The Student Room Group

2nd year success

How to succeed in second year? This year its worth 50% of my grade and I study econ.

In year 1 I struggled with problem solving and critical thinking in macro and micro but averaged a 2:1 overall

I'd like to get a first this year so how can I improve my grades as well as develop problem solving and critical thinking?
Original post by Anonymous
How to succeed in second year? This year its worth 50% of my grade and I study econ.

In year 1 I struggled with problem solving and critical thinking in macro and micro but averaged a 2:1 overall

I'd like to get a first this year so how can I improve my grades as well as develop problem solving and critical thinking?

Problem solving is a skill that requires you to practice. Economics is partly maths, so you would need to practice problem solving with maths as you would in A Level Maths. A lot of the material would be regurgitating the derivation of the soluctions, so I would memorise the steps in your lecture notes, where relevant.
If you need more practice problems, your best source is likely the questions at the end of the chapter of your textbooks.

Critical thinking requires you to play devil's advocate with any line of reasoning. Throw in reflective questions like:

So what? What's significant about this argument?

How does this compare or weighed compared to other factors/arguments?

What's wrong with this picture?

Where doesn't this line of thinking apply? Why?

Where does this line of thinking apply? Why?

What are the counterarguments/theories, alternatives, developments?

Where possible, quote or use critical thinking or ntoes from journal articles that you have read (especially from the recommended reading section of your unit outline relevant to the topic you're writing about)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending