The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kawehi
Yeah, weird little anecdote about that question.. I was doing the June 10 F212 past paper this afternoon, and I decided to skip over all of the long questions, because of course OCR wouldn't REPEAT a 7 marker.. And guess what was repeated? The antibody question! Word for word, same marks and everything!!!! I actually started laughing when I saw the question :biggrin: Sucks that I didn't have the mark scheme answer fresh in my mind, but oh well, it was easy anyway!

Silly OCR :facepalm:
Constant region, variable region, hinge region right? :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Anti-Dirac
Silly OCR :facepalm:
Constant region, variable region, hinge region right? :u:

Yeeeep! Overall I think it was one of the nicest papers ever! :tongue:
Ugh except for the silly biodiversity, but it's my fault for not memorizing it :/
Have you got F322 tomorrow?
Original post by kawehi
Ugh except for the silly biodiversity, but it's my fault for not memorizing it :/

Yep agreed, biodiversity was weird as per :tongue:. Problem is, grade boundaries will be probably be really high this year so 100 may be like 89/90? Don't think I got 100 if that's the case but should be fine still. Where do you reckon about grade boundaries?
Reply 183
Original post by nurav11
Yep agreed, biodiversity was weird as per :tongue:. Problem is, grade boundaries will be probably be really high this year so 100 may be like 89/90? Don't think I got 100 if that's the case but should be fine still. Where do you reckon about grade boundaries?

Hmm, I'm awful at guessing grade boundaries but I would probably want to agree with you.. However a quick calc puts the average full UMS boundary at 81.6 (its only been 91 once!) so possibly more around high 80s? I hope it's low-ish though, as I'm pretty sure I've dropped around 4-5 for certain marks, and then my handwriting is practically illegible so...
Original post by kawehi

Nope, got AQA chemistry. UMS boundaries are ridiculously high (as literally EVERY PAPER IS THE SAME), it's just a question of how to make the least mistakes.
Nevertheless, just nailed my last past paper so going to relax for the rest of the evening now :biggrin:
Original post by nurav11

Hmm 90 is pretty unlikely (highest ever = 91 and second highest = 85). That said, this paper was pretty easy so I'd say 87/88 for full UMS on this one.

On a completely unrelated note, have you booked your UKCAT yet? I've just gone ahead and shelled out £65 (total rip-off :frown:) and booked for late July. I'm worried it's now going to come around far too soon though...
Hmm 90 is pretty unlikely (highest ever = 91 and second highest = 85). That said, this paper was pretty easy so I'd say 87/88 for full UMS on this one.

On a completely unrelated note, have you booked your UKCAT yet? I've just gone ahead and shelled out £65 (total rip-off :frown:) and booked for late July. I'm worried it's now going to come around far too soon though...

Reading through these posts makes me wish I wasn't doing CCEA chemistry. For AS1 it's generally around 83/100 raw for 80% UMS.

EDIT: just realised you were talking about biology, whoops.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 187
Nope, got AQA chemistry. UMS boundaries are ridiculously high (as literally EVERY PAPER IS THE SAME), it's just a question of how to make the least mistakes.
Nevertheless, just nailed my last past paper so going to relax for the rest of the evening now :biggrin:

Nice, and hmmm I'm pretty happy not to have anything AQA in my life rn haha
OCR is a bit dodgy though, as full UMS is dropping anywhere between 0 and 15 marks.. :dontknow:

I've booked my UKCAT for the 1st of September- Do you reckon that's too late? Idk, I feel like it's quite late :/

On a completely unrelated note, have you booked your UKCAT yet? I've just gone ahead and shelled out £65 (total rip-off :frown:) and booked for late July. I'm worried it's now going to come around far too soon though..

Yeah they are really high, but once you do enough past papers, the questions are so similar that you hardly have to read them :lol: but then again thats how i lose marks so should probably read them properly in the exam :biggrin:

Yeah I booked it for the 26th of August, I'm going on holiday (well not exactly holiday but rather work experience) so wanted to give myself more than enough time

Edit: the first part was for your previous post - this is what i mean by not looking properly :facepalm:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kawehi
Hmm, I'm awful at guessing grade boundaries but I would probably want to agree with you.. However a quick calc puts the average full UMS boundary at 81.6 (its only been 91 once!) so possibly more around high 80s? I hope it's low-ish though, as I'm pretty sure I've dropped around 4-5 for certain marks, and then my handwriting is practically illegible so...

Yeh I'm really hoping that it's not another freak year like a 90 odd or something but yeh high 80s seems likely, should be alright though. The mark scheme will always catch us out somewhere, especially in biodiversity but it should affect everyone equally. Dw mine is illegible aswell... It's honestly a miracle how they managed to read my essays at GCSE.

Yeh think that's about fair, I liked the big markers (except the 4 marker on phylogeny that was a little odd, just vomited everything I knew about that) Bio UMS will definitely have to pull up my Chem atm :tongue:.

Haha no not yet, I've got the books and things now so I'll start preparing as soon as we break up but I have no idea when I'll be able to do the UKCAT lol. Most likely it'll be late July though and my teacher recommended 2 full weeks to get up to speed on it but I'll probably do a little more than that... Will you leave your BMAT preparation until September? Also, what other unis are you considering? :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by nurav11
Yeh I'm really hoping that it's not another freak year like a 90 odd or something but yeh high 80s seems likely, should be alright though. The mark scheme will always catch us out somewhere, especially in biodiversity but it should affect everyone equally. Dw mine is illegible aswell... It's honestly a miracle how they managed to read my essays at GCSE.

Ugh same haha.. I do wonder sometimes how many marks I lose just because the examiner can't read my exorbitant dumpings of key words :tongue:
Original post by kawehi
Ugh same haha.. I do wonder sometimes how many marks I lose just because the examiner can't read my exorbitant dumpings of key words :tongue:

It got to a stage where I was considering underlining the key words just to make sure nothing was missed :tongue:. It would be very sad if marks were lost like that... Hopefully the correct biology will shine through.
Original post by thechemistress
I've booked my UKCAT for the 1st of September- Do you reckon that's too late? Idk, I feel like it's quite late :/

Nah I've only booked mine so early because I'm abroad in August and don't want it hanging over me during the holidays :tongue: As long as you give yourself a good 20 hours to prepare you'll be fine :smile:
Nah I've only booked mine so early because I'm abroad in August and don't want it hanging over me during the holidays :tongue: As long as you give yourself a good 20 hours to prepare you'll be fine :smile:

Great, hopefully I should be fine :lol:
Sorry for the ignorant question but how does the UKCAT work with different test days? Is is basically a different set of questions for different dates, and then candidates receive their scale score?
Original post by Wawasan
Sorry for the ignorant question but how does the UKCAT work with different test days? Is is basically a different set of questions for different dates, and then candidates receive their scale score?

Don't worry, it's not an ignorant question at all! The way I've been told that it happens is that it's the same test for all candidates on all test days (otherwise it would be really difficult to scale). The candidate receives their score on a printout the moment they finish the test. Because you can only ever spend a short amount of time on a single question, my guess is that most candidates forget the question content and thus little 'cheating' occurs in terms of candidates telling each other what questions will come up.
Also, there's something like 50 different days you can do the test on so I doubt they made a different set of questions for every single one!
Don't worry, it's not an ignorant question at all! The way I've been told that it happens is that it's the same test for all candidates on all test days (otherwise it would be really difficult to scale). The candidate receives their score on a printout the moment they finish the test. Because you can only ever spend a short amount of time on a single question, my guess is that most candidates forget the question content and thus little 'cheating' occurs in terms of candidates telling each other what questions will come up.
Also, there's something like 50 different days you can do the test on so I doubt they made a different set of questions for every single one!

Oh I see :smile: Yeah well the thing about cheating was the reason why I asked - sure it does seem as though its difficult for answers to be filtered out and I'd imagine that if there were major problems the format would have been refined by now. So yeah, quite interesting I think!
perhaps catz or queens here. r u taking alevel???

Latest

Trending

Trending