The Student Room Group

Considering Social Work-Overcoming hurdles to study

I hope this is the right forum to post this is in, but here's my story. I'm a 24 year old male, almost 25. I was doing a Business Management degree when I was 19 but dropped out after my first year, basically I was offered a promotion at my work place and I took it since I thought it was the type of job I would go into when I finished my degree anyway. I have done very well and worked my way up the career ladder but it is no longer my passion. Over the past 2 years I have had a great want to study Social Work at university. I know this is an intense course and it will involve a work placement, as well as a lot of study. Each month passes and every other day I am researching options to make this happen. I have the option to do An Access course in Social Work with the Distance Learning Centre, I'm considering doing that soon. But when it comes to going to university I will have issues with finances. I have a mortgage, I don't have any children but my partner couldn't support us both on their wage. I would potentially be able to go part time in my current role but I don't know what to do and wondered if anybody else has been in a similar situation and could offer advice.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by tanderson
I hope this is the right forum to post this is in, but here's my story. I'm a 24 year old male, almost 25. I was doing a Business Management degree when I was 19 but dropped out after my first year, basically I was offered a promotion at my work place and I took it since I thought it was the type of job I would go into when I finished my degree anyway. I have done very well and worked my way up the career ladder but it is no longer my passion. Over the past 2 years I have had a great want to study Social Work at university. I know this is an intense course and it will involve a work placement, as well as a lot of study. Each month passes and every other day I am researching options to make this happen. I have the option to do An Access course in Social Work with the Distance Learning Centre, I'm considering doing that soon. But when it comes to going to university I will have issues with finances. I have a mortgage, I don't have any children but my partner couldn't support us both on their wage. I would potentially be able to go part time in my current role but I don't know what to do and wondered if anybody else has been in a similar situation and could offer advice.

Thank you :smile:

There may be loans and grants available to you.

The SFE forum on here might be a good place to start, but if you have a particular university that you are considering applying to, you could try contacting their Student Support service to see if they can give you any advice on grants etc. that they may be able to offer, should you become a student there.

Good luck with it all.

p.s. The degree isn't as intensive as you think. I studied at Sheffield Hallam - for the first year I only had lectures 2 days a week, the 2nd year we had a 3 month placement plus lectures during the remaining time, and in the final year a 6 month placement plus lectures during the remaining time. You'll be told to expect to be in anytime from 8.30 / 9.00 am - 6.00 / 7.00pm, but it's unlikely to be honest. If you are used to working full time anyway, your schedule shouldn't be too taxing, as long as you can plan your independent study time well enough.

Quick Reply

Latest