically questionable - which is charging extremely high amounts of money for healthcare to patients and getting the money for their treatment from their medical insurance (plus any co-pay the patient had to pay themselves upfront). The US system forces the costs of the care onto the patient directly and individually which is why many patients simply can't seek treatment because they can't afford it. This is why people die from preventable causes there, or have to ration their insulin (often dying in the process) if they're diabetic etc.

So unless you have no morals and want to work in family medicine in rural wyoming while not earning that much more than in the UK anyway when all costs are factored in I can't see what the appeal is. If you think you are going to be living on the west or east coast making megabucks as a surgeon or something then you need to manage your expectations becuase there is 0 chance of that happening as an IMG.

Thank you for the help- everyone!

There seems to be an underlying idea that I wish to only travel to the US for financial reasons. Whilst the $$$ would be an added bonus, if I wanted money I wouldn't have chosen medicine (there are better ways to gain money).
If you must know I wanted to be around the best doctors in the world which my presumption was they would mainy gravitate towards the US from around the world. Whilst this may be partially true there are other countries such as those in Europe (and the UK) and Japan which can inspire me as well.

There seems to be an underlying idea that I wish to only travel to the US for financial reasons. Whilst the $$$ would be an added bonus, if I wanted money I wouldn't have chosen medicine (there are better ways to gain money).
If you must know I wanted to be around the best doctors in the world which my presumption was they would mainy gravitate towards the US from around the world. Whilst this may be partially true there are other countries such as those in Europe (and the UK) and Japan which can inspire me as well.

Yes but you’re doing medicine now and likely hoping to maximise your income. So it was a fair assumption. And if you weren’t doing it for the money you’d probably not be looking at America. Having money to throw at a problem doesn’t always make for great medicine. Some of the best medicine happens when doctors are working with more finite or limited resources, where solutions are found that benefits the maximum number of people. So you’re naive either way.
And everyone does medicine for the money. It’s a secure and structured way to a job with guaranteed career and salary progression. If you’re drawn to healthcare, and you choose to do medicine, money will be part of your considerations, whether you choose to acknowledge it publicly or not.
And wanting to be among the “best” means you’re seeking some kind of reward or status. So, yes, I believe you’re chasing that. And whilst you mention that you would be interested to work in Japan or Europe, you specifically asked about the US.
Anyway, it was a side conversation. People are free to speculate. Regarding your original question, you’re best off doing independent research on the subject. It’s unlikely there will be many people on TSR who can specifically advise on this.

You're not going to be working with "the best doctors in the world" in the US though because as noted it's impossible for IMGs to get residency matches in major cities, where those doctors would almost certainly be working.

The only way you could get to that point is if you distinguish yourself as one of the top of your field then go to the US as an established professional in which case there probably aren't a lot of Americans qualified to that level. Distinguishing yourself in that manner is probably easier in the UK during training and as a consultant here and would not limit you to non-competitive specialties.

Also frankly Im extremely sceptical "the best doctors in the world" all live in the US, and even more skeptical they all trained there. Tbh I find this reasoning even less compelling than thinking you would make a lot of money there - that at least I can understand why one might think that. The whole "best doctors in the world" thing seems to be less grounded in reality and suggests a touch of narcissism with the presumption you would/ought to be working among them (and the implications NHS doctors are not among the best in the world is also questionable).
(edited 2 years ago)
If you must know I wanted to be around the best doctors in the world which my presumption was they would mainy gravitate towards the US from around the world.

:lolwut:
Original post by Democracy
:lolwut:

Meanwhile the inferior doctors of the UK realise where it all went wrong for them.
Reply 10
I am not from the UK or US but a place with the UK-like medical system (I assume, anywhere in the world except the US has the same UK like system). I can assure you, the healthcare for the average working men in the UK is much better than the US from my observation on the Internet. Yeah, lower pay for doctors, but you are enjoying better healthcare benefits welfare than the average US man. Of course, if you are rich, that is another story.
US medicine is a totally different prospect to the UK. I cannot stress this enough.

Just for starters- not just anybody goes to medical school in the USA. If you think the UK tertiary education system has some issues, the USA is going to blow your mind. The bulk of people embarking on a medical degree in the USA will already have a fairly serious undergraduate degree (and a shed load of student debt to go with it) from a fairly serious institution before they even embark on the medical course. Because of this, their syllabus is entire orders of magnitude different from what we would learn in the UK- they will presume you have a lot of biology/biochemical background before you even begin the course and this makes their pre-clinical years a lot more difficult as a result. And then there is the kicker: most of their graduates will have over a quarter of a million dollars in student debt before they do their first shift as a doctor: the federal government does not subsidise medical education as it does in the UK.

Then you have the USMLE exam system which is no place for shrinking violets (from memory it is 8 hours long??) and then their residency programme, during which you can expect an 80 hour working week.

On the face of all that, nah, I'm alright thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending