The Student Room Group

AQA AS Unit 2 Biology Exam 1 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charlotteharms
Yep I have the same 👍 xx

In each chapter there is a brief section on application and HSW, except variation.

It's the questions in the blue boxes rather than the red boxes in the text book, on page 133 there's a few. Just keep going through the book, and then do some past papers, if I can find anything online I'll send it to you as well :smile:
Original post by LucieTeresa
In each chapter there is a brief section on application and HSW, except variation.

It's the questions in the blue boxes rather than the red boxes in the text book, on page 133 there's a few. Just keep going through the book, and then do some past papers, if I can find anything online I'll send it to you as well :smile:

You're a star thank you so much xx
Reply 22
I'm exactly the same, I used to be much better on unit 2 though and now I feel like it's going to be unit 2 that pulls me down because I'm not getting much higher than a C... it's the whole plant thing that's my issue I think

What don't you get about the plant things?
hii, can anyone help me on standard deviation overlap? how do you know say if it was 6+-9 if the results overlap? i get it if the lines meet they overlap on a graph but i dont know how you would work that out on a bar chart or using results like 32+-9?!
Reply 24
Do you think we need to know about Okazaki fragments? It's in a lot of the revision videos I've watched but not in the textbook
Original post by Abzz789
Do you think we need to know about Okazaki fragments? It's in a lot of the revision videos I've watched but not in the textbook

I have never even heard of them... my teacher hasn't gone over it with us, I don't think it's on the spec, I'll check
Reply 26
Original post by skittles100
hii, can anyone help me on standard deviation overlap? how do you know say if it was 6+-9 if the results overlap? i get it if the lines meet they overlap on a graph but i dont know how you would work that out on a bar chart or using results like 32+-9?!

Add or subtract the value for each group and compare to see if there's any overlap whatsoever.

E.g. lets say Group A has S.D 10±2, B has 9±1 and C has 20±7. What this mean is that group A can take a range of values from 8 to 12, group B can take a range from 8 to 10, and C from 13 to 27. Group A and B has overlap, as they both take the values from 8 to 10, which means theres no signifcant difference between the two groups.

I hope this makes sense :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Abzz789

No, never heard of it and it isn't in the specs.
Original post by Whizbox
Unit two is known for having ridiculously low boundaries for full UMS, does anyone know why? I usually get full UMS in the past papers and I'm not even that good at Biology

More content and more application and to some harder to understand. Unit 1 boundaries are low themselves usually (~70% last year) so it makes sense unit 2 goes down to roughly 65%

Posted from TSR Mobile
predictions for the 6 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
What exactly do we need to know about cell differentiation and organisation? Do we have to know examples of organ systems and stuff like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
What exactly do we have to know about meiosis? Do we have to know about P1 M1 A1 T1 P2 M2 A1 T1 individually?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisss
predictions for the 6 mark question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully something on DNA as that seems to be my only strong point D: I've forgotten most of unit 2, especially tissue fluid, gas exchange and haemoglobin and oxygen dissociation curves
Hopefully something on DNA as that seems to be my only strong point D: I've forgotten most of unit 2, especially tissue fluid, gas exchange and haemoglobin and oxygen dissociation curves

Yeah I hope so to but I'd be surprised as the 6 marker last year was on DNA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Louisss
Yeah I hope so to but I'd be surprised as the 6 marker last year was on DNA

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :frown: just thinking about how close this exam is is scaring me
Figured out that the UMS for a D in my ISA will be between 30 and 36, and I don't think I got lower than a low B in unit 1, which would be between 70 and 79 UMS, so basically I need to get nearly full UMS on unit 2 to get an A overall... goodbye A :frown:
Reply 36
Hi does anyone know what is necessary to know about the meselson and stahl experiment?
Is this knowledge enough
- experiment supports semi-conservative model
- e.coli bacteria grown in 15N medium so all dna produced was heavier when put in density/gradient centrifuge
- then this heavier dna was put into 14N medium and as dna replication occurred (semi conservative) it formed medium weight dna due to half a the dna being conserved from parent and half being newly formed

Is that all id need to know?
Original post by Flask
Hi does anyone know what is necessary to know about the meselson and stahl experiment?
Is this knowledge enough
- experiment supports semi-conservative model
- e.coli bacteria grown in 15N medium so all dna produced was heavier when put in density/gradient centrifuge
- then this heavier dna was put into 14N medium and as dna replication occurred (semi conservative) it formed medium weight dna due to half a the dna being conserved from parent and half being newly formed

Is that all id need to know?

Hey yes you don't need to learn that off by heart - but it's good if you did because they sometimes ask about DNA experiments. That example is in my revision book so I can have an example of them it says
Reply 38
can someone please explain the immunological comparisons? thank you in advance! :smile:
Original post by newt1
can someone please explain the immunological comparisons? thank you in advance! :smile:

Ok so you use antibodies to determine how similar two proteins are
Antibodies will bind to proteins that are specific shape - so similar proteins will be bound to the same antibodies

So for example - if human proteins are added to a sample of another species
Any protein similar to the human protein will be bound to by the antibody
So antibody binds to human protein and the similar protein because they have a similar shape if u understand

Also sometimes when proteins and antibodies bind - a precipitate (solid substance) is formed
More antibodies the protein binds to - more precipitate formed
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending