The Student Room Group

Any A-levels i should avoid taking or any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ontherazzle
Are you planning to teach primary or secondary?

I would stay with English Language rather than Lit, especially if you are going to teach primary pupils - it's much more relevant as it covers things like language acquisition. Sociology is also a useful subject for teaching (and is neither soft nor worthless!)

Also take a look at this:
https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/breaking-news/teenagers-offered-%C2%A315000-become-maths-and-science-teachers

No guarantee the bursary will still be available when you come to do your training, but it's worth checking out. Fair chunk of your student loan paid off.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping to teach primary school children with special needs as i have 2 brothers with autism and ADHD so they inspired me, thankyou for your advice thanks for the link too. :smile:
Original post by Tootles247
hi everyone, i was just wondering if there's any advice that you can give me on doing A-levels in September and if there are subjects i should take in combination or avoid all together, as i am starting them soon and i want to become a special needs teacher :smile:

just to let you know, i am taking:
English language,
sociology
biology
chemistry
thanks in advance. :smile:

Only you can decide what you want to do. Any good sixth form or FE college should allow you to change your mind over an induction period of a couple of weeks or lessons. You can drop subjects at the end of AS level if you wish. Think ahead to university and later life, where do you want to be? Although its not critical you get your A Levels spot on to your career, it may help in the short term to build a focus and target. You should consider the Exam board (Avoid WJEC) and the type of course (A Levels, BTECs, Cambridge technicals). Also you may want to look at who else is joining those courses in terms of friends who you can work together with. Best of luck.
I'm an A2 student currently doing Maths,English Lit, Chemistry and History and i personally found at the beginning of As a big jump even though i had all A and A* but with good revision techniques i'm predicted As in all my subject. One advice pick a subject that you enjoy and are passionate about because i chose my subjects because i genuinely found them interesting hence why i performed better. With Chemistry and Maths it is a big jump from gcse and working hard from day 1 will result in the grade you want at the end of Alevels

Quick Reply

Latest