The Student Room Group

How do people eat 2000 calories a day?

I'm a girl so recommended calorie intake is 2000 according to Google.

I feel like that's incredibly high???? I eat like 500 calories a day, which may sound like nothing but I wake up late so don't eat breakfast, then have toast for lunch or a sandwich or whatever, then a bowl of pasta or something small for dinner. This is enough to fuel me for the entire day. I could eat more but I don't feel hungry. Occasionally I'll snack but I'm trying not to because it's just unhealthy, and 'healthy' snacks don't have calories anyway.

Sometimes I can eat a lot though, I don't often though because I'm so poor lol. But I can eat say a full English for breakfast, Nandos for lunch, McDonalds for dinner. And I'll still be hungry.

I don't really get my diet tbh is there something wrong with me?
Reply 1
500 calories is far too low and you won't be getting the right nutrition in terms of vitamins and minerals etc, with eating so little and/or having junk and processed food. And of course snacks have calories, including healthy ones.

You are setting yourself up for all kinds of health problems. Go and see your GP to discuss this and get a check-up; lack of interest in food is a sign of malnutrition.
If you are actually eating 500 calories a day, you need to see a doctor
Your previous thread seems relevant.

As you wouldn’t be putting on weight on such a restricted diet I’m guessing you either cut back as a result, or you just perceived yourself to be getting ‘chubby’ in the face.

In either case I agree with the above that you need to speak to your GP.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
500 calories is far too low and you won't be getting the right nutrition in terms of vitamins and minerals etc, with eating so little and/or having junk and processed food. And of course snacks have calories, including healthy ones.

You are setting yourself up for all kinds of health problems. Go and see your GP to discuss this and get a check-up; lack of interest in food is a sign of malnutrition.

Original post by Angry cucumber
If you are actually eating 500 calories a day, you need to see a doctor

Original post by Admit-One

As you wouldn’t be putting on weight on such a restricted diet I’m guessing you either cut back as a result, or you just perceived yourself to be getting ‘chubby’ in the face.

I'm not doing it on purpose, that's just the amount I've been eating my whole life. I've just not really noticed/counted until recently as I was interested in how many I have a day.

What would I say to a doctor, I don't have an ED or anything. They'd just say eat more and I can do that, e.g., today I had fast food so had nearly 2000. It's just when I don't go out to eat, I can manage toast and pasta. Isn't that a normal amount to eat?? People don't eat a billion slices of toast a day..?

I am at uni rn so maybe my calorie intake is lower than when I'm at home, but I don't eat that much more at home apart from dinner - I'll still have a sandwich for lunch or something, but I won't have a 1000+ calorie dinner.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One

I am getting chubbier in the face, nowhere else. That's what I don't get. My family have pointed it out as well. Medical anomaly?
Reply 6
Original post by fudgeyx
What would I say to a doctor, I don't have an ED or anything. They'd just say eat more and I can do that, e.g., today I had fast food so had nearly 2000. It's just when I don't go out to eat, I can manage toast and pasta. Isn't that a normal amount to eat?? People don't eat a billion slices of toast a day..?

Yo-yoing between 500 calories and 2000 calories isn't going to help as it will still leave you in a calorie deficit over a number of days.

Anyway, it's not just about calories, as I've already said. People should eat a healthy, balanced diet. Toast and pasta is just carbs; you need protein, vegetables, fruit to get the full range of essentials, like vitamins abdminerals, that your body needs.

See your GP for a check-up to make sure there hasn't been too much damage done and that you can progress from here. See them on the grounds that you need advice on how to eat healthily, as your responses show you don't understand the basics of nutrition.
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
Yo-yoing between 500 calories and 2000 calories isn't going to help as it will still leave you in a calorie deficit over a number of days.

Anyway, it's not just about calories, as I've already said. People should eat a healthy, balanced diet. Toast and pasta is just carbs; you need protein, vegetables, fruit to get the full range of essentials, like vitamins abdminerals, that your body needs.

See your GP for a check-up to make sure there hasn't been too much damage done and that you can progress from here. See them on the grounds that you need advice on how to eat healthily, as your responses show you don't understand the basics of nutrition.

I'm not an idiot, I'm not purposefully restricting my calorie intake or 'yo-yoing'. I'm aware I don't have a completely balanced diet compared to some people as I can't afford to buy a lot of stuff, but I do eat a wide range of foods from different food groups. I've used toast and pasta as examples to question why such small amounts of food are enough for me for the entire day some days, but other days I can eat thousands of calories.

I eat meats occasionally (very expensive, but I eat vegetarian protein as well), I eat a LOT of vegetables, sometimes fruit as it's expensive, dairy, and carbs, and fats. Just not all of them every day.

I haven't *changed my diet recently* to cause any new 'damage', I've eaten like this my whole life, so I'm aware I could have health problems, as per the title of this thread and my original thread I'm wondering how other people manage to eat so much more.
Reply 8
Original post by fudgeyx
…I'm wondering how other people manage to eat so much more.

Obviously 500 calories per day is way too low. You know that so I won't go further into it.

First of all, most people eat breakfast. Whether that means getting up a little earlier to eat something (and then either go back to bed or have a bit more of the day to do things!), or eating a late breakfast once you're up at your usual time and then moving "lunch" and "dinner" to a little later (e.g. a meal at 1pm, 5pm and 11pm, rather than just 1pm and 7pm or whatever).

Have bigger meals. Increase your portion sizes more pasta, more rice, more everything. Make sure you get in some protein, fats, vitamins and minerals as well as carbohydrates. Add more things to your meals to increase their nutritional value. If you feel that you struggle with larger volumes of food, then increase the calories by, for example, adding a load of butter and cheese to your pasta, spreading an extra thick layer of peanut butter on your toast (plus butter, banana, jam, honey etc. as well as peanut butter) (Lidl and Aldi do kg tubs of peanut butter for like £3.99 last time I checked) (heck I eat it by the spoonful straight from the tub lol). Basically put more calorie-dense foods into what you're eating. Plus make your meals all really tasty so you want to eat loads :smile:, and eat everything on your plate.

Snacking isn't necessarily unhealthy in fact it can be an important component to your day in terms of getting food in. Plus (quiet) library snacks hehe :tongue:
Also, "healthy" low calorie.
I have found that getting into a routine of having a snack at xxx time (and again later in the day) can really help to a) make yourself have some more food, and b) actually increase your appetite.
If you don't fancy eating something, how about a drink? Milk, for example, is pretty cheap. Straight up, or make smoothies, shakes, milky teas/coffees etc. You can also stick a load of oats, peanut butter, etc etc into a smoothie without really noticing too much.

Cheapish things that are often on my shopping list coming from a hungry gal who eats a TON and also has a student budget:
Oats, rice, pasta, some bread look for the "basics" range e.g. the Sainsbury's Hubbard's Foodstore or Stamford Street Co., often "price matched" to Aldi/Lidl or if you're lucky even cheaper.
Lidl/Aldi kg tub of peanut butter.
Carrots are reasonably cheap, and a few other types fruit and veg depending on season and state of the Cost Of Living Crisis. Also look in the frozen and tinned sections. Dried lentils, chickpeas etc take a bit of time to cook but worth it.
Cheap yoghurt, cheap jam, cheap chocolate.
Depends what you eat really. Shop around, make the most out of loyalty cards and bonuses/discounts. Yellow stickers.
Reply 9
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Obviously 500 calories per day is way too low. You know that so I won't go further into it.

First of all, most people eat breakfast. Whether that means getting up a little earlier to eat something (and then either go back to bed or have a bit more of the day to do things!), or eating a late breakfast once you're up at your usual time and then moving "lunch" and "dinner" to a little later (e.g. a meal at 1pm, 5pm and 11pm, rather than just 1pm and 7pm or whatever).

Have bigger meals. Increase your portion sizes more pasta, more rice, more everything. Make sure you get in some protein, fats, vitamins and minerals as well as carbohydrates. Add more things to your meals to increase their nutritional value. If you feel that you struggle with larger volumes of food, then increase the calories by, for example, adding a load of butter and cheese to your pasta, spreading an extra thick layer of peanut butter on your toast (plus butter, banana, jam, honey etc. as well as peanut butter) (Lidl and Aldi do kg tubs of peanut butter for like £3.99 last time I checked) (heck I eat it by the spoonful straight from the tub lol). Basically put more calorie-dense foods into what you're eating. Plus make your meals all really tasty so you want to eat loads :smile:, and eat everything on your plate.

Snacking isn't necessarily unhealthy in fact it can be an important component to your day in terms of getting food in. Plus (quiet) library snacks hehe :tongue:
Also, "healthy" low calorie.
I have found that getting into a routine of having a snack at xxx time (and again later in the day) can really help to a) make yourself have some more food, and b) actually increase your appetite.
If you don't fancy eating something, how about a drink? Milk, for example, is pretty cheap. Straight up, or make smoothies, shakes, milky teas/coffees etc. You can also stick a load of oats, peanut butter, etc etc into a smoothie without really noticing too much.

Cheapish things that are often on my shopping list coming from a hungry gal who eats a TON and also has a student budget:
Oats, rice, pasta, some bread look for the "basics" range e.g. the Sainsbury's Hubbard's Foodstore or Stamford Street Co., often "price matched" to Aldi/Lidl or if you're lucky even cheaper.
Lidl/Aldi kg tub of peanut butter.
Carrots are reasonably cheap, and a few other types fruit and veg depending on season and state of the Cost Of Living Crisis. Also look in the frozen and tinned sections. Dried lentils, chickpeas etc take a bit of time to cook but worth it.
Cheap yoghurt, cheap jam, cheap chocolate.
Depends what you eat really. Shop around, make the most out of loyalty cards and bonuses/discounts. Yellow stickers.

THANK YOU the only helpful answer <3

Quick Reply

Latest