The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Shed End
Costa was out for around the same amount of time that Giroud was last season, Giroud is a bit of a flat-track bully in all honesty.

Thoughts on Costa's lack of goals in other competitions?

Giroud seemed to turn a corner in the big games last season tbh The whole team did. Giroud got a couple of goals against Liverpool, United, City, Monaco and in the FA Cup final
Reply 4161
Original post by Zürich
That and the fact our team system has slowly developed to be centred around Giroud playing with his back to goal. We talk about how we're settled and ready to compete for the title but what would happen if we went out and changed striker? Another 6 months of stop start fluidity I'll bet so it's always a trade off.

Obviously if we could sign a Lewandowski it'd be worth the risk but at this stage we're not going to land that kind of world class striker and so marginal upgrades on Giroud as an individual would probably swing back against us in terms of system and fluidity etc.

For a huge part of last season, I wanted us to sign someone like Lewandowski because I've always thought that Giroud would be the perfect striker to play alongside a predator. Have always valued what he brought to the team, and how he maintained the fluidity upfront (Wilshere's goal vs Norwich is a perfect example).

The only thing he's lacked over his first two seasons was his ability to be clinical, at times he needed more than a handful of clear cut chances to convert, but over the course of last season he's shown a real improvement - like I said, he almost equalled his goals tally from the season before despite being out till Christmas. So its got to a point where I wouldn't say we need a striker as a top top priority.

Solidarity means a lot to Arsene, mentions it in almost every post match interview and thats basically whats going to help this team push for the title.
(edited 8 years ago)
Walcott and santi extensions are very good news, symbolic of the position we are in and that our core squad wants to stay not go
Original post by Fizzel
Its rough, 14/15: 5/0 in 442mins 13/14: 5/4 in 859mins 12/13: 14/10 in 2286mins 11/12: 8/8 in 2749 10/11: 9/7 in 1696. He's possibly benefitting from having lower mins over the season but 11/12 aside that's 100 odds mins in the league.

The lower minutes are probably helping him but when there's consistency shown like here, it can be discounted, and there are no doubt goals in routs. But Silva and Hazard's best seasons are 130-140, and they're the best attacking mids in this league. Obviously Walcott is deployed further forward but for him to be at ~100 minutes or under for 4 of the last 5 seasons is definitely elite. Always rated him as a Pedro-esque player with a 1 in 3 record but those figures make him look up there with the best (which he isn't overall, but for end product he is).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko
Thoughts on Costa's lack of goals in other competitions?

Giroud seemed to turn a corner in the big games last season tbh The whole team did. Giroud got a couple of goals against Liverpool, United, City, Monaco and in the FA Cup final

Giroud scored a consolation goal against us in the 94th min, scored against Liverpool to make it 4-1 in added time, scored against Villa in the cup right in added time when you're already 3 up. Only big goal was City away, Monaco possibly.

Meanwhile Costa winner at Anfield, wrapped up points against Arsenal, scored in Madrid derby's for Atléti etc. There's no comparison to be made here, Diego's got it all and Giroud is one dimensional (albeit very very good at what he does).
(edited 8 years ago)
Giroud was good last season, no getting round that. Look at match winning goals, NPK goals/90, the conversion rate of those goals, his total shots per goal. He's certainly developing into a much more ruthless striker, on par with the top strikers, but I still think he's prone to streaks. Last season his limited minutes did a lot to conceal his weakness which is is droughts. Unless he can turn those into full season performances he be lacking when asked to put in 3000 mins seasons. Hence I don't back Sev's prediction of 30+ goals in all comps (hate that measure btw), I just don't think his numbers will scale like that.
Original post by Depleted
Giroud scored a consolation goal against us in the 94th min, scored against Liverpool to make it 4-1 in added time, scored against Villa in the cup right in added time when you're already 3 up. Only big goal was City away, Monaco possibly.

Meanwhile Costa winner at Anfield, wrapped up points against Arsenal, scored in Madrid derby's for Atléti etc. There's no comparison to be made here, Diego's got it all and Giroud is one dimensional (albeit very very good at what he does).

I wasn't comparing Giroud and Costa ability to score important goals in big matches. Shed said Giroud is a flat track bully I provided facts to counter that idea. Although I think the context of each goal scored in these big matches can raise valid question marks about the quality of the player, to be on the score sheet against a big team is important to a certain extent. Don't forget about the actual performance too.

That goal against United wasn't a consolation btw there were still 5 more mins to play
It depends how you define streak striker really. Consistently scoring goals from November to March isn't a hot streak, it's solid form. Obviously the end of season form is pretty dry. The whole team was garbage during that period, the motivation dropped after the Chelsea draw. They were blatant victims of overplaying and zero rotation. It was only when a reinvigorated Theo and Jack came back into the side we started looking good again.

So according to you and your immaculate metric, costa and giroud both scored same amount of big game goals last year, yet there's no comparison to be made?

How is a striker, that's vital to the build up play of his team including quick one twos, hold up plays etc and also required to make runs and get on end of chances , including aerially, one dimensional btw.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
We cant buy what isnt for sale.
So annoying that in any other position, you can basically go out and pick a top quality player but at striker there are literally zero available options, and that's been the case for years.

21st century coaching would appear to have killed the striker and all we have to show for it are an endless parade of CAMs

Giroud gets stick but if we tried to replace him we'd be ****ed, never mind upgrading on him.

Not disagreeing as United have the same problem. But case could be made for CB too. Bar Otamendi who has a (fairly high) release clause, there is a real drought on quality CBs that are actually available.

Midfield about the only place this summer with some good options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by atom y humber
So according to you and your immaculate metric, costa and giroud both scored same amount of big game goals last year, yet there's no comparison to be made?

How is a striker, that's vital to the build up play of his team including quick one twos, hold up plays etc and also required to make runs and get on end of chances , including aerially, one dimensional btw.

Yes there's no comparison to be made, when did Giroud score the winner in a big game?

He's mainly reliant on his physicality, which encompasses him playing and holding off defenders to lay the ball off, and then when in the box to get the jump on CB's. He's good at it, very good but Diego is all action, he can run the channels, he's pacy, strong, can dribble, immense work rate and lethal.
Yes there's no comparison to be made, when did Giroud score the winner in a big game?

He's mainly reliant on his physicality, which encompasses him playing and holding off defenders to lay the ball off, and then when in the box to get the jump on CB's. He's good at it, very good but Diego is all action, he can run the channels, he's pacy, strong, can dribble, immense work rate and lethal.

Yeah I think it's daft to compare the two. Giroud needs to prove himself over a season and deliver the goods like Costa did last season. There's no doubt he does well for the way we play but I still think we'd be better off with an out and out striker.

His performance against Monaco should not be forgotten so quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as much action as:

gr8 way to end this page
Anyway what are your predicted line ups tomorrow for us?
About time Hayden went on loan somewhere, glad its at Hull.

Original post by leinad2012
Walcott and santi extensions are very good news, symbolic of the position we are in and that our core squad wants to stay not go

Indeed. Those days are over, honestly thought Santi would leave. And Oooft Giroud...fine as always.
Original post by Stefano93

I'd like to see Theo start. He made for these type of big matches. I think he'll be very effective
Original post by Stefano93

Cech
Bellerin Mert Kos Monreal
Coquelin Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Ox
Giroud

Not sure if they're all fit, but ideally this. I'd like to see Santi and Wilshere come on for Ozil and Ramsey around the 60 mins mark, and perhaps Akpom for Giroud with 15-20 mins to go.

If Ramsey/Wilshere starts on the wing tomorrow.....
Giroud needs a big game vs Chelsea tbh, not necessarily a goal but he needs to win a few 50/50s vs Terry and influence the play because his record against them is nothing short of shocking.

Walcott has a very nice record vs Chelsea though so I'd expect him to be the goal-scorer if anyone, especially with Chelsea inevitably sitting deep we'll need width.

Santi and Ramsey shouldnt be shy about shooting from distance too.
Original post by Stalin
Cech
Bellerin Mert Kos Monreal
Coquelin Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Ox
Giroud

Not sure if they're all fit, but ideally this. I'd like to see Santi and Wilshere come on for Ozil and Ramsey around the 60 mins mark, and perhaps Akpom for Giroud with 15-20 mins to go.

If Ramsey/Wilshere starts on the wing tomorrow.....

We really going with Bellerin over Debuchy? Hazard will make minced meat out of him

How is this a thing?
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest