The Student Room Group

AQA DT: Product design (3D) - PROD 3 A2 exam, June 8th -- Revision thread --

Scroll to see replies

Original post by janderone
You can get a condensed specification from the Aqa website to use as a checklist but it's still slightly vague :/ and how are people actually revising for this? Notes or past papers or....I'm really struggling for how it should be done

I have been doing a combination of past paper questions and mind maps to condense the information into smaller sections for the different topics. Hope that helps :-)
Reply 21
So basically in the AQA textbook we should revise chapters 4,5,6, thoroughly and a few past papers is that it? because im doing the exam and have no idea what topics we have to look at.
Original post by Sosa
So basically in the AQA textbook we should revise chapters 4,5,6, thoroughly and a few past papers is that it? because im doing the exam and have no idea what topics we have to look at.

yes thats it, i've been doing that for the AS exam too and it worked really well :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Hatsune Miku
yes thats it, i've been doing that for the AS exam too and it worked really well :biggrin:
im working through it now 4 days to cram 3 chapters and a little more any idea what might come up? and i struggle with those questions that are like "explain how this product may be produced as a one off product a batch and continuously" do you know what you could do for them?
Original post by Sosa
im working through it now 4 days to cram 3 chapters and a little more any idea what might come up? and i struggle with those questions that are like "explain how this product may be produced as a one off product a batch and continuously" do you know what you could do for them?

I have done that question about scales of production and I found that it was good to write about furniture.
Original post by Sosa

I think with those kind of questions you need to give examples of products that are made in those 3 production processes, most bespoke products are one-off like for example if you want a new gate for your home, it's unlikely that you can shop for one that has the exact same dimensions as you require so it needs to be tailored for you and that's one-off so you talk about how that gate is made and the same for a batch produced product like kitchenware, chairs etc. and continuous produced products like plastic bottles and cans
Reply 26
but then how do you differentiate your answer for each one, sorry if im asking for a lot. or tell me where i could find it please cheers
Original post by emmasutcliffexx
I have done that question about scales of production and I found that it was good to write about furniture.
Reply 27
thanks ill look into it further i get what you mean, what types of techniques would be made though e.g. injection moulding and you know those questions that ask you to compare how a product is made with another e.g. plastic and metal do you just give a technique e.g. press forming with a diagram and explain why it is ideal for that product to be made with that method etc? because im baffled as to how you are going to get anywhere near 28 marks for that? i need roughly 16 marks per question it sounds easy but the way they mark this paper is mad
Original post by Hatsune Miku
I think with those kind of questions you need to give examples of products that are made in those 3 production processes, most bespoke products are one-off like for example if you want a new gate for your home, it's unlikely that you can shop for one that has the exact same dimensions as you require so it needs to be tailored for you and that's one-off so you talk about how that gate is made and the same for a batch produced product like kitchenware, chairs etc. and continuous produced products like plastic bottles and cans
Original post by Sosa
thanks ill look into it further i get what you mean, what types of techniques would be made though e.g. injection moulding and you know those questions that ask you to compare how a product is made with another e.g. plastic and metal do you just give a technique e.g. press forming with a diagram and explain why it is ideal for that product to be made with that method etc? because im baffled as to how you are going to get anywhere near 28 marks for that? i need roughly 16 marks per question it sounds easy but the way they mark this paper is mad

yes 28 marks is ridiculous for a single question but if you structure what you're going to write and plan it in advance it's not so bad. I think i know the question you're talking about, in our mock in January we did a past paper and a question similar to that where they asked about the manufacturing processes of two buckets a plastic one probably polypropylene or something and a metal one (I said it was galvanised steel) so for that question what you're going to write for each bucket is 14 marks, together they make 28 and never forget that you'll get a mark for you point and another for you explanation of your point. Hope this helps :smile:
WHERE DO I START ? :angry:

FFS, Too much :s-smilie:
Hi - I am so not ready for this exam - my teacher is rubbish and has not taught us anything, he expects us to teach ourselves from the text book. I find this really hard because I need alot of help and like to be spoon-fed! Also the book is so wordy and it is really hard to find the important details, the specification is also really brief so its hard to know what to learn.

I am predicted an A but this is down to my coursework. I doubt I will get one because the theory is so hard.... I also need an A for uni and this is my only prediction of one.

So what I am trying to say is does any one have any fabby tips for last minute cramming and any ideas as to what may be on the paper as I have no idea!!

ahhh:eek: Thanks x
Reply 31
Original post by stressed123
Hi - I am so not ready for this exam - my teacher is rubbish and has not taught us anything, he expects us to teach ourselves from the text book. I find this really hard because I need alot of help and like to be spoon-fed! Also the book is so wordy and it is really hard to find the important details, the specification is also really brief so its hard to know what to learn.

I am predicted an A but this is down to my coursework. I doubt I will get one because the theory is so hard.... I also need an A for uni and this is my only prediction of one.

So what I am trying to say is does any one have any fabby tips for last minute cramming and any ideas as to what may be on the paper as I have no idea!!

ahhh:eek: Thanks x

You're not the only one tbh it seems like its a recurring theme of useless teachers luckily the grade boundaries will be low. What im starting to do is look at the specification and create broad headings in which i can elaborate any answer on for example "Product development and improvement may also be linked to developments in technology (material and manufacturing) and this gives me more to write about if you get what i mean im just praying that the questions are nice.
Reply 32
Are you guys learning manufacturing processes? If so, which ones?
Reply 33
The way they mark this exam is odd. Just for naming technical terms you get points, more so than actually applying your knowledge to a given product or process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Josh_MG
The way they mark this exam is odd. Just for naming technical terms you get points, more so than actually applying your knowledge to a given product or process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
Reply 35
Does anybody have a structure for example (D.E.A.D) Define Explain Analyse Decide? because with these types of exam structure is key in getting max marks possible so if anyone has a structure they will follow please share
Reply 36
Original post by Sosa
Does anybody have a structure for example (D.E.A.D) Define Explain Analyse Decide? because with these types of exam structure is key in getting max marks possible so if anyone has a structure they will follow please share

My teacher tells us to use PEE (point, evidence, explain). Obviously you define key words in a mini introduction and write a conclusion at the end but PEE for the middle bit. Seems to work well for us
Reply 37
Original post by lx477
My teacher tells us to use PEE (point, evidence, explain). Obviously you define key words in a mini introduction and write a conclusion at the end but PEE for the middle bit. Seems to work well for us

Do we need to give definitions of key terms when we reference them in our questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Josh_MG
Do we need to give definitions of key terms when we reference them in our questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not essential but I think it helps you to get in the top tier for marks which states:
'Candidate has expressed complex ideas extremely clearly and fluently.
Sentences and paragraphs follow on from one another smoothly and logically.
Arguments are relevant and well structured. There are few, if any, errors of grammar, punctuation and spelling'.
Reply 39
what about sketches are they essential because sometimes i feel lik when i look at a paper its hard to get a sketch relevant to the question if you get what i mean
Original post by lx477
It's not essential but I think it helps you to get in the top tier for marks which states:
'Candidate has expressed complex ideas extremely clearly and fluently.
Sentences and paragraphs follow on from one another smoothly and logically.
Arguments are relevant and well structured. There are few, if any, errors of grammar, punctuation and spelling'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending