The Student Room Group

Conservatives are banning TV shows they don't like.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/mays-plan-to-censor-tv-programmes-condemned-by-tory-cabinet-colleague

The whole Charlie Hebdo event just seems so ridiculous now.

The censorships that May is planning are FAR more extensive and intrusive than the prevention of drawing a single man. Yet where is the outrage. Where are the millions going out to march against these proposals ?
Firstly, the mainstream media tends to hush up demonstrations. Small-scale ones took place throughout the last parliament and probably before as well without being properly reported.

What might have more to do with the lack of outrage is the fact that the Tory cabinet hasn't donned balaclavas and started walking around the streets of London shooting people dead. (Though God knows it's surely only a matter of time!)
Original post by scrotgrot
Firstly, the mainstream media tends to hush up demonstrations. Small-scale ones took place throughout the last parliament and probably before as well without being properly reported.

What might have more to do with the lack of outrage is the fact that the Tory cabinet hasn't donned balaclavas and started walking around the streets of London shooting people dead. (Though God knows it's surely only a matter of time!)

Which ones were hushed up.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Which ones were hushed up.

Well, not reported on or downplayed then.
Well, not reported on or downplayed then.

Such as?
What does outrage solve?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Theresa May is an enemy to liberty and the freedoms our grandparents fought for. He gut reaction to any opposition is to ban it. Thatcher and Blair were authoritarian enough, she as Prime Minister would probably make them look like freedom fighters.
Reply 7
Original post by DiddyDec
What does outrage solve?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would show that people are not stupid. It just irritates me when all these people are like "Je Suis Charlie" and "this is a fight for freedom" but then turn a blind eye to what their own government is doing to them.
I honestly believed that the average person in this country was fairly intelligent. Clearly I was wrong.
Original post by Xin Xang
It would show that people are not stupid. It just irritates me when all these people are like "Je Suis Charlie" and "this is a fight for freedom" but then turn a blind eye to what their own government is doing to them.
I honestly believed that the average person in this country was fairly intelligent. Clearly I was wrong.

Most people are stupid. The general public have never been particularly intelligent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Most people are stupid. The general public have never been particularly intelligent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you're better than them? Hows that?
Reply 10
Original post by Reformed2010
Theresa May is an enemy to liberty and the freedoms our grandparents fought for. He gut reaction to any opposition is to ban it. Thatcher and Blair were authoritarian enough, she as Prime Minister would probably make them look like freedom fighters.

Yes, she has a fascist streak that needs to be checked.
Original post by Xin Xang
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/mays-plan-to-censor-tv-programmes-condemned-by-tory-cabinet-colleague

The whole Charlie Hebdo event just seems so ridiculous now.

The censorships that May is planning are FAR more extensive and intrusive than the prevention of drawing a single man. Yet where is the outrage. Where are the millions going out to march against these proposals ?

Original post by Reformed2010

I can't tell you how happy I am to see anger from Labour supporters like you. It make the outcome of the election ever more worthwhile. I hope to see more impacts to your lives.
Reply 12
Original post by The two eds
I can't tell you how happy I am to see anger from Labour supporters like you. It make the outcome of the election ever more worthwhile. I hope to see more impacts to your lives.

Labour supporters care about freedom of speech now? :s-smilie:
Who cares, muslim TV shows... shouldn't even be here in the first place. I'm not against restricting Islamic liberties in the UK.
Original post by n00
And you're better than them? Hows that?

I'm not better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I'm not better.

You're stupid?
Original post by The two eds

It hasn't impacted on my life at all. The difference between Tories and everyone else is that everyone else cares about things happening beyond the end of their own nose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending