The Student Room Group

AQA Government and Politics, Unit 01 - People, Politics and Participation - June 1st

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks guys to both of you, yeah I was hoping for a question about FPTP in some form, preferable something about whether it should be replaced cos the general election really gave us clear examples for this. Looking at the June 2010 paper which was also after an election, the Election questions seem fairly nice:
(a) Outline two functions of elections.(5)
(b) Explain three advantages of the ‘first past the post’ electoral system.(10)
(c) Make out a case in favour of the introduction of proportional representation forWestminster elections.(25)

Just hope they go for similar questions this time around but possibly with disadvantage of FPTP.
Reply 21
It might be benefits/disadvantages of PR with UKIP stuff, or maybe referendums with reference to the IndyRef??
Does anyone know where we can find model answers? I've seen one posted on the AQA website but they only have average scoring papers.
Original post by rory.hosty
Does anyone know where we can find model answers? I've seen one posted on the AQA website but they only have average scoring papers.

Im also looking for some of these just to look over the structure of my answers
is referendums as a 25 mark not most likely to come up because electoral systems has came up 3x and referendums 2x plus the socttish independence referendum etc
Original post by moose409
is referendums as a 25 mark not most likely to come up because electoral systems has came up 3x and referendums 2x plus the socttish independence referendum etc

can anyone put up a short structure to each mark question? would be grateful
Original post by duranthian
can anyone put up a short structure to each mark question? would be grateful

These aren't quite structures but doing the following will help you to get an A:

5 Marks:

Define term(s). Keep it concise and unambiguous.

Don't just give a generic dictionary definition; centre it around it's use in politics.

Provide material in extract and/or own knowledge.

Use at least one example to support your answer.

10 Marks:

Define relevant terms early in answer

It's better to identify three or four main points and tackle them well than deal with six or seven points in a superficial fashion. Basically don't waffle and the good ol' fashion "quality over quantity"

Provide a clear focus on the precise terms of the question, right from the start, perhaps by making explicit reference to words or phrases in the question itself.

Make reference to any debates or controversies surrounding the topic under discussion.

25 Marks:

Define key terms early and focus on precise terms of the question posed from the outset. It's a good idea to periodically quote phrases or key words periodically throughout your answer.

Impose a clear analytical structure from the outset. Use four factors, with one developed paragraph per factor. Link each paragraph back to the question (this is where having a good plan comes in handy as you will make sure all of your points are relevant; no good finishing a paragraph and realising it doesn't hold any relevance to the question.)

Try to provide some balance in your answer i.e. avoid presenting an answer. Also try to be objective, even if you feel strongly about the subject you're talking about.

Integrate political theory alongside supporting examples.

Remember that 6 marks are available for communication. This means not only demonstrating sound spelling, punctuation and grammar; you also need to make use of subject-specific vocabulary.

I know that this isn't a structure as such, but as I said before I believe it should be of some help.
Does anyone have a vocab list for political parties?
I'm quite worried as I'm still quite unsure about this topic.
Reply 28
For electoral systems I think it there will be a 25 marker on referenda. It alternates year on year and last year was literally the nicest question on FPTP, don't see how they could ask a question that was different enough. But that's just my oppinion
Reply 29
I did this exam last year and got an A. I think as long as you know the basics it's easy to get an A (as long as you write well). My advise is for the 25 marks try to write in a very argumentative fashion/debate style. Keep giving counter points and analyse and evaluate your points in depth by giving examples. Examples are very very important in this exam and you should try to use them wherever possible. Overall this exam is honestly one that can be revised for a few days before (for anyone stressing out that they haven't done much revision.) past papers are a good way to get prepared and I would advice anyone to start answering the easiest questions on the real paper to give yourself a boost of confidence. Then you can tackle the harder/tricky ones. Timing is key in this exam! For the 5 markers I would suggest not analysing but giving examples to your definition. The 10 markers I think it would help by quoting from the extract to make sure you are using the extract. Good luck guys, and don't stress too much. Unit 2 is the big beast :tongue:
Reply 30
Also the questions I advise on doing are voting behaviour and electoral systems because there's not much they can ask on them (no room for creativity) they will always be for and against. Whereas for pressure groups they can ask pretty much anything. Otherwise it's your own choice. Do whichever you think you understand best. :smile:
Hi guys,

What are you all learning in terms of factual examples for the participation and electoral systems questions? I can only really think of learning general election turnouts and the theorists in terms of the voting behaviour theories...
Reply 33
Does anyone know where I can find practise questions (other than previous papers)?
Original post by SamRondeau
These aren't quite structures but doing the following will help you to get an A:

5 Marks:

Define term(s). Keep it concise and unambiguous.

Don't just give a generic dictionary definition; centre it around it's use in politics.

Provide material in extract and/or own knowledge.

Use at least one example to support your answer.

10 Marks:

Define relevant terms early in answer

It's better to identify three or four main points and tackle them well than deal with six or seven points in a superficial fashion. Basically don't waffle and the good ol' fashion "quality over quantity"

Provide a clear focus on the precise terms of the question, right from the start, perhaps by making explicit reference to words or phrases in the question itself.

Make reference to any debates or controversies surrounding the topic under discussion.

25 Marks:

Define key terms early and focus on precise terms of the question posed from the outset. It's a good idea to periodically quote phrases or key words periodically throughout your answer.

Impose a clear analytical structure from the outset. Use four factors, with one developed paragraph per factor. Link each paragraph back to the question (this is where having a good plan comes in handy as you will make sure all of your points are relevant; no good finishing a paragraph and realising it doesn't hold any relevance to the question.)

Try to provide some balance in your answer i.e. avoid presenting an answer. Also try to be objective, even if you feel strongly about the subject you're talking about.

Integrate political theory alongside supporting examples.

Remember that 6 marks are available for communication. This means not only demonstrating sound spelling, punctuation and grammar; you also need to make use of subject-specific vocabulary.

I know that this isn't a structure as such, but as I said before I believe it should be of some help.

Thank you so much for this :smile:
Reply 35
when using references to real life stuff, would it be appropriate to talk of personal experience to back up points? like giving examples of themes and ideas people in my constituency said whilst I was knocking on doors last month?
Any likely questions for voting behaviour and pressure groups?
Original post by Danb1996
Any likely questions for voting behaviour and pressure groups?

I think theres a 90% chance of pressure groups or single issue nationalist parties coming up in context with referendums or the succes of referendums
Original post by duranthian
I think theres a 90% chance of pressure groups or single issue nationalist parties coming up in context with referendums or the succes of referendums

What would be the arguments for success of referendums?
Original post by _moriartea
when using references to real life stuff, would it be appropriate to talk of personal experience to back up points? like giving examples of themes and ideas people in my constituency said whilst I was knocking on doors last month?

The AQA document on structure advises an academic, impersonal style so maybe not. If you really feel it's relevant to the question, or if you're talking about contact based participation, then it might be suitable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending