The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (5th June Friday)

Scroll to see replies

For the effector question I put muscle contracts and moves. Is that right cos I think im wrong :/
Original post by QuantumPotato
If i write 5600 - 1120 = 4480 do they still give me the mark?

Thing that yet confuses me is where does 5600 come from? The last stage has a range of 5000..
Original post by Jay Rye
I would sign it, there was so many question based on interpreting graphs and strange questions that didn't include some of the main topics that were worded weirdly ( like EVOLUTION 1/7 OF B1)

I know 😢 We were doing so many 6 mark questions in class yet only ONE came up its really frustrating. Im pretty sure it was all maths in my opinion. Biology is my favourite subject, but this was a nightmare 😨😨 Cant believe it i actually felt sick after the exam it was that bad 😳
Original post by Al_YG
Everyone I have some bad news... the leprosy question is actually wrong! It stated in the writing at the top that it has been banned. I know.. i didn't see it either.

Oh I thought the answer was some forms of cancer, as that's what it says in some revision guides :frown: Ahhh didn't know about leprosy xD
Original post by eza11
what did people put for the one about the fish having the light? it said suggest a benefit or something

I wrote that it had a light to guide small fish towards it so that the fish can eat it and something else. No word of a lie this test was harder than the maths exam 😣
Reply 585
Original post by *SweaterWeather*
There's not really any point making a petition, as the grade boundaries will be based on how everyone did, as certain proportions of the people who did it get A*, A, B, etc... So since everyone seems to have found it quite hard, then the grade boundaries will drop, so you should still get your target grade :smile: Personally I found it surprisingly okay though :redface:

Your right however the less smart people would also be at an advantage since that exam didn't require much revision on actual biology, mostly on graphs. Meaning that it seems 'on paper' as though everyone did bad however people who actually know biology better are not credited one bit.
Original post by Al_YG
Everyone I have some bad news... the leprosy question is actually wrong! It stated in the writing at the top that it has been banned. I know.. i didn't see it either.

Wtf no way
I knew cancer as well I just put leprosy
Reply 587
Original post by Deval
LOOL thats impossible, Normally a C is 30/60 and you're expecting an A to be 28/60, forget it bro.

A C is usually about 23 actually and a B is 30
Original post by eza11
what did people put for the one about the fish having the light? it said suggest a benefit or something

- It attracts smaller fish as it's dark that deep down, so they come to investigate, and since the light is just above the mouth it's easy for the angler fish to eat them
- It is powered by bacteria so doesnt require the angler fish's energy to make it shine
- It helps the angler fish to see prey that it might want to eat

I have no idea if these are right, it's just what I wrote ^-^
Reply 589
Original post by Lillymay2000
I wrote that it had a light to guide small fish towards it so that the fish can eat it and something else. No word of a lie this test was harder than the maths exam 😣

thats good,i put it would warn predators away which I'm not sure about and doubt that is 2 marks worth
Reply 590
what did people put for oestrogen 3rd question.. something about steroid hormone?
Original post by eza11
lol i thought similar i did 80-33.5 hahaha maybe we might get 1 mark for getting the 33.5 as some many have not spotted that was needed??

You simply multiplied the old percentage by 1.8 (80% increase) which gave you 60.4 or around there.
Reply 592
LOOL this 'jodie99'... you seem to have got wrong everything I got wrong. Whats your predicted grade on this?? I usually get more than 55/60 on exams yet this I found a nightmare.
Original post by Jodie99
Wtf no way
I knew cancer as well I just put leprosy

Im pretty sure leprosy is right though, its in the text book gonna just have to wait and see
Original post by *SweaterWeather*
- It attracts smaller fish as it's dark that deep down, so they come to investigate, and since the light is just above the mouth it's easy for the angler fish to eat them
- It is powered by bacteria so doesnt require the angler fish's energy to make it shine
- It helps the angler fish to see prey that it might want to eat

I have no idea if these are right, it's just what I wrote ^-^

i wrote it attracts prey and mates (inspired by TheOatmeal's depraved comic about the male angler fish...)
Reply 595
Original post by Jodie99
Hmm I did think about putting ribosomes but I put nucleus because a) I knew the B1 spec b) It said what CONTROLS the production of protein and the nucleus controls the entire cell

I was insanely rushing so I could be wrong.

I also put nucleus, due to the wording of the question: because the nucleus controls the activities of the cell, which would in turn command the ribosome to perform the function, so nucleus would be the correct answer, however ribosomes would probably be in the allow column because it's insightful!
Original post by Al_YG
LOOL this 'jodie99'... you seem to have got wrong everything I got wrong. Whats your predicted grade on this?? I usually get more than 55/60 on exams yet this I found a nightmare.

Thanks.... 😵 I think I'm just commenting everywhere haha I don't think I got everythingg wrong. It's an A.

Edit- I thought you said EVERYTHING wrong, I was a little hurt 😂 but no yeah the test was not clear enough, same as B2
(edited 8 years ago)
Did anyone else think that the graph about carbon was labelled incorrectly? The questions were still do-able but at the top the processes such as respiration and combustion were labelled to be removing carbon from the atmosphere, whilst the opposite side was labelled carbon added and had under the X which you had to give as photosynthesis. A small error but left me confused. Also I found the bars hard to read as they were white, and I couldn't tell if it was half a square or a full one.
Original post by Al_YG
Your right however the less smart people would also be at an advantage since that exam didn't require much revision on actual biology, mostly on graphs. Meaning that it seems 'on paper' as though everyone did bad however people who actually know biology better are not credited one bit.

I wouldnt say 'less smart', I'd say the ones who are secure in their maths/analysis are better off :smile:
But I agree that the paper was lacking in actual biology content :/ However lots of the 'maths/analysis' is covered in the HowScienceWorks chapters, so I guess that might be the examiner's thinking - to test if anyone actually reads them...I know I don't, as I just assume I know it (probably wrongly tbh) and move on to the proper biology stuff ^-^
Original post by eza11
what did people put for oestrogen 3rd question.. something about steroid hormone?

Oral contraceptive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending