The Student Room Group

**OFFICIAL THREAD** OCR A AS Chemistry F322 2nd JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by pineneedles
Free radical substitution of alkanes with a halogen gas
Nucleophilic substitution of a halogenoalkane with hydroxide ions
Electrophillic addition of an alkene with a halogen or hydrogen halide!
There's a page in the textbook with them all together
p176

thanks so much :smile:
can someone explain why it is +679 and how do you get +431.5
Reply 82
Add the values for H-H and Cl-Cl, then add the enthalpy change value and divide it by two cos you have two moles and you only need to know it for one mole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yoda123

Just use maths algebra

Set up an equation

Enthalpy change = bonds broken - bonds made (2HCl)

Solve for HCl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yoda123

ΔH=Σ bonds broken - Σ bonds formed
So 436 + 243 - 2H-Cl = -184
Rearrange to get 2H-Cl=863 so H-Cl is 431.5
Reply 85
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
June 14 definitely. Other hard paper was Jan 2011 i think. And June 12 wasn't hard but had some weird compounds in it (epoxyethane wtf) so required a bit of thinking :smile:

Lol ok, going to save that paper for the weekend then. :smile:
Can someone please explain why on the mark scheme the answer is C4H10O and it says do not allow C4H9OH? Surely they are the same thing? Thanks
Original post by jas29031997
Can someone please explain why on the mark scheme the answer is C4H10O and it says do not allow C4H9OH? Surely they are the same thing? Thanks

I also made the same mistake. I think it's because the question asks for the molecular formula so all the H's needed to be grouped together.

Someone correct me if I am wrong :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I also made the same mistake. I think it's because the question asks for the molecular formula so all the H's needed to be grouped together.

Someone correct me if I am wrong :smile:

Ah ok thank you :smile:
Guys does anyone know why long chained hydrocarbons are not directly used as plastics? Instead of cracking the long chained hydrocarbons from fractional distillation to alkenes and then making them undergo polymerisation and making a long saturated hydrocarbon chain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody got a page of notes with all the reagents and equations ( including state symbols) for the reactions we need to know?
Reply 91
Original post by GetOverHere
Is it true that you don't actually need to learn Hess's cycle, because the enthalpy formulae are enough to work out the various standard enthalpy changes?

You should know it as it is part of the syllabus although it doesn't come up much but who knows, maybe we will get it this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any good notes on Green Chemistry (and the bit on polymers in Alkenes section?)

Thanks
Does anyone know what it usually is for full ums?
Is it true that you don't actually need to learn Hess's cycle, because the enthalpy formulae are enough to work out the various standard enthalpy changes?

It's in the spec to know the Hess' cycle, however they have NEVER asked for it to be used in a calculation or anything, so in theory you should be fine if you don't learn it... But you never know.
Original post by Messier31

Usually around 95%, but will fluctuate depending on the A boundary that year :smile:

Enthalpy formulae? Is that the 'reactants - products' and 'products - reactants' formulas?
Original post by Messier31

OCR Chemistry uses a linear UMS system, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what the A grade boundary is, full UMS is always 100%. You can still get really high UMS WITH 90-95% though, as the grade boundaries are quite low.
Original post by chuckster111
Does anyone have any good notes on Green Chemistry (and the bit on polymers in Alkenes section?)

Thanks

Can't help with polymers, but this guy has a summary of green chemistry which gets straight to the parts you need to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anUFwxitWsE
Reply 99
do we need to know anything about the Haber process? or will they just ask us why certain conditions are what they are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending