The Student Room Group

How to get A stars in a-level?

How many hours of revision should I do in the holidays to get A stars....like how many did anyone who got them do in the y12 hols and then in y13...and is it too late to get those grades if i start working really hard for the next 9 ish months...
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
How many hours of revision should I do in the holidays to get A stars....like how many did anyone who got them do in the y12 hols and then in y13...and is it too late to get those grades if i start working really hard for the next 9 ish months...

It’s not about how many hours will definitely get you A star grades, it’s about what works best for you. If you study hours and hours a day and get burnt out really quickly that’s not going to achieve positive results. Some people can work like that, others can’t, so it’s really not as black and white as how long a day.

I recommend looking at various study guides and take a week or two (or longer) to find out what method of studying is most productive for you. Finding your ideal study space is key to absorbing revision effectively.

Practice papers are also a great way to put your revision to practical use; by doing previous official questions you’re gaining the skills required for the actual exams! Practice a lot, but not enough to burn yourself out!

Hope this helps,
Dom
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
What a levels do you do

Depends on what your current attainment is and in what subjects. Some methods just happen to work better for some subjects than others.

My general advice for the A levels I did last year can be found here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790
Original post by Mnarz786
What a levels do you do

aqa biology
aqa chemistry
aqa english literature
Original post by TypicalNerd
Depends on what your current attainment is and in what subjects. Some methods just happen to work better for some subjects than others.

My general advice for the A levels I did last year can be found here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

thnx
Reply 6
aqa biology
aqa chemistry
aqa english literature

Okay light. Idk abt english but I did bio chem and psych. If you’re not doing med and not doing ucat you have just over a month. Split that 5 weeks. In those 5 weeks get the notes for first topic of bio and chem done. So that’s photosynthesis for bio and thermodynamics for chem
Original post by Mnarz786
Okay light. Idk abt english but I did bio chem and psych. If you’re not doing med and not doing ucat you have just over a month. Split that 5 weeks. In those 5 weeks get the notes for first topic of bio and chem done. So that’s photosynthesis for bio and thermodynamics for chem

thnx for ur help. so do u mean like make prep notes for y13-first topics....i was planning on doing that near the middle-end of hols and in the beg finishing off bio and chem notes and actually doing eng lit notes and revising y12 content...but i was gonna do like the first half of 2 bio topics as in my school we get taught 2 topics at atime for bio and chem....what do u think? i would appreciate any advise u have :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest