The Student Room Group

AQA DT: Product design (3D) - PROD 3 A2 exam, June 8th -- Revision thread --

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_Holmes
Yeah it is, it's because this thread is from last year aswell (their exam was on the 8th)
A month today guys......:s-smilie:

Stop i hate this exam😩 Last years exam was horrific and I'm scared we will get something like that too😭
Yeah it is, it's because this thread is from last year aswell (their exam was on the 8th)
A month today guys......:s-smilie:

I am screwed :smile:
anyone got any ideas how to answer the long mark questions? the mark schemes are so unclear
Original post by TheWalkingFluff
Hey, I'm a first year Product design student at Uni of Lincoln. I managed to get in this year with lower than the entry requirements after getting lower than I thought on the exam, don't panic :smile:

How many ucas point lower? 20? 40?, i'm applying to lincoln this year for product design
Original post by jwindle97
How many ucas point lower? 20? 40?, i'm applying to lincoln this year for product design

Same, what did you get in AS? I am really nervous about getting in....
Same, what did you get in AS? I am really nervous about getting in....

Got a B at AS, A in coursework, C in exam
Original post by jwindle97
Got a B at AS, A in coursework, C in exam

Yeah same as me, do you know what you're expected in your coursework this year?
I got a A and C last year and I have an A* in this years coursework, I just always mess up in the exam :frown:
Yeah same as me, do you know what you're expected in your coursework this year?
I got a A and C last year and I have an A* in this years coursework, I just always mess up in the exam :frown:

This years exam is essay, so it might be better for you! If you need any help if be happy to give you resources (not that mine are good anyway, DT teachers never teach the whole course properly)😂
Original post by yamyam77
This years exam is essay, so it might be better for you! If you need any help if be happy to give you resources (not that mine are good anyway, DT teachers never teach the whole course properly)😂

That would be amazing!! I have like nothing, only a text book... which I am finding really hard to learn! We don't have separate teachers for coursework and exam so we haven't actually properly started learning the content yet since we have been doing coursework since september
That would be amazing!! I have like nothing, only a text book... which I am finding really hard to learn! We don't have separate teachers for coursework and exam so we haven't actually properly started learning the content yet since we have been doing coursework since september

Name the topics you want help with and I'll try my best to find anything that could help!!

Basically I've got a linear structure which is as follows:

Design movements: machine age and product age, arts and crafts movement, Bauhaus and Art Deco
Design movements with specific products: i.e. 1930's streamlining 'Bakelite streamline moderne radio', 1940's utility 'Errol kitchen chair ETC
Roles in the design process: i.e. The client, designer, inventor, designer-maker, makers, user ETC
Marketing function: relationships, consumer profiles, marketing mix AND THE 9P's (product, place, price, promotion, physical evidence, pleasure, properties, people)
Design methods: how designing starts, and why people design i.e. Constructive discontent, to make money, exploration of science and tech and to help others
Design process: identification of the problem, the brief, the spec, analysis and research, market research, user research, HOW IDEAS ARE FORMED (i.e. Chance - cats eye, Act of insight - Archimedes - displacement to determine volume and density ETC), development and manufacture then testing and evaluation
PATENTS: why use a patent, why isn't eligible?
Communication and representation of design ideas: mood boards, sketching, rendering, orthographic, modeling, mock ups, pro typing, presentation and boards
Sustainability and environmental design: the legislation i.e. Ecolabel 1993, Packaging directive 1994, amended in 2004, Energy labeling directive 1996 ETC
GREEN DESIGN, ECO-DESIGN and SUSTAINABLE DESIGN i.e. For green design the Dyson contra-rotating washing machine - water jets reduce water and alternate tubs reduce washing time therefore saving energy
Newly introduced and future ideas: ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF A CAR.....green cars, hybrid cars, hydrogen fuel cell, PEMFC, electric cars, catalytic converters, bio-diesel
Safety: risk assessments(wheel), safety legislation and manufacturing i.e. COSSHH, employers safety i.e. Training and PPE, safety legislation and the user IE PROTECTION LAWS LIKE TSA(training standards agency), electrical equipment regulations act 1994 ETC
BSI KITE MARK AND CE
Human needs + human factors: ergonomics and anthropometrics, disabled design(adapted products IE kettle and adaptation IE disabled toilets)
Major developments in technology: the radio 1930-2000
Technological developments: battery and tv
Impact of ICT: mechanics to electronics and miniaturization, digitalization and software
Intelligent systems and interlinked products: ICT and Internet, RFID, fluidic self assembly, nanotechnology
Nanotech products: vehicles IE Toyota, clothes IE stain resistance, electrical consumer goods IE Kodak, medical IE bones
Tech push and market pull + coupling model
Product lifecycle
Planned obsolescence and influence of fashion
Scales of production: IE one off batch and continuous
Using jigs
Modern manufacturing industry: IE JIT, MPS, EPOS, KANBANS, POKE TOKE, FMS

Hope this kind of helps as a starting basis 😬
Original post by yamyam77
Name the topics you want help with and I'll try my best to find anything that could help!!

Basically I've got a linear structure which is as follows:

Design movements: machine age and product age, arts and crafts movement, Bauhaus and Art Deco
Design movements with specific products: i.e. 1930's streamlining 'Bakelite streamline moderne radio', 1940's utility 'Errol kitchen chair ETC
Roles in the design process: i.e. The client, designer, inventor, designer-maker, makers, user ETC
Marketing function: relationships, consumer profiles, marketing mix AND THE 9P's (product, place, price, promotion, physical evidence, pleasure, properties, people)
Design methods: how designing starts, and why people design i.e. Constructive discontent, to make money, exploration of science and tech and to help others
Design process: identification of the problem, the brief, the spec, analysis and research, market research, user research, HOW IDEAS ARE FORMED (i.e. Chance - cats eye, Act of insight - Archimedes - displacement to determine volume and density ETC), development and manufacture then testing and evaluation
PATENTS: why use a patent, why isn't eligible?
Communication and representation of design ideas: mood boards, sketching, rendering, orthographic, modeling, mock ups, pro typing, presentation and boards
Sustainability and environmental design: the legislation i.e. Ecolabel 1993, Packaging directive 1994, amended in 2004, Energy labeling directive 1996 ETC
GREEN DESIGN, ECO-DESIGN and SUSTAINABLE DESIGN i.e. For green design the Dyson contra-rotating washing machine - water jets reduce water and alternate tubs reduce washing time therefore saving energy
Newly introduced and future ideas: ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF A CAR.....green cars, hybrid cars, hydrogen fuel cell, PEMFC, electric cars, catalytic converters, bio-diesel
Safety: risk assessments(wheel), safety legislation and manufacturing i.e. COSSHH, employers safety i.e. Training and PPE, safety legislation and the user IE PROTECTION LAWS LIKE TSA(training standards agency), electrical equipment regulations act 1994 ETC
BSI KITE MARK AND CE
Human needs + human factors: ergonomics and anthropometrics, disabled design(adapted products IE kettle and adaptation IE disabled toilets)
Major developments in technology: the radio 1930-2000
Technological developments: battery and tv
Impact of ICT: mechanics to electronics and miniaturization, digitalization and software
Intelligent systems and interlinked products: ICT and Internet, RFID, fluidic self assembly, nanotechnology
Nanotech products: vehicles IE Toyota, clothes IE stain resistance, electrical consumer goods IE Kodak, medical IE bones
Tech push and market pull + coupling model
Product lifecycle
Planned obsolescence and influence of fashion
Scales of production: IE one off batch and continuous
Using jigs
Modern manufacturing industry: IE JIT, MPS, EPOS, KANBANS, POKE TOKE, FMS

Hope this kind of helps as a starting basis 😬

This is amazing! Thank you so much!!!!
This is amazing! Thank you so much!!!!

Haha you're welcome! Anything to help follow struggling Product design students!
Reply 612
Anyone doing AS on this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T17MA
Anyone doing AS on this thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am resitting the AS exam, so am doing the A2 and AS this year. No clue where to start with either :s-smilie:
Reply 614
I know it's irrelevant with the content on this thread however it's something that will affect our year group. Tuition fees being increased.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/130519

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone want to PM me their numbers and we can start a what's app chat to share notes?
I'm retaking unit 1 and sitting the A2 exam
Yeah sure thing
Original post by lozzieladybird
anyone want to PM me their numbers and we can start a what's app chat to share notes?
I'm retaking unit 1 and sitting the A2 exam

Yeah see PM
Reply 618
Hey guys I'm retaking AS and doing A2.
found this online, although it's mainly for AS, it helps for overall revision:
https://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/aqa_gce_prod1_3d_design_product_design/Product%20Design%20Revision.pdf
This should help for A2:
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/aqa_product_design_prod3
Hope this helps someone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by A-SAP
Hey guys I'm retaking both AS and A2
found this online, although it's mainly for AS, it helps for overall revision:
https://getrevising.co.uk/files/documents/aqa_gce_prod1_3d_design_product_design/Product%20Design%20Revision.pdf
This should help for A2:
https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-cards/aqa_product_design_prod3
Hope this helps someone.

Wow this is amazing, if only I found this sooner. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending