The Student Room Group

Elastic collisions in 2 dimensions question

I can't seem to visualise the following question:

"A small smooth marble is projected from a point of the edge of a smooth circular tray with a vertical side. The marble strikes the side of the tray twice and then returns to its starting point. The coefficient of restitution between the marble and the side of the tray is 12\frac{1}{2}. Find, to the nearest degree, the angle between the initial direction of motion of the ball and the radius at the point of projection."

If the side of the tray is vertical why would the ball hit the tray twice? Shouldn't it only hit it once then bounce back? The only situation I can visualise where the ball hits the side twice is if the side is curved.

Edit: Wait, are they basically describing a bowl? Is it implied that the side is curved?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson

"A small smooth marble is projected from a point of the edge of a smooth circular tray with a vertical side. The marble strikes the side of the tray twice and then returns to its starting point. The coefficient of restitution between the marble and the side of the tray is 12\frac{1}{2}. Find, to the nearest degree, the angle between the initial direction of motion of the ball and the radius at the point of projection."

If the side of the tray is vertical why would the ball hit the tray twice? Shouldn't it only hit it once then bounce back? The only situation I can visualise where the ball hits the side twice is if the side is curved.

Edit: Wait, are they basically describing a bowl? Is it implied that the side is curved?

I think the question means the tray is a short hollow cylinder with one end cut off.
Reply 2
Original post by ThatPerson

imagine a snooker table viewed from above. Its sides (cushions) are vertical
Petri dish.
Original post by danconway
Petri dish.

I prefer to think of it as a cylinder, take your biology away from here you traitor!

Quick Reply

Latest