The Student Room Group

After how many lessons should you be moving off from home?

Just wondering because I've had about 15 and haven't done so, just learnt to move off, stop, left turns, right turns, 3 point turns and some reversing
I feel like I'm just repeating the same thing over and over and have only been in 2 gears. Is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princesskimana
Just wondering because I've had about 15 and haven't done so, just learnt to move off, stop, left turns, right turns, 3 point turns and some reversingI feel like I'm just repeating the same thing over and over and have only been in 2 gears. Is this normal?

LOOOOOOOOOL are you for real? First 2 gears oh my. If your not understanding what to do then maybe that's why your doing the same **** again as you are still making mistakes. But if you are genuinely fine then your instructor is a nut. You're wasting your money 15 lessons blimey.

i was driving on the main road after a couple of lessons i think. First few lessons were mandatory road safety mirrors gears stop start etc. Passed shortly after my 20th lesson as you need to have a set number of hours with an instructor before you can actually do the test if i remember correctly.
Think I was on the main road after 3 lessons.
Your driving instructor is either talking you for a ride or you really, really can't drive.
Original post by ThatGuyRik
LOOOOOOOOOL are you for real? First 2 gears oh my. If your not understanding what to do then maybe that's why your doing the same **** again as you are still making mistakes. But if you are genuinely fine then your instructor is a nut. You're wasting your money 15 lessons blimey.

i was driving on the main road after a couple of lessons i think. First few lessons were mandatory road safety mirrors gears stop start etc. Passed shortly after my 20th lesson as you need to have a set number of hours with an instructor before you can actually do the test if i remember correctly.

Yeah no I am understanding what to do.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Think I was on the main road after 3 lessons.
Your driving instructor is either talking you for a ride or you really, really can't drive.

You can't just say I really really can't drive. Clearly I understand what i'm doing otherwise I would not have posted this thread asking if it's normal. I've heard that different instructors work differently, I just wondered if at this point I should be doing more.
I was driving the whole time from my second lesson onwards, but that's because I picked it up quickly, everyone's different.

No set number of hours, I put in after 13.

I failed that one.
Original post by princesskimana
Just wondering because I've had about 15 and haven't done so, just learnt to move off, stop, left turns, right turns, 3 point turns and some reversing
I feel like I'm just repeating the same thing over and over and have only been in 2 gears. Is this normal?

I've had 15 lessons and already booked my test, if I was you I'd change my instructor to see if your a slow learner or they're just taking you for a joke. I was on 40mph roads on my first lesson

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Second lesson for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol ive had like 40 lessons about to sit my test for the first time soon but I still don't move of from home cause there is nowhere to park. My instructor pulls up, I quickly get in and then he parks on a neighbouring road for us to switch places.
Third lesson.
I started driving off from home after about 10 lessons. I stay in the town centre so had to get used to driving through town and roundabouts first.

I drove around the quiet local suburbs from my second or third lesson though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
With a good instructor, first lesson.
Original post by A5ko
With a good instructor, first lesson.

Im learning with a big company AA/BSM/Bill Plant I wont disclose which one but I am starting to think that it may be true that independent schools are better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, it could be that your instructor wants to get the manoeuvres (reversing etc.) out of the way before you go out on the road so that you can fully concentrate on your driving whilst out on the road, but 15 lessons does seem excessive....

I was out on the road on my second lesson and although it was kinda scary I'm glad my instructor pushed me because it got my driving confidence up massively.

Have a word with your instructor and just mention that you want to do other things instead of repeating the same manoeuvres every lesson :smile:
Either you cant drive at all or your instructor is a schmuck
Original post by Zürich
Either you cant drive at all or your instructor is a schmuck

Lol I can drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leanney
Hmm, it could be that your instructor wants to get the manoeuvres (reversing etc.) out of the way before you go out on the road so that you can fully concentrate on your driving whilst out on the road, but 15 lessons does seem excessive....

I was out on the road on my second lesson and although it was kinda scary I'm glad my instructor pushed me because it got my driving confidence up massively.

Have a word with your instructor and just mention that you want to do other things instead of repeating the same manoeuvres every lesson :smile:

Thanks for your productive response I've taken all that into consideration. May change instructor dunno :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
you need to have a set number of hours with an instructor before you can actually do the test if i remember correctly.

Nah, you could take your test having never driven before if you wanted to. You're almost guaranteed to fail, but you could :P
I think I actually went out on the road my second lesson.

I had 16 lessons all together.

No it's not normal, to learn to drive you actually have to drive somewhere.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending