The Student Room Group

how would i improve my science GCSE grades?

i’m on 6 in all 3 sciences (i take triple btw)

is it possible for me to improve to at least all 7s in all of them by the real exams in like 6 weeks? and if it is then how would i do it? thanks 😊💘
Reply 1
Absolutely you can! I will always say there are 2 main things you need: exam practice, and lots of it; and active recall techniques. Anything from blurting to attempting to teach others to quiz websites. You can absolutely do it if you start now! Best of luck!!!!!
Original post by gyatrizzler69
is it possible for me to improve to at least all 7s in all of them by the real exams in like 6 weeks? and if it is then how would i do it? thanks 😊💘

the method i swear by that got me a grade 9 in bio and physics and one mark off a nine in chem was i would buy the REVISION guide version of the KERBOODLE textbook not the waffley cgp book. i would go through the book from the start and i'd have a pile of scrap paper with me. basically what i would do is id make the most concise notes i possible could but including all the key info on each page, i'd do it very scruffily because i wouldn't use these notes to revise from again, it's mainly the actual writing process that benefits you. the aim was to get an entire topic on one page, ignore the lines on lined paper trust me it works so much better when you pay less focus on the neatness of it and more on fitting it all on the page. i would do like the whole of B1 on one page but its okay if it went onto another its no biggie. for gcse my revison was 85% understanding the content and rewriting notes or model answers in bulet points. it honestly depends on the person about how many practice qs you do, for most people it is very important to do loads but for me after i used this method i barely did any, i would skim through a few past papers in 1 hr the day before the exam roughly. obviously don't do this if it genuinely doesn't work for you because every person has a different revision language but definitely do try it - a girl who i mentor at school in geography did this method and went from a grade 3/4 to a grade 7/8 in like 2 months. hope this helps :smile:
Original post by user1234512345
the method i swear by that got me a grade 9 in bio and physics and one mark off a nine in chem was i would buy the REVISION guide version of the KERBOODLE textbook not the waffley cgp book. i would go through the book from the start and i'd have a pile of scrap paper with me. basically what i would do is id make the most concise notes i possible could but including all the key info on each page, i'd do it very scruffily because i wouldn't use these notes to revise from again, it's mainly the actual writing process that benefits you. the aim was to get an entire topic on one page, ignore the lines on lined paper trust me it works so much better when you pay less focus on the neatness of it and more on fitting it all on the page. i would do like the whole of B1 on one page but its okay if it went onto another its no biggie. for gcse my revison was 85% understanding the content and rewriting notes or model answers in bulet points. it honestly depends on the person about how many practice qs you do, for most people it is very important to do loads but for me after i used this method i barely did any, i would skim through a few past papers in 1 hr the day before the exam roughly. obviously don't do this if it genuinely doesn't work for you because every person has a different revision language but definitely do try it - a girl who i mentor at school in geography did this method and went from a grade 3/4 to a grade 7/8 in like 2 months. hope this helps :smile:

Bruh are you for real, I just wasted my money on “waffley cgp book” nah man…
Original post by Smartmohmaedx
Bruh are you for real, I just wasted my money on “waffley cgp book” nah man…

omg 😭😭 Don't worry you can still utilize the book, personally cgp didn't work for me but if you've bought it alr, put 100% effort into using it now for your revision so that you can quickly figure out if it's right for you - a lot of high achieving students I know only used cgp so there's still a big chance you'll be fine - are you in halfway through gcse in year 10 or finishing up in 11?
omg 😭😭 Don't worry you can still utilize the book, personally cgp didn't work for me but if you've bought it alr, put 100% effort into using it now for your revision so that you can quickly figure out if it's right for you - a lot of high achieving students I know only used cgp so there's still a big chance you'll be fine - are you in halfway through gcse in year 10 or finishing up in 11?

I’m year 9 student right now,well my future are f*cked like I got the worst grades of all time, most of them are 3s/4s and I was top student last year until I move to school when I realise it is very under-performing school where the teacher sucks at teaching and barely gives info for revision and when the test comes like saying “soon” many times.
I have the worst mental health problems because I just now know that I’m not getting my career I wanted which is being a doctor.
So yeah I’m planning to move another school when my year 9 journey is finished..
Yeps, I’m so freaking unlucky like I used to have a lots of attention with my grades such as grade 9s/8s, man I think I’m done…
if you're only in y9 rn and you're planning on moving schools don't give up now, most people i know including myself got less than 50% in all the y9 tests, y10-11 is when it gets real esp since everyone around you normally starts taking it more seriously too. also, gcse barely count towards uni applications, most unis just want like a 7 in maths and english lang and sciences so you've defo got time to get there. trust me y9 is not reflective of your end of y11 grades AT ALL. as long as you put the effort in at home, use free science lessons yt channel vids, you can basically teach yourself the whole course at home regardless of how good your teachers are. even people half way through y11 with bad teachers gettign 4/5s jump to 7-9s by the end of the year if they revise right
if you're only in y9 rn and you're planning on moving schools don't give up now, most people i know including myself got less than 50% in all the y9 tests, y10-11 is when it gets real esp since everyone around you normally starts taking it more seriously too. also, gcse barely count towards uni applications, most unis just want like a 7 in maths and english lang and sciences so you've defo got time to get there. trust me y9 is not reflective of your end of y11 grades AT ALL. as long as you put the effort in at home, use free science lessons yt channel vids, you can basically teach yourself the whole course at home regardless of how good your teachers are. even people half way through y11 with bad teachers gettign 4/5s jump to 7-9s by the end of the year if they revise right

Idk man my teacher said that I won’t do higher paper in year 10 meaning I won’t get any higher grade than 5 which absolutely bull sh and I’m doing foundation in science but for the maths I’m alright my grade is around 7 and should a
be above but that literally the only subject that i accept my grade.
So I’m so finished because I’ll never will get any grade higher than a 5 and the teacher said that I’m doing combined science which ngl made my mental health broke fr…
So the chance of me becoming of a doctor is so impossible if I’m doing combined science foundation and in low sets with a grade no higher than 5 for year 10 and maybe similar to year 11…….. which make me thinking about that I’m so useless and I wish i never move to my current school and stays in my old school so yeah I’m absolutely so cooked…. Like please help man… I have no options for my hope to keep up and yeah imma sleep i guess, peace!
Original post by gyatrizzler69

Take a printout/soft copy of the specification and highlight everything you think you understand fully, then look at the parts you don't particularly understand and watch videos on them, just to make sure you actually understood, do topic questions (available on physics and maths tutor) Make sure to always refer to marking schemes, specially in chemistry cause there are certain definitions that do not have alternative...Go through past papers as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask your teachers regarding any doubts
Make short notes on Biology
keep a written formula sheet for physics that includes units, symbols etc

Trust me it helps, as someone who went from grade 5 to 9
All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest