The Student Room Group

How Hard is A Level Further Maths?

I have to submit my options soon and I am seriously considering FM, but have heard that it is a very hard A-Level. I am confident in maths but just wanted to hear the opinions of those who have already done it.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Difficulty is subjective, each person will give you a different opinion on this. If you are confident with your mathematical abilities there is no reason not to give it a go - you can always drop it at a later point (if you are doing it as a 4th A-Level). Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by SAA007
I have to submit my options soon and I am seriously considering FM, but have heard that it is a very hard A-Level. I am confident in maths but just wanted to hear the opinions of those who have already done it.

If you're doing Pearson Edexcel, then you can choose:

Further Mechanics 1 and Further Decision Maths 1. They are the easiest papers by far. Because Further Decision Maths 1 does not require any prior learning, and everything is just straightforward.

However, Further Mechanics 1 is mostly the old Mechanics 2 and the questions for M2 (IAL) are the same.

Momentum and Impulse

Work, Energy and Power

Elastic Strings and Springs

Elastic Collisions in 1D

Elastic Collisions in 2D

Reply 4
Original post by SAA007

Honestly it’s not as hard as people say it is. But I would say initially the jump and some of the content and ideas are hard to grasp but from there with practice and questions are quite doable and kinda repetitive. Still if you find it too hard you can always drop it or take as!

Quick Reply

Latest