The Student Room Group

National 5 Biology- Photosynthesis

N5 biology exam is tomorrow :/

Does anyone know whether or not the first stage of photosynthesis (aka photolysis- when water is broken down to oxygen and water) is enzyme-controlled?
I've looked it up but some websites say yes and some say no. :/

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know a general list of things to be kept constant in experiments?
:smile:
I'm doing higher this year and they haven't said anything about photolysis being enzyme controlled :/
I know that the kalvin cycle (stage 2) is, I would have thought we would have been told if photolysis was aswell. There't not much happening that enzymes would control, only the splitting of water and that is done by the light energy that is converted to chemical energy. The generation of ATP is by energy released from the splitting water bond.

Experiment constants..

Volumes
Concentrations
Tissue samples should be taken from the same plant/source
Temperature (in some circumstances)
Time

are the most common ones
Original post by It's_Ailie
I'm doing higher this year and they haven't said anything about photolysis being enzyme controlled :/
I know that the kalvin cycle (stage 2) is, I would have thought we would have been told if photolysis was aswell. There't not much happening that enzymes would control, only the splitting of water and that is done by the light energy that is converted to chemical energy. The generation of ATP is by energy released from the splitting water bond.

Experiment constants..

Volumes
Concentrations
Tissue samples should be taken from the same plant/source
Temperature (in some circumstances)
Time

are the most common ones

Thanks so much :smile: yeah, my notes say that stage 2 is enzyme-controlled but they don't specify whether photolysis is :/
This diagram confuses me... 90% is lost as "heat and undigested materials" and 10% is passed on, so where does the 10% of energy that is used to make new biomass come from?
So the 90% is lost as the organism is living, as it gives off heat and poos stuff out. However, when it gets eaten by the next level, there is still energy in the plant - 10% - and the animal that has eaten it makes use of this energy to grow. That's where the new biomass come from.
Original post by mariabrightside
x

sorry forgot to quote you :smile:
So the 90% is lost as the organism is living, as it gives off heat and poos stuff out. However, when it gets eaten by the next level, there is still energy in the plant - 10% - and the animal that has eaten it makes use of this energy to grow. That's where the new biomass come from.

Ah okay :smile: Thank you so much for your help!
Ah okay :smile: Thank you so much for your help!

That's absolutely fine, I'm happy to help! If there's anything else you're stuck on just ask :smile:
That's absolutely fine, I'm happy to help! If there's anything else you're stuck on just ask :smile:

Sorry about this! Is the 10% of the total energy gained by the consumer used for making new biomass? :s-smilie:
Thank you :biggrin:
Okay say an organism had 100kJ of energy. When it gets eaten by the next organism on the food chain, that organism receives 10 of those 100kJ. The other 90kJ are lost. The organism then uses all of that 10kJ to carry out cellular processes and growth and stuff. It just adds on to whatever energy they had already in them.
Okay say an organism had 100kJ of energy. When it gets eaten by the next organism on the food chain, that organism receives 10 of those 100kJ. The other 90kJ are lost. The organism then uses all of that 10kJ to carry out cellular processes and growth and stuff. It just adds on to whatever energy they had already in them.

So it uses all 10kJ just for building new biomass... or 10% of 10kJ?
(edited 8 years ago)
So it uses all 10kJ just for building new biomass... or 10% of 10kJ?

10kJ, because the first animal had 100kJ. 10% is passed on and 10% of 100kJ = 10kJ
10kJ, because the first animal had 100kJ. 10% is passed on and 10% of 100kJ = 10kJ

But isn't some of that 10kJ used for movement etc? Sorry about this :smile:
It seems everyone else was taught it's called photolysis but I was doing model papers and they call it the ''light dependent stage'' in the answers. Does anyone why this is and will you get marks off for saying photolysis?
Original post by emma_georgia998
It seems everyone else was taught it's called photolysis but I was doing model papers and they call it the ''light dependent stage'' in the answers. Does anyone why this is and will you get marks off for saying photolysis?

That is what we call it too. You can call it photolysis, light dependent stage or stage 1- they're all the same. However, if a question specifically asks you to 'name stage 1 of photosynthesis', then you should say photolysis, as that is the 'scientific' name for it :smile:
But isn't some of that 10kJ used for movement etc? Sorry about this :smile:

Yeah I think so. But we don't do this in higher, so i haven't don't all that for a year you may want to check with your biology teacher before your exam tomorrow if that's possible.
Although if they ask you a question about it its likely to be something like they give you the energy of an organism and ask you how much will be passed on to the next level.
There could also be a question saying "what happens to the 90% of energy that is lost?" or something along those lines…as far as i can remember anyway :smile:
Yeah I think so. But we don't do this in higher, so i haven't don't all that for a year you may want to check with your biology teacher before your exam tomorrow if that's possible.
Although if they ask you a question about it its likely to be something like they give you the energy of an organism and ask you how much will be passed on to the next level.
There could also be a question saying "what happens to the 90% of energy that is lost?" or something along those lines…as far as i can remember anyway :smile:

I have asked and you've been so much more helpful lol thanks so much :biggrin:
Does anyone know if ethanol can be added to pitfall traps to stop the trapped animals escaping?
N5 biology exam is tomorrow :/

Does anyone know whether or not the first stage of photosynthesis (aka photolysis- when water is broken down to oxygen and water) is enzyme-controlled?
I've looked it up but some websites say yes and some say no. :/

Yes photolysis is enzyme controlled. A rule of thumb is that most reactions are otherwise they would simply be too slow.

Original post by emma_georgia998

Officially the light dependent stage and photolysis are different. They are not interchangeable terms. Photolysis is the splitting of water to oxygen, elections and protons using light. The light dependent stage is the whole reaction that occurs using photosystem I and II resulting in the production of NADPH, ATP and O2. Photolysis is part of this but it is not the light dependent reaction itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending