The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Yes it is; it has Russel Group status which tends to bring with it a certain level of prestige.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
It's prestigious but not as highly regarded as it once was in the UK.

Still very well known internationally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for your answers !
Yes
Reply 5
So it is because the university belongs to the Russel Group that she is prestigious ?
Original post by Matzoux
So it is because the university belongs to the Russel Group that she is prestigious ?

Any university that is part of the Russel Group is prestigious.
Reply 7
Original post by AnnaLouii
Any university that is part of the Russel Group is prestigious.

But among the Russel Group, UoM is above the average isn't it ?
Original post by Matzoux
But among the Russel Group, UoM is above the average isn't it ?

Manchester is certainly prestigious - it's a member of the Russell Group, which is often used as shorthand for being a prestigious university. The RG is a group of large, research intensive universities, but in terms of prestige they're broadly equivalent to the Grandes Ecoles.

Where Manchester is within the Russell Group is going to be contested and something of a matter of opinion. It's not at the very top (it's not Oxford or Cambridge), but nor is it at the bottom. Fundamentally it's a good university that turns out very employable graduates (e.g. I graduated from UoM last year, and I applied for three jobs, all of which gave me an interview; UoM is also the UK's most targeted university by the UK's top 100 employers).

You should be aware that the league tables you can often find online are not particularly useful - they measure lots of things, some of which are more useful than others, but one of the things they don't measure is prestige. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1096372
It Is but its also an awful uni don't come here !
Original post by rouzbehrh
It Is but its also an awful uni don't come here !

That's a matter of opinion - I was very happy at Manchester, got a good degree and a good job out of it, and would generally recommend it.

Given that it has both good student satisfaction and employability stats, I think you may be in the minority in your opinion :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What degree did you do? I think the the physics and business school is very good, the life sciences not so much.
Yes, world renowned and wins University Challenge fairly often, but i turned it down WALAHI
What degree?
Original post by rouzbehrh
What degree did you do? I think the the physics and business school is very good, the life sciences not so much.

Politics
Good choice tbf, all the best with your job
Original post by CallumSimpson4
WALAHI
Lol are you Somali
Original post by username1500433
Yes it is; it has Russel Group status which tends to bring with it a certain level of prestige.

I wouldn't say that means its a good university just for being in Russel group. As there are some low ranked Unis that are Russel group so the reality is you should take that with a grain of salt.

Latest

Trending

Trending