The Student Room Group

The Traitors

For all its popularity and mainstream appeal, I find that I really don't think The Traitors is all that good. My main qualm with The Traitors is that besides being irritably generic with terrible music and ear-battering covers, the personalities and presentation are awfully generic and tepid.

On this latest series, there are two military men, both of whom are annoying to listen to. I know military men are masters of taking orders, being shouted at and doing as they're asked, but they seem like caricatures of cliched modern British life more than anything.

The direction is annoying too, all these reaction shots of shock and surprise are wasteful and they aren't truly earned, they're cheap and plentiful.

I get Reality TV is often grotesquely mainstream, but not all of them need to be annoying to be good. I watch The Apprentice because at least the candidates get a good roasting from Lord Sugar, the elimination process in gratifying and the interview stage is very on-the nose.

What do you think of The Traitors and do you like it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDINCINERATOR
For all its popularity and mainstream appeal, I find that I really don't think The Traitors is all that good. My main qualm with The Traitors is that besides being irritably generic with terrible music and ear-battering covers, the personalities and presentation are awfully generic and tepid.

On this latest series, there are two military men, both of whom are annoying to listen to. I know military men are masters of taking orders, being shouted at and doing as they're asked, but they seem like caricatures of cliched modern British life more than anything.

The direction is annoying too, all these reaction shots of shock and surprise are wasteful and they aren't truly earned, they're cheap and plentiful.

I get Reality TV is often grotesquely mainstream, but not all of them need to be annoying to be good. I watch The Apprentice because at least the candidates get a good roasting from Lord Sugar, the elimination process in gratifying and the interview stage is very on-the nose.

i actually quite like The Traitors - its a psychological thriller and i just happen to study psychology :smile:
I didn't think I would like The Traitors, but I ended up binging series 1 last week, and caught up with series 2 this week :yep:
It's quite addictive TV. Looking forward to it being shown on Gogglebox whenever that's on next :rofl:
Reply 4
I like it. Paul was a great traitor and that coffin scene was hilarious. Claudia sure slammed that coffin lid down!
Original post by Cote1
I like it. Paul was a great traitor and that coffin scene was hilarious. Claudia sure slammed that coffin lid down!

yes for suree :smile:
Well at least it's not as awful as Love Island so on a tier-list from A-D it's probably a C.
Reply 7
Do people prefer Love Island or Love Island All Stars?
Original post by Cote1
Do people prefer Love Island or Love Island All Stars?

dont watch either lol :biggrin:
Original post by JDINCINERATOR

Omg I absolutely love it - I'm literally obsessed!
Original post by Cote1

I hated Paul with all my might haha, there was just something about him I didn't like :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
I hated Paul with all my might haha, there was just something about him I didn't like :smile:

He was rather awful but a great traitor.
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
Omg I absolutely love it - I'm literally obsessed!

Well it's not the worst reality TV show, but I don't find the personalities interesting at all-they're all stereotypes to me. Besides, there's nothing really daring about it, it's just a bunch of men and women gathering around a round table to accuse each other of being a traitor. I'll give it props, the shock of the first episode of the first series was fantastic and unexpected, but I think like a lot of reality TV shows it's very generic as it dances around mainstream familiarity a ton-but then again it is a BBC show. Of course these are my hang-ups, I'm glad people enjoy the show for what it provides for them, and it's great you like it too.
Reply 13
Harry was genius!!!
Original post by Scotney
Harry was genius!!!

honestly!!
Reply 15
Original post by Scotney
Harry was genius!!!

He was.
Jaz was excellent too.
Molly, Molly, Molly....
Original post by Cote1
He was.
Jaz was excellent too.
Molly, Molly, Molly....

the way Molly was about to write Harry's name down too - she literally decided her own fate
Reply 17
A hard lesson for Molly to learn in the full glare of social media.

It was obvious from the BBC2 podcast thing last night that she is not over it.

Emotions got in the way. Big mistake on a 4 week game show.
(edited 3 months ago)
I will say the finale was very well done despite being predictable. Molly made such a dreadful mistake and shows she was manipulated by Harry's charms because he's young and attractive. I can't help but call her a silly girl, but ahh well it's Reality TV it's all made up.
What Harry did to Mollie wasn't fair at all - he literally emotionally manipulated her to the point where she trusted him fully and couldn't believe otherwise. A good play from Harry but the way he went about it in the end was just wrong imo

Quick Reply

Latest