The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by hannahtetteh
Your grades are fine! I got lower UMS than you in Econ and I got an offer

Thank you! :smile:
What college did you apply to and what was your offer and did you meet it?

Also, the standard offer is A*AA at Cambridge or A*A*A... will they lower the offer due to me getting maths a level a year earlier?
Want to do Classics but I only have an average of 87 in my top 3. Is it worth considering cambridge or not? Head of sixth form told me to forget it and that I would not get in.
Original post by PS4

Also, the standard offer is A*AA at Cambridge or A*A*A... will they lower the offer due to me getting maths a level a year earlier?

They will most likely give you an offer for 4 A Levels, perhaps A*A*AA or A*A*A*A or something because you have already achieved one of them.
Original post by PS4

Applied to Kings but I was pooled to Girton (my interview at Kings was AWFUL). My offer was A*AA and I got 4A*s.
I'm not sure whether they'll lower your offer. It's possible that Cambridge will still ask for A*AA - my mate did an A Level early and still received the same offer as me
Applied to Kings but I was pooled to Girton (my interview at Kings was AWFUL). My offer was A*AA and I got 4A*s.
I'm not sure whether they'll lower your offer. It's possible that Cambridge will still ask for A*AA - my mate did an A Level early and still received the same offer as me

I don't think early A level counts as part of offer
Original post by PS4

Your likely offer (if you get one) will be to achieve A*AA in Y13 and will not include any A-levels you took early.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PS4

It depends whether or not your school cashed in your maths a level or not. I did the same, and my school haven't ,so it can be used in an offer next year. If they have, then unfortunately, you will be made an offer on 3 subjects, and maths will not be one of them.
Original post by C0balt
I don't think early A level counts as part of offer

Sorry my post was unclear! My friend's offer was A*AA excluding the A* he had already achieved (so I agree with you)
Reply 7988
Yeah I thought so thanks :smile:

Cambridge is the only uni that I'm applying to that doesn't specify a* in maths while lse warwick and ucl all do so I would have to only get 2 A's and a pass in fm if I got an offer those 3 unis or A*AA if I get an offer from Cambridge.

So essentially, an A* in Maths a level early is useless for Cambridge or am I wrong because it doesn't affect the offer or does it affect the selection process?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 7989

Wow! Those are amazing grades... well done! Thanks for replying :smile:
By any chance, does Cambridge look at your school and their performance? i got AAAB and a scraped A in F.Maths, would my school having low grades on average make my application an exception?
Sorry my post was unclear! My friend's offer was A*AA excluding the A* he had already achieved (so I agree with you)

Yeah I understood what you meant :smile: sorry to be unclear as well :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobjim12
By any chance, does Cambridge look at your school and their performance? i got AAAB and a scraped A in F.Maths, would my school having low grades on average make my application an exception?

As far as I know they look at both your GCSE and your A Levels in relations to your schools average.
Original post by Jordan\
x

Btw I saw the stalking page thing and you actually did really well with your UMS as well, where is the Jordan saying he'd get AABB! :ahee: Congrats :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PS4
Wow! Those are amazing grades... well done! Thanks for replying :smile:

No worries, feel free to message me if you have any other qs
Original post by PS4
Yeah I thought so thanks :smile:

Cambridge is the only uni that I'm applying to that doesn't specify a* in maths while lse warwick and ucl all do so I would have to only get 2 A's and a pass in fm if I got an offer those 3 unis or A*AA if I get an offer from Cambridge.

So essentially, an A* in Maths a level early is useless for Cambridge or am I wrong because it doesn't affect the offer or does it affect the selection process?

Thanks in advance.

An early A-level is not useless and would be assessed as part of your overall application. It just isn't included in any offer.

Cambridge can and often do specify which subject the A* needs to be in. Although this may vary by course and college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7996
No worries, feel free to message me if you have any other qs

I will do. Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 7997
Original post by jneill
An early A-level is not useless and would be assessed as part of your overall application. It just isn't included in any offer.

Cambridge can and often do specify which subject the A* needs to be in. Although this may vary by course and college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right I thought it would affect the selection process. Yeah ik about that because one of my mates got an offer for a*a*a in further maths and economics specified even though he did maths as Cambridge knew he was getting an a a star in maths (100 in c3 in year 12).
Original post by C0balt
Btw I saw the stalking page thing and you actually did really well with your UMS as well, where is the Jordan saying he'd get AABB! :ahee: Congrats :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM

:awesome: thank you! That's just my three best subjects, with 200/200 in Art & Design which pulls it up a little bit, although I doubt anyone will care about it because it's Art.

I honestly do not know how I got AA in French and Spanish, I don't know what happened :lol:
Original post by PS4
Ah right I thought it would affect the selection process. Yeah ik about that because one of my mates got an offer for a*a*a in further maths and economics specified even though he did maths as Cambridge knew he was getting an a a star in maths (100 in c3 in year 12).

Wait so his offer was basically a*a*a*a (if you include his maths)?? Did he get an a* in Maths in year 12?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending