The Student Room Group

Future with a UK law degree

What are my options in America and Europe with a UK law degree and being a solicitor? I am currently at ULAW PGDL
Reply 1
Firstly, I think you need to figure out where you want to practice, New York bar and California bar qualifications and requirement are both different.

Barbri is a good educational provider to contact for further details.

https://www.barbri.com/extended-bar-course/?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Master+Extended+Campaign+(US,+UK,+CA+%2B+Edits)&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=9769503167&hsa_cam=15571487410&hsa_grp=131901948660&hsa_ad=569715982718&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=dsa-1533147397368&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNnim_PygQMVM4xQBh1tegP3EAAYASAAEgKBoPD_BwE

One of my friend recently flew over from the states and mentioned the increasing number of applicants for remote roles!

Keep up the good work and I’m sure you’ll get to where you need to!
Reply 2
Unlike other professional careers (eg: accounting, finance, consulting etc..), law is more geographically restrictive because legal systems remain very different, "cross qualifying" into working in other jurisdictions usually involves more professional exams and sometimes academic study too. The US is even more fractured with qualification being at a state rather than federal level.

That's not to say you can't work overseas as a lawyer but generally speaking, if a lawyer who's qualified in England & Wale or Scotland is working overseas they will probably be working for an overseas office of one of the large UK centered firms, or a US firm with a large London presence. It's pretty rare for a UK lawyer to actually qualify directly as a French or German lawyer for example.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending