The Student Room Group

protein shakes......?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xiuchen
Just a warning, protein shakes can hurt your kidney and liver. Too much protein is actually unhealthy for you. For loosing weight, rely on a low fat and carb diet (don't make drastic changes to your diet though, that can lead to problems, you need to change slowly). It isn't cheating, but there are many studies which show it has negative effects. Your normal diet will probably have enough protein anyway. I think it isn't worth the risk to damage your vital organs just to look better :P but it is ultimately your choice, just be aware of the risks :smile:

Whilst you are correct, too much protein can **** up your kidney long term... So can fat or carbs.

'Too much' protein is going to be at about 450grams per day though. If you're hitting 450grams per day, you're doing it wrong. I don't care how big you are.

Protein shakes are no more dangerous than chicken breast is. I guess it's easier to drink 5 protein shakes in one day than it is to eat 5 chicken breasts but as long as you're sensible and keep your protein intake somewhere between 100 and 250 then you're not going overboard and should see decent gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
if taste is what you're after you might as well drink Nesquik. I would be more interested in the nutritional content than taste

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously I sorry about nutrition in the shake, too.

Optimum Nutrition, to be fair to them, have awesome nutrition. You won't find too many shakes that offer 24g of protein and less than 125 calories per scoop.

I was just saying that I am prepared I pay over the norm in order to have a great shake (nutrition wise) which also tastes awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewif002
Whilst you are correct, too much protein can **** up your kidney long term... So can fat or carbs.

'Too much' protein is going to be at about 450grams per day though. If you're hitting 450grams per day, you're doing it wrong. I don't care how big you are.

Protein shakes are no more dangerous than chicken breast is. I guess it's easier to drink 5 protein shakes in one day than it is to eat 5 chicken breasts but as long as you're sensible and keep your protein intake somewhere between 100 and 250 then you're not going overboard and should see decent gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just saying, you should take protein moderately, don't go crazy with it:biggrin:
Reply 23
Obviously I sorry about nutrition in the shake, too.

Optimum Nutrition, to be fair to them, have awesome nutrition. You won't find too many shakes that offer 24g of protein and less than 125 calories per scoop.

I was just saying that I am prepared I pay over the norm in order to have a great shake (nutrition wise) which also tastes awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Optimum Nutrition is great (I use their Whey isolates as well). However, please just use it as a supplement with lots of natural sources of proteins.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't really need to 'pay over the norm', got my MyProtein whey the other day (chocolate smooth) and it tastes like Frijj milkshakes to be fair. 19g per shake. And about £30 cheaper than ON :tongue:
Original post by blackened_sky
You don't really need to 'pay over the norm', got my MyProtein whey the other day (chocolate smooth) and it tastes like Frijj milkshakes to be fair. 19g per shake. And about £30 cheaper than ON :tongue:

I don't get why people pay so much for protein. They'd be better off shopping at places like MyProtein and spending the extra that would have been spent on ON stuff on things like chicken, beef, eggs, spinach and other veggies.b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
I don't get why people pay so much for protein. They'd be better off shopping at places like MyProtein and spending the extra that would have been spent on ON stuff on things like chicken, beef, eggs, spinach and other veggies.b

Posted from TSR Mobile

ON is a lot cheaper in the US isn't it? So I guess that's why it's recommended a lot but isn't really that great value for anyone not in the US. When I was looking into it I'd search specifically for what UK users bought, MyProtein and theproteinworks seemed to be the top 2 for quality and price.

God damn chicken is so expensive though.
Reply 27
You don't need protein shakes. Nobody does. It's just a matter of preference.

Depending on where you buy it, whey protein is usually cheaper than dietary protein sources such as chicken and eggs etc. It is also more convenient, and people like bulk buying so they don't always have to worry about their supply.

Myself, I don't take any form of supplement, because I am able to consume enough protein (250g) daily from diet alone. It is more expensive, but I enjoy making and eating the food I prepare, plus I am only 17 and still living at home so I don't pay for my food, I just buy it and cook it. I guess this is the main reason I don't take supplements, as I would have to fund them myself.

I have recently started writing articles for MyProtein, which means I get given vouchers for the website, so I will probably end up buying some soon.

I would only buy protein from MyProtein, since other brands are a lot more expensive, and the quality from MP is excellent.

tl;dr

If you reach your daily protein goals easily w/o supplements, you don't need them.
I use Maximuscle ProMax lean, 38g of protein per serving and contains green tea and guarana extract which really helps to wake up and motivation after a long day if I then want to go gym in the evening. Recommended, but in reality you can get all the protein you need from a high protein diet, even if youre wanting to build big muscle. Protein shakes are just "a little something extra" that is not cheating or illegal.
Dude protein shakes aren't some sort of magical supplement, they just help you get protein easier.

When your body building you want to aim to get at least 1g of protein per lbs of body weight.
Original post by Hasufel
what do you guys (and gals) think of protien shakes?

I`m considering trying them (maybe not all the time, but just a sort of "tester packet" for a couple of weeks to see if i see any improvement.

I`ve read about protien shakes versus chocolate milk ( high in calories) and protien seems to win hands down - but here`s my worry:

I`m exercising (weights, non-weights, jogging (only my 3rd day and i managed 2.7 miles!!!)) :smile: but, i`m trying to get rid of the remaining fat on my belly (as well as tone-up generally) and my worry is: will a protein shake just pile more onto my belly?

I`m really uncertain about shakes, as i don`t want to "cheat" in getting a better body by using them.

Recommend? not recommend?

Please help!

what flavour have u been doing and does it work and does it help you loose weight
Reply 31
Original post by .JC.
You don't need protein shakes. Nobody does. It's just a matter of preference.

Depending on where you buy it, whey protein is usually cheaper than dietary protein sources such as chicken and eggs etc. It is also more convenient, and people like bulk buying so they don't always have to worry about their supply.

Myself, I don't take any form of supplement, because I am able to consume enough protein (250g) daily from diet alone. It is more expensive, but I enjoy making and eating the food I prepare, plus I am only 17 and still living at home so I don't pay for my food, I just buy it and cook it. I guess this is the main reason I don't take supplements, as I would have to fund them myself.

I have recently started writing articles for MyProtein, which means I get given vouchers for the website, so I will probably end up buying some soon.

I would only buy protein from MyProtein, since other brands are a lot more expensive, and the quality from MP is excellent.

tl;dr

If you reach your daily protein goals easily w/o supplements, you don't need them.

The quality of MP is terrible hence why it is cheap, protein is protein though.

USN, ON prices are absurd, just get from discount supplements for half the price.
Original post by AMG44
The quality of MP is terrible hence why it is cheap, protein is protein though.

USN, ON prices are absurd, just get from discount supplements for half the price.

what do you mean the quality is terrible?
Original post by Greg Jackson

It isn't.
https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein
Reply 34
Original post by presleyc47
what flavour have u been doing and does it work and does it help you loose weight

since my original post, i`ve lost 1 and 1/2 inches from my pot belly as i continue to exercise, and have added deadlift, squats and laterals to my exercises (i`ve been exercising like a b****!).

I have only tried ONE protien shake (powder) so far, which is "Precision" whey protien.

Found it completely putrid, so have been having usn 25g, or Powerbar 50g shake as a meal replacement (and the occassional protein flapjack!)

Is my stomach reduction too much? ( i do still look bloated)

( i only have one of these shakes evey other day - as 1) can`t afford it all the time 2) have chocolate milk the other days after workout) (....i can hear the intake of breathe....oooh...calories!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Greg Jackson

Ingredients, taste. IMO the worst tasting protein i've had.
My advice is just get what you can afford. I will say though that MyProtein is the cheapest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest