The Student Room Group

Proof by Induction

Hi guys,

After going through most of my first year at college, I seem to get asked a lot about how to answer proof by induction questions correctly. I think that although it seems confusing, you can easily learn a set routine on how to answer them properly, insuring you get full marks.

This is a rough guide:

Basis - Prove the general statement is true for n=1

Assumption - Assume the general statement is true for n=k

Induction - Show that the general statement is true for n=k+1

Conclusion - The general statement is then true for all positive integers, n.

If anybody needs help answering a question that requires anything more specific, please reply! I'm sure me and others would be glad to help.
Reply 1
Hi I was wondering if you have a 'foolproof' conclusion, or at least a structure because the mark scheme ones are quite basic and i wouldn't feel confident writing what they've put down. My FP1 teacher is quite useless so your help would be much appreciated
Reply 2
Original post by rhysd
Hi I was wondering if you have a 'foolproof' conclusion, or at least a structure because the mark scheme ones are quite basic and i wouldn't feel confident writing what they've put down. My FP1 teacher is quite useless so your help would be much appreciated

Sure, which area of induction do you want the help in? Matrices, Series, divisibility or recurrence relationships?

I'd be able to give you a 'foolproof' method along with an example to show you exactly what to do. Obviously the method would have to be adapted slightly for each one, but it's near enough the same.
Reply 3
Mainly for series and divisibility please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending