The Student Room Group

How's FM1 - Edexcel?

Starting Further Mechanics 1 Edexcel Module in further maths in September, just wondered on how it is and what topics are particularly difficult

Thanks!
Original post by mskr710
Starting Further Mechanics 1 Edexcel Module in further maths in September, just wondered on how it is and what topics are particularly difficult

Thanks!

Imo, it was a very interesting module - especially chapter 5 (elastic collisions in two dimensions), but was certainly more challenging than the core pure content, FP1 and FS1 in my experience.

I personally thought chapters 3 (elastic strings and springs) and 5 were the most difficult parts of FM1 and that chapters 1 (momentum and impulse), 2 (work, energy and power) and 4 (elastic collisions in one dimension) were comparatively easier.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
Imo, it was a very interesting module - especially chapter 5 (elastic collisions in two dimensions), but was certainly more challenging than the core pure content, FP1 and FS1 in my experience.

I personally thought chapters 3 (elastic strings and springs) and 5 were the most difficult parts of FM1 and that chapters 1 (momentum and impulse), 2 (work, energy and power) and 4 (elastic collisions in one dimension) were comparatively easier.

Oh okay I see thank you, so with 3 and 5, what do u think was the reason for it being difficult?
Reply 3
Original post by mskr710
Oh okay I see thank you, so with 3 and 5, what do u think was the reason for it being difficult?

Normally finding the right method to use as there are lots of variations of similar questions. Practicing lots of different questions is probably the best way to get a feel for the slightly harder variations. That being said in FM1 each question normally starts in the same way eg writing out all velocities etc so find a nice way yo get all the info in the q down and work from there
Original post by mskr710

With chapter 3, there were a lot of links between topics that you had to spot. Fail to spot them and do the relevant calculations and your calculations would be wrong.

With chapter 5, there was a fair bit to remember and it was very easy to make mistakes in some of the longer calculations.

Quick Reply

Latest