The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by barbriallen
Another aspiring theologian! Hello :biggrin:

I was referring to King's College, Cambridge but I've been thinking about KCL too! The only thing is I'm not sure what I can afford as an international. What got me started on Cambridge is this scholarship for Canadians (Blyth Scholars) that covers everything (tuition, living expenses, travel between Cambridge and Canada, and a monthly allowance). It's a long-shot to say the least but it's too amazing not to apply for it :tongue:

But since I'm filling out UCAS anyways I may as well apply for five unis. Do all universities in the UK have interviews? Top of my list would be Cambridge, KCL, Durham, St Andrews, and Bristol. I don't know about Exeter and Sheffield, what do you like about them? And are you applying for straight theology?

I am applying for straight Theology. Only three places interview: Oxford, Cambridge and Manchester. Durham is, in my opinion in top three for Theology - outside of Oxbridge I would say that it is probably best although some say KCL is. Its department is right next to the Cathedral, its course is inherently Christian but also very optional and the Complete University Guide ranks it first for Theology in the UK. Exeter is bizarrely much less well-known even though it is fifth for Theology and 10th overall. Its course is again optional and the campus is great, especially as it has the most trees per student! Sheffield, like Leeds does not actually have a Theology department, despite offering a course. At Sheffield there are less teaching staff, less funding but a completely optional and tailorable course with mostly very interesting modules.
Original post by Jordan\
Doesn't mean I'm any good at it :wink: Are you liking C3?

I know what you mean, sure C3 etc. counts as preparation! I'm just working my way through the numerical methods notes in C3 atm. Does anyone else make proper notes for maths, or do they just do it?

so boring
just gonna finish the textbook and do some past papers
Original post by Number Nine
so boring
just gonna finish the textbook and do some past papers

C3 Trig and C4 calculus is where it gets interesting IMO
Original post by Jordan\
C3 Trig and C4 calculus is where it gets interesting IMO

AQA C3 trig isnt that nice and im still stuck on fully understanding it, gonna try at it again later
AQA C3 trig isnt that nice and im still stuck on fully understanding it, gonna try at it again later

I actually found it much easy after doing the calculus in C4, you end up using the double angle formulas etc. so much with integration that it becomes much easier to spot stuff if you know what I mean
Original post by lyricalvibe

Wait that place exists... It's mentioned in like every anime?!

Yup it does, it is actually an area with a lot of electronics shops etc
It's got a moderately large station and I used to go past there everyday for school :moon:
Now that people are talking here my productive Bastille day is going to be distracted :ahee:
Original post by oswim
Did many people here fast track maths? Because I know some places do AS maths and As further maths in year 12. My school does the whole A-level Maths in the first year, is that rare?

Nah that's what my school does as well :smile: surely doing AS further maths without having completed A2 maths is making it more difficult then it need be? Some of the AS further maths units assume you already know A2 maths units?
Original post by oswim
My school does the whole A-level Maths in the first year, is that rare?

No, this is quite common, especially at larger sixth forms/colleges where people doing FM are taught separately from those just doing regular AS maths.
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
Nah that's what my school does as well :smile: surely doing AS further maths without having completed A2 maths is making it more difficult then it need be? Some of the AS further maths units assume you already know A2 maths units?

My school does that too! Although, I met a few people when I was at a residential in Cambridge that did both AS in Year 13 and they sat C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2 and S4 :s-smilie: Now THAT is unfair :lol:
Original post by Jordan\
My school does that too! Although, I met a few people when I was at a residential in Cambridge that did both AS in Year 13 and they sat C1, C2, FP1, M1, M2 and S4 :s-smilie: Now THAT is unfair :lol:

You mean year 12?
Original post by lyricalvibe
Wait that place exists... It's mentioned in like every anime?!

The Oxford thread is lonely though...Anyway I still own this place so as long as I'm leader I commission all oxbridge hopefuls to be friends :h:

Same about imperial :smile: but also Oxford :colone: you doing straight maths?

Indeed it does :smile: and it's a good thing my card works here, and for a rather low commission charge of 2 percent thanks to nationwide. Bad for the bank account though...

Lol, ok. I'm going for straight maths yeah. Then probs a masters. Haven't thought much beyond that really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You mean year 12?

Yeah, well in NI we call it Year 13

I (by no means clever) did C1/2 M1 for my maths AS and for my further maths AS I did FP1, D1 and M2
While M2 does assume knowledge from C3/4 it's not much and only really differentiation/integration of sine, cosine, e^f(x)
I (by no means clever) did C1/2 M1 for my maths AS and for my further maths AS I did FP1, D1 and M2
While M2 does assume knowledge from C3/4 it's not much and only really differentiation/integration of sine, cosine, e^f(x)

:wink: lies
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
I'm thinking about it seriously, for computer science. And you? :smile:

You just want to meet Jake Wright :P
Original post by Duskstar
You just want to meet Jake Wright :P

I DO so much
Original post by Jordan\
I DO so much

He wasn't there on the open day unfortunately :frown: Although I heard someone talking to the Queens DoS about him lol
Original post by Jordan\
I DO so much

I was looking at his picture tweets and you're in one of them :colone:
Original post by Jordan\
I DO so much

He's graduated now. Although I'm sure he'll keep in touch...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending