The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
He needs a 1 for STEP I right?

Indeed.
Original post by enaayrah
I think Ivy League schools look pretty cool though! So they'll be quite worth the fee :tongue:

My ultimate dream is to do my postgrad at an Ivy...:daydreaming:

i haven't looked into any unis outside of UK tbh! USA is too far...geographically and psychologically for some reason
Hahaha I only have short term goals XD So my first goal is applying to Cambridge, then get an offer, meet the offer, and after that I have no goal lol
Original post by Duskstar
Yeah there are people who do know I want to go to Cambridge and sometimes they answer for me like 'yeah xxx is going to Cambridge' as if it's definite, and I just start to cry a little inside :bawling: once I get my UMS for this year I'll be lot happier, and once I apply I suppose I'll be more comfortable :/

I know what you mean.

As for the mei UMS, I wouldnt worry because I lost quite a lot in M2 I think. Though, I cant remember the questions tbh. :redface:
Anything nice that I should know about queens(in general) in prep for my trip tomorrow?
Original post by tridianprime
Anything nice that I should know about queens(in general) in prep for my trip tomorrow?

https://www.youtube.com/user/jaketvee
Original post by tridianprime
I know what you mean.

As for the mei UMS, I wouldnt worry because I lost quite a lot in M2 I think. Though, I cant remember the questions tbh. :redface:

Yeah M2 normally has lower boundaries anyway (so maybe low 100 UMS?) you never know :P
Original post by Zer0.
Ah, no. I meant it as in you will get the UMS, therefore it's when I get the UMS as opposed to if I get the UMS :h:

Yeah I know what you meant :lol: I was just messing around
But seriously you never know, I could end up like "Well I should get at least 90+ average" to "oh damn barely scraped As". Anything could happen lol
Yeah there are people who do know I want to go to Cambridge and sometimes they answer for me like 'yeah xxx is going to Cambridge' as if it's definite, and I just start to cry a little inside :bawling: once I get my UMS for this year I'll be lot happier, and once I apply I suppose I'll be more comfortable :/

If only...:cry2:
It annoys me when I pull off my "err I'm not sure" strat and my friend standing next to me says "she's going for Cambridge" loudly I'm like stfu :angry:
A lot of people don't know that Cambridge interview most people, so they think getting an interview as such a massive accomplishment so I will let them think that when I get rejected :rofl:
I think Ivy League schools look pretty cool though! So they'll be quite worth the fee :tongue:

My ultimate dream is to do my postgrad at an Ivy...:daydreaming:

When I first started to think about university it was between MIT and Cambridge... then I decided I wasn't going to bother with the US because Cambridge was just as prestigious, closer to home, and a lot cheaper!
Original post by C0balt
If only...:cry2:
It annoys me when I pull off my "err I'm not sure" strat and my friend standing next to me says "she's going for Cambridge" loudly I'm like stfu :angry:
A lot of people don't know that Cambridge interview most people, so they think getting an interview as such a massive accomplishment so I will let them think that when I get rejected :rofl:

Hmm, it does feel good to talk to other people applying though, because then when you talk about not caring about A grades they're on the same side, you just have to hush up when anyone else gets near :rofl:

Anyway I'm sure we'll all do well! We're keening it out on here for a reason after all :console:
When I first started to think about university it was between MIT and Cambridge... then I decided I wasn't going to bother with the US because Cambridge was just as prestigious, closer to home, and a lot cheaper!

MIT & Cambridge have an exchange program
Apparently it's not recommended though

That's exactly why I stuck to staying in this country! :tongue: I think 'Merica may be better when I'm a bit older anyway. God knows what kind of crazy stuff I'd get up to if I was to go at this age...
That's exactly why I stuck to staying in this country! :tongue: I think 'Merica may be better when I'm a bit older anyway. God knows what kind of crazy stuff I'd get up to if I was to go at this age...

Funny that you're discussing this - I'm actually taking the ACT exam on Saturday lol!
Original post by Number Nine
MIT & Cambridge have an exchange program
Apparently it's not recommended though

I haven't heard of that anywhere... I can understand why it wouldn't be recommended - the course at one uni is probably good enough as is!

Aha I doubt I'd get up to any less if I went there later in life :shifty:
US universities aren't old enough for me!
I haven't heard of that anywhere... I can understand why it wouldn't be recommended - the course at one uni is probably good enough as is!

Aha I doubt I'd get up to any less if I went there later in life :shifty:

Apparently it's not as rigourous due to American universities having the major/minor system (i.e. you can take history modules during maths degree, that sort of thing)
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I do astrophysics work experience, even though I'm applying for MML :biggrin:

Medieval Reenactment?

Tap dancing?

How did you go about getting astrophysics work experience?!
Original post by C0balt
i haven't looked into any unis outside of UK tbh! USA is too far...geographically and psychologically for some reason
Hahaha I only have short term goals XD So my first goal is applying to Cambridge, then get an offer, meet the offer, and after that I have no goal lol

Lol it goes pretty much like this for me:

get grades* >> apply to Cambridge >> get an interview* >> get an offer* >> meet offer* >> get 2.1 or higher at Camb* >> apply for postgrad at Ivy >> get into Ivy* (there's more but you know... :tongue:)

Should the above asterisked* events not happen, just cry. Seriously, I'll just cry while I fill in the tenth application form to be a customer assistant at Tescos :cry:

It all seems pretty sorted- shame that it's so complicated in practice :frown:
Original post by Number Nine
Apparently it's not as rigourous due to American universities having the major/minor system (i.e. you can take history modules during maths degree, that sort of thing)

Ah I've heard of a few UK unis doing that too.

The CS course at Cambridge is flexible in a similar way already - you do half CS in first year, a quarter Maths and then a quarter option, which is probably going to be the hardest thing to decide on for my application.
Lol it goes pretty much like this for me:

get grades* >> apply to Cambridge >> get an interview* >> get an offer* >> meet offer* >> get 2.1 or higher at Camb* >> apply for postgrad at Ivy >> get into Ivy* (there's more but you know... :tongue:)

Should the above asterisked* events not happen, just cry. Seriously, I'll just cry while I fill in the tenth application form to be a customer assistant at Tescos :cry:

It all seems pretty sorted- shame that it's so complicated in practice :frown:

You forgot getting your Bronze DofE award
Original post by Wawasan
Funny that you're discussing this - I'm actually taking the ACT exam on Saturday lol!

Are you applying there? :eek:
Which uni?

Latest

Trending

Trending