The Student Room Group

Who should now lead Labour?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambio wechsel
It has to be one of Dan Jarvis, Stella Creasy or Keir Starmer.

Do we actually know much about Dan Jarvis, other than that he's ex-Army?

I can't say that I know much about any of the prospective candidates (except for Burnham) to make a clear choice at the moment.
Rupert Murdock, he represents the ordinary working class.
Keir Starmer is a very interesting suggestion. For me he screams Home or Foreign sec, but the fact he's only been an MP for a few days doesn't put me off.
Original post by americandragon
Do we actually know much about Dan Jarvis, other than that he's ex-Army?

here's a longish interview/profile: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/war-westminster-labours-dan-jarvis-future-prime-minister

I think what we know is that he's not from the political class and that the army background (decorated ex-para etc.) would appeal to rather a lot of the voters Labour lost this time about.
Original post by Zarek
A lot of people are say this, but I don't see it. A safe pair of hands no doubt, deputy material, but I don't see the ruthless leadership and flair of a winner. Mind you I didn't really rate Cameron to cut the mustard..

I think the funny thing that worked in Cameron's favour, other than the obvious that he had no competition, is that his/the coalition's popularity went down below Labour's after only 6 months. I think everyone was worn out from the Cameron hate and got used to it, adapted as humans do to everything. So now the non-Tories have even accepted Cameron's a 'bastard'. If his popularity had gone down in the last few months, the election wouldn't have been won outright at least.

It's quite possible that Cameron is well aware it's likely he wouldn't win the next election. If he won over 323/6 seats, he'd be solely responsible for the hate in the next 5 years. If it was another coalition, with the Lib Dems predictably sinking and Clegg possibly going, he'd be the only consistent object of hate over 10 years and could no longer pass any blame. The economy was his gimmick this time around, but if the economy gets better, no one will care about the economy next election. If the economy sinks, he'll be seen as a failure. The next election is lose-lose for him.

So it's better to pretend you're giving new blood (Boris) a chance to show his stuff and keep your legacy positive, than be forced out and then watch him blitz the election after in comparison and be historically looked at as an inferior leader.
Not another uncharismatic **** that's for sure or they'll be chalking up another election loss for the future. That's what the Tories did against Blair and it kept them out of power for 13 years (thank goodness). Labour don't have a great field to choose from as they used to. Would say though not Yvette Cooper, too boring and stiff, not Andy Burnham, the guy has no presence, Dont think David Lammy really fits the qualities for party leader maybe Mayor of London. Dont think many of the women in the party have the right balance of qualities for party leader. Possibly Chuka Ummana, women seem to like him and seems decent on the presentation front. Not real black either so those with racial bents may not be to nose out of joint. Kind of like an English version of Obama perhaps.
Original post by redferry
The sun backed anyone that wasn't labour In order to get a Tory majority.
The SNP had media backing in Scotland in most outlets bar potentially the BBC

Agreed. ****ing Murdoch.

:frown:

Why even bother with pretense you are a social democrat party of the only way you can get elected is by becoming a right wing Tory lite party. I would take a right wing party that doesn't privatize or outsource the NHS though...

So depressing.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
:frown:

Why even bother with pretense you are a social democrat party of the only way you can get elected is by becoming a right wing Tory lite party. I would take a right wing party that doesn't privatize or outsource the NHS though...

So depressing.

Ypununderstand so little its genuinely embarassing.

Blair pretended to be right but when he got in enacted loads of really left leaning policies. That's the way it works.

You be right to get in, enact left policies once you are in. Ignore Iraq, and look at all the good things Blair achieved. That's a million times better than a Tory government.
Ypununderstand so little its genuinely embarassing.

Blair pretended to be right but when he got in enacted loads of really left leaning policies. That's the way it works.

You be right to get in, enact left policies once you are in. Ignore Iraq, and look at all the good things Blair achieved. That's a million times better than a Tory government.

Conservative popularity sunk like a Lib Dem due to recession and Black Wednesday, long before Blair, who only continued the trend.

There's only really one factor that decides a party's success, and that's the leader themselves. If they're more handsome and charismatic than the other one, they'll be PM more often than not. Unless there's a gimmick like being female or black.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Conservative popularity sunk like a Lib Dem due to recession and Black Wednesday, long before Blair, who only continued the trend.

There's only really one factor that decides a party's success, and that's the leader themselves. If they're more handsome and charismatic than the other one, they'll be PM more often than not. Unless there's a gimmick like being female or black.

I do think though with labour they can't be seen as too posh. Which is why it can't be Tristan hunt. Chuka can get away with it because he is BME but Tristan is just going to be seen as of the same ilk as the Tories.

What worries me though is that survey which said 30% of the electorate wouldn't be happy with a non white leader.
I do think though with labour they can't be seen as too posh. Which is why it can't be Tristan hunt. Chuka can get away with it because he is BME but Tristan is just going to be seen as of the same ilk as the Tories.

What worries me though is that survey which said 30% of the electorate wouldn't be happy with a non white leader.

At some point, one of the parties would do well by bringing in a brutally honest leader. Rather than someone who tries to keep their 'upper class' background quiet, just say "yes, I did have an education, now I want you all to have the same opportunity".

The racism will subside as time and diversification goes on, faster if the economy comes good again and wartime ends and terrorism simmers back down. But Britain will always be xenophobic, it's 'cause of its geography as much as its culture, being a detached island surrounded by a behemoth of foreign landmass.
Oh I really hope David Miliband offers to be leader again for the lols :tongue:
I would like to see what Jarvis is like in a debate/infront of a camera. His story ticks allot of boxes for me. Am also a fan of yvette cooper
All of the candidates are too left for the vast majority of the public, labour wont get back in then with these people.
Original post by ozzyoscy
At some point, one of the parties would do well by bringing in a brutally honest leader. Rather than someone who tries to keep their 'upper class' background quiet, just say "yes, I did have an education, now I want you all to have the same opportunity".

The racism will subside as time and diversification goes on, faster if the economy comes good again and wartime ends and terrorism simmers back down. But Britain will always be xenophobic, it's 'cause of its geography as much as its culture, being a detached island surrounded by a behemoth of foreign landmass.

Thing is though a big part of the reasons labour lost seats in semi rural areas of the midlands and north is because people voted UKIP. I don't see how chuka would help that, as much as I hate to pander to racists :frown:
Thing is though a big part of the reasons labour lost seats in semi rural areas of the midlands and north is because people voted UKIP. I don't see how chuka would help that, as much as I hate to pander to racists :frown:

Labour lost the election by losing seats to the SNP, and because they failed to appeal to the middle classes. It has nothing to do with losing votes to UKIP, as they also take most of their votes off the Tories in the first place.
david miliband

hehehehehe
If Labour are to even stand a chance in Scotland. Here are my recommendations:

- Scottish Labour needs autonomy from UK Labour. So it will no longer be a "Branch Office".

- Scottish Labour needs a leader that represents old Labour values, such as Katy Clark. Having a Blairite as the Leader of Scottish Labour, is like having Gandi as the Leader of the Conservative party. It's just not natural.
Original post by Inexorably
Oh I really hope David Miliband offers to be leader again for the lols :tongue:

I bet David Milliband wishes he never left office now. He could be back within 2 years if the new leader fails to shine. Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall, Andy Burnham all would be incredibly disastrous as voters would not want to vote for them.
Original post by studyworm
Labour lost the election by losing seats to the SNP, and because they failed to appeal to the middle classes. It has nothing to do with losing votes to UKIP, as they also take most of their votes off the Tories in the first place.

I think if you look at the amount of votes lost to ukip in the Midlands, for example, by labour, you'll see that it enabled the conservatives to get in.

Ukip took votes from labour not the Tories. As much as people are refusing to believe it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending