The Student Room Group

So my ex is emailing me after a year (song lyrics - what do they mean)

We had a very passionate up and down relationship and he broke up with right before my finals last year during an argument and we didn't speak for nearly a year. He didn't want to speak to me after the breakup so I left him alone.

Heard he was depressed for ages (apparently he got drunk at Christmas cried that he couldn't get over me). He emailed me for my birthday in Feb and then we emailed a bit, he kept telling me how he admired how I was so independent (I ignored him after he dumped me). Anyway, his emails to me are like he really admired qualities in me etc etc that's about it. He's been single for a year as have I. And then yesterday he sends me this song.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/better-man-lyrics-paolo-nutini.html

What does this mean?
it signifies she likes you
Sounds like a case of not realising what he had till he lost it. He still has feelings for you, recognises your good qualities, and wants to be a better person and treat you well. So he wants you back, by the sound of it.

How do you feel about him?
Reply 3
Oh and I am not over him at all. I think about him everyday. We had a great first year together, it got rough in our second year together because of work and university stress, but I know that I was crazy about him until the end and I pretty sure he was too (sometimes you just know) so you know even though we've broken up and haven't seen each other in a year, I feel so connected to him- it's so weird.
Original post by Anonymous
Oh and I am not over him at all. I think about him everyday. We had a great first year together, it got rough in our second year together because of work and university stress, but I know that I was crazy about him until the end and I pretty sure he was too (sometimes you just know) so you know even though we've broken up and haven't seen each other in a year, I feel so connected to him- it's so weird.

Well, I'm a big believer in putting all your cards on the table - always better to know where you stand with someone so you can move forward, rather than sit around wondering and what if-ing.

How easy is it for you two meet up? Do you live close to each other? Or do you think you'd prefer to send him a message?
Reply 5
Original post by Musie Suzie
Well, I'm a big believer in putting all your cards on the table - always better to know where you stand with someone so you can move forward, rather than sit around wondering and what if-ing.

How easy is it for you two meet up? Do you live close to each other? Or do you think you'd prefer to send him a message?

So we live an hour away, and we could meet. But in our email exchange, he never suggested we meet up even once. He told me about his job, but nothing about us meeting. At one point he ended his email with a line from my favourite book (about how it was impossible for find the girl of his dreams because she had gone away) and said 'I wish you all the best until you start your master's. I'm sure you will be very successful, you're just that sort of girl'.

I am so confused: he dumped me, not the other way around, but from this emails, he's making it sound like im 'the one that got away'. I never wanted to break up, I loved him then and in a weird way still do. I don't want to date because Im still so invested in him (emotionally)
So we live an hour away, and we could meet. But in our email exchange, he never suggested we meet up even once. He told me about his job, but nothing about us meeting. At one point he ended his email with a line from my favourite book (about how it was impossible for find the girl of his dreams because she had gone away) and said 'I wish you all the best until you start your master's. I'm sure you will be very successful, you're just that sort of girl'.

I am so confused: he dumped me, not the other way around, but from this emails, he's making it sound like im 'the one that got away'. I never wanted to break up, I loved him then and in a weird way still do. I don't want to date because Im still so invested in him (emotionally)

It could be that after having dumped you, he's now unsure how to say that he wants to see you, or wants you back, or still has feelings or whatever, so is dropping hints in the hope that you'll pick them up and suggest something so he doesn't have to. Maybe he's struggling to admit he made a mistake, as a pride thing. But it sounds like he knows.

But as I said, I think you're better off putting everything out there rather than speculating with me! :smile:
We had a very passionate up and down relationship and he broke up with right before my finals last year during an argument and we didn't speak for nearly a year. He didn't want to speak to me after the breakup so I left him alone.

Heard he was depressed for ages (apparently he got drunk at Christmas cried that he couldn't get over me). He emailed me for my birthday in Feb and then we emailed a bit, he kept telling me how he admired how I was so independent (I ignored him after he dumped me). Anyway, his emails to me are like he really admired qualities in me etc etc that's about it. He's been single for a year as have I. And then yesterday he sends me this song.

What does this mean?

Not even joking with you, I almost went through the exact same thing a couple of years ago where my ex would stop talking to me and go back and forwards with other girls.. 3 months later he begged to get me back.. we argued.. didnt speak for a year.. got back for 6 months.. stopped talking for 1.5 years and counting. DO NOT GET BACK WITH HIM!! it is not worth the pain

What does this mean?

If it goes past 3 months on a split leave it in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Not even joking with you, I almost went through the exact same thing a couple of years ago where my ex would stop talking to me and go back and forwards with other girls.. 3 months later he begged to get me back.. we argued.. didnt speak for a year.. got back for 6 months.. stopped talking for 1.5 years and counting. DO NOT GET BACK WITH HIM!! it is not worth the pain

Thank you, he's exactly like this and I think he's doing it for the attention, not because he actually wants me
Original post by Musie Suzie
It could be that after having dumped you, he's now unsure how to say that he wants to see you, or wants you back, or still has feelings or whatever, so is dropping hints in the hope that you'll pick them up and suggest something so he doesn't have to. Maybe he's struggling to admit he made a mistake, as a pride thing. But it sounds like he knows.

But as I said, I think you're better off putting everything out there rather than speculating with me! :smile:

You're right :smile: but I am nervous because I don't want him to hurt me again. It took me so long to get over him and I think I am still struggling at times. He did mention he thought he'd never speak to me again because of 'his pride', but I don't if it's worth going through all that with him again.

What does this mean?

It means he is being hacked by his friends
Original post by TechnoHead
It means he is being hacked by his friends

nah, I know he's not :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending