The Student Room Group

Social Work

Hey, I applied for Social Work at University of Salford and I have an interview coming up on Tuesday. I'd really appreciate it if any of you could help me with the interview questions (what they ask and answers) and any tips you may have. It's the only University I wanna get into at the moment. Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve had two interviews so far. Both asked the main question of ‘why you have chosen this course/want to be a social worker’ ‘Skills that are needed for this profession’
I can’t remember the others unfortunately, hopefully others will reply with more of the questions!
Reply 2
Original post by npenn
I’ve had two interviews so far. Both asked the main question of ‘why you have chosen this course/want to be a social worker’ ‘Skills that are needed for this profession’
I can’t remember the others unfortunately, hopefully others will reply with more of the questions!

Thank you so much!! Have you heard back from the universities you've applied to yet? And if you dont mind could you tell me what you answered to those questions I want to know how to structure my answers properly?
Original post by sarahjane2
Hey, I applied for Social Work at University of Salford and I have an interview coming up on Tuesday. I'd really appreciate it if any of you could help me with the interview questions (what they ask and answers) and any tips you may have. It's the only University I wanna get into at the moment. Thank you:smile:

Not any advice but did you do a Access Course for social work currently doing a a2he course for social work
Reply 4
Original post by Tashamac98
Not any advice but did you do a Access Course for social work currently doing a a2he course for social work

Hey, no I didn't im currently doing social science in college which is criminology, psychology, and law. What's a a2he course?
Hey, no I didn't im currently doing social science in college which is criminology, psychology, and law. What's a a2he course?

It’s Access to Higher Education but mine is just literally social work
Reply 6

I applied to do learning disability nursing and social work (integrated practice) at Salford University and have an interview next month for it. I have interview online for Sheffield Hallam to do the same course on Wednesday, Salford is on my doorstep so really want to go there.

They normally ask questions like:
What motivates you to become a social worker?
What skills does a social worker need and if you have them apply it to where you’ve used it.
They’ll also ask if you have any experience within like a care home or volunteering.
They also ask that how you would deal with the stress and the work overload of becoming a social worker.
These are questions what I got asked for my interviews.
But I do recommend looking at their skills. They may also ask questions relating to a case study which they provide you with questions. Do you have a group interview as well?
Reply 8
Original post by Bipsy
I applied to do learning disability nursing and social work (integrated practice) at Salford University and have an interview next month for it. I have interview online for Sheffield Hallam to do the same course on Wednesday, Salford is on my doorstep so really want to go there.

Hey, since its interviewed by the same admissions team i'll let you know how it goes (even though I know its not the same subject) im nervous!!
Reply 9
Original post by Maariya02
What skills does a social worker need and if you have them apply it to where you’ve used it.
They’ll also ask if you have any experience within like a care home or volunteering.
They also ask that how you would deal with the stress and the work overload of becoming a social worker.
But I do recommend looking at their skills. They may also ask questions relating to a case study which they provide you with questions. Do you have a group interview as well?

Hey, ive not been told about it being a group interview so if it is im gonna be so nervous😭 im really bad at group interviews. But thank you so much im going to go over these questions and make sure I have the answers. Ive gone over most of these but need to make sure I remember! What unis have you applied to? And how long do they take to give you a reply from the interview?
Reply 10

For Lancaster Uni i think there's a group interview but its online so I dont think it's gonna be that bad
Reply 11
For Lancaster Uni i think there's a group interview but its online so I dont think it's gonna be that bad

It’s a group writing task for Sheffield Hallam and then an interview later on.

Hey @sarahjane2,

I hope your interview went well! I'm guessing it was today from your message!

Here are some Social Work interview FAQs for the University of Salford that might be helpful for you! 😀

What do I need to bring to my interview?
You will need to produce your photo ID at registration, so please make sure you have this with you.
You will not need to show us your certificates at the interview stage; we only examine certificates for those students who are made an offer post-interview.

What will happen at my interview?
The individual interviews with the Admissions Tutors will last around 35 minutes, but we advise that you allow for up to two hours for the interview depending on your individual interview slot time.
The interview panel may consist of lecturers, clinicians, service users and students.

What will I be assessed on?

Your passion for a career in Social Work

Knowledge of the course

Knowledge of the role of a Social Worker

The values you demonstrate in your responses

Your interpersonal skills

If you have any more questions - I'll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
Katie 😀 (Offical Salford Rep)
Hey, ive not been told about it being a group interview so if it is im gonna be so nervous😭 im really bad at group interviews. But thank you so much im going to go over these questions and make sure I have the answers. Ive gone over most of these but need to make sure I remember! What unis have you applied to? And how long do they take to give you a reply from the interview?

I applied to: uni of leeds, Leeds Beckett, Manchester met, Bradford and uni of Huddersfield. My I got an interview within a month and a bit but Huddersfield for me did take quite long to give me an interview. I heard back from the within a week or two about my offers.

I wouldn’t stress about the group interviews because it is usually good when it gets started and you’ll feel less nervous.
Reply 14
Original post by University of Salford
Hey @sarahjane2,
I hope your interview went well! I'm guessing it was today from your message!
Here are some Social Work interview FAQs for the University of Salford that might be helpful for you! 😀
What do I need to bring to my interview?
You will need to produce your photo ID at registration, so please make sure you have this with you.
You will not need to show us your certificates at the interview stage; we only examine certificates for those students who are made an offer post-interview.
What will happen at my interview?
The individual interviews with the Admissions Tutors will last around 35 minutes, but we advise that you allow for up to two hours for the interview depending on your individual interview slot time.
The interview panel may consist of lecturers, clinicians, service users and students.
What will I be assessed on?

Your passion for a career in Social Work

Knowledge of the course

Knowledge of the role of a Social Worker

The values you demonstrate in your responses

Your interpersonal skills

If you have any more questions - I'll be more than happy to help.
Thanks,
Katie 😀 (Offical Salford Rep)

Hey! Thank u so much i had my interview and got an offer!!
Reply 15
I applied to: uni of leeds, Leeds Beckett, Manchester met, Bradford and uni of Huddersfield. My I got an interview within a month and a bit but Huddersfield for me did take quite long to give me an interview. I heard back from the within a week or two about my offers.
I wouldn’t stress about the group interviews because it is usually good when it gets started and you’ll feel less nervous.

Hey thank u sm for your help, i still was very nervous for some reason but i ended up getting an offer a few hours after my interview even tho i kept blanking out😭
Reply 16
Original post by Bipsy

Hey, i had my interview and the learning disability integrated practice and social work interviews are together. It isn't too bad they ask the basic questions but its still an individual interview even tho they bring in everyone all together into a hall. They have a few separated tables behind and there are about 5 different interviews that interview you on set a set b and set c questions. Set A has one question set b has 2 questions and set 3 has 3 questions. Theyre really nice interviewers and it isn't intimidating at all. Good luck and I hope it all goes well! (I would tell u the questions I got asked but im not sure what they ask for the learning disabilities course if you would still like to know what they asked me feel free to ask!)
Reply 17
Hey, i had my interview and the learning disability integrated practice and social work interviews are together. It isn't too bad they ask the basic questions but its still an individual interview even tho they bring in everyone all together into a hall. They have a few separated tables behind and there are about 5 different interviews that interview you on set a set b and set c questions. Set A has one question set b has 2 questions and set 3 has 3 questions. Theyre really nice interviewers and it isn't intimidating at all. Good luck and I hope it all goes well! (I would tell u the questions I got asked but im not sure what they ask for the learning disabilities course if you would still like to know what they asked me feel free to ask!)

I would like to know please, I've been looking into both professions, I will appreciate the help. Thank you.
Reply 18
Original post by Bipsy
I would like to know please, I've been looking into both professions, I will appreciate the help. Thank you.
For set A they asked me what skills do you need to be a social worker. Set B they asked what experience do you have and why did u pick social work. Set C they asked if im aware of discrimination or what I know about discrimination regarding social work? something along those lines. She then asked what im looking forward to learn about during the course. I also think she asked why im passionate about social work? Something related to that im so sorry I forgot. Then she made me read a case study about a 17 year old wanting to move out and live independently after living in a care home her whole life. The question at the bottom was what advice I would give to her. Im not sure if these are the questions that they will definitely ask you as Ive heard they do switch the interview questions each time to make it fair but id recommend to do your research to answer those cause they always come up in any interview! If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. I was really really nervous and kept blanking out i thought i wouldnt get an offer on my way home and got sad but i actually did so don't stress too much like i did😭
Reply 19
For set A they asked me what skills do you need to be a social worker. Set B they asked what experience do you have and why did u pick social work. Set C they asked if im aware of discrimination or what I know about discrimination regarding social work? something along those lines. She then asked what im looking forward to learn about during the course. I also think she asked why im passionate about social work? Something related to that im so sorry I forgot. Then she made me read a case study about a 17 year old wanting to move out and live independently after living in a care home her whole life. The question at the bottom was what advice I would give to her. Im not sure if these are the questions that they will definitely ask you as Ive heard they do switch the interview questions each time to make it fair but id recommend to do your research to answer those cause they always come up in any interview! If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. I was really really nervous and kept blanking out i thought i wouldnt get an offer on my way home and got sad but i actually did so don't stress too much like i did😭

Thank you hun, well done for being offered a place on the course. Are you from Manchester?

Quick Reply

Latest