The Student Room Group

math problems

hi guys.i tried differenciating y=1/(5x+3) using both standard derivation and by first principles and it gave me 2 different answers.can someone explain that: for the first principles derivation i got dy/dx=-5/(5x+3)^2 and by standard derivation i got 1/-25x^2-30x-9.
Original post by yap2
hi guys.i tried differenciating y=1/(5x+3) using both standard derivation and by first principles and it gave me 2 different answers.can someone explain that: for the first principles derivation i got dy/dx=-5/(5x+3)^2 and by standard derivation i got 1/-25x^2-30x-9.

Moved to the maths forum :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by yap2

Do you have to do it from first principles?
Reply 3
Original post by IAMADAM27
Wow that sum is hard... Not as hard as your mum got me though!

I do not think this helps him do the question ...
Original post by TeeEm

Me neither.
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
Do you have to do it from first principles?

yeah.it's an assignment and our class just got introduced to calculus.what i know is that once i have solved a sum using first principles, i have to use standard derivation to prove that the answer is correct.so, yes.
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm

can someone please provide a solution?
Reply 7
Original post by yap2
yeah.it's an assignment and our class just got introduced to calculus.what i know is that once i have solved a sum using first principles, i have to use standard derivation to prove that the answer is correct.so, yes.

A bit of messy algebra

I am not allowed to put full workings to the problem

I will do a similar one and see if this helps you with yours.
Reply 8
Original post by yap2
can someone please provide a solution?

it is against the rules to provide a solution, particularly if it is an assignment/homework.

Attachment not found

However I made a similar question to yours and you may find it useful to do your question
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
it is against the rules to provide a solution, particularly if it is an assignment/homework.

Attachment not found

However I made a similar question to yours and you may find it useful to do your question

thanks for the help but i wanted to know if solving the same sum using standard derivation gives the same result.
Reply 10
Original post by yap2
thanks for the help but i wanted to know if solving the same sum using standard derivation gives the same result.

sorry but I do not follow your question.
Original post by yap2

It should give the same result.
Reply 12
Original post by yap2

The "standard derivation" would surely be to use the chain rule or the quotient rule, and you should get exactly the same answer as the one you quoted as the "first principles" answer!
Original post by yap2

Try taking the bottom expression up to the top and then differentiating the top as a bracket. So for example:

y=1/x+1

is also equal to:

y=(x+1)-1

You then differentiate the bracket as a whole and multiply by the derivative of what's inside the bracket.
Reply 14
Original post by rayquaza17
It should give the same result.

thanks.got it

Quick Reply

Latest