The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Numerical Methods 12th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Genty Boy
This year was fair, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too bad other than the lagrange question which I only realised how to do at the end so ran out of time but the rest was ok i think
Answers I rememebr
2431 2433.1 or sumthing ill contioned problem 0.759 (secant)
Doing core 3 first warmed me up and boosted my confidence for NM.

I am certain I got most of it right, unfortunately I didn't finish question 7, I plotted the graph but then I realized they asked me to plot it between 0 and 1 so I didn't bother drawing secant method sketches.

I only got up to the x<sub>4</sub>, I asked for extra paper to do x<sub>5</sub> but I only got as far as writing the formula and writing the first two digits (0.6)

With the integration question.

At first I was going to do simpsons rule with two parabolas, I interpolated 0, 0,1 and 0.2 and integrated it exactly.

I was going to add the area under the parabola passing through 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6 but then I realized they didn't give me f(0.6) so I used mid-point rule and multiplied 0.4 by f(0.4) (forgot what it was)

So basically I added the parabola area and midpoint area to get my best estimate for integral I, that gave me 1.18 something but I was unsure to what degree of accuracy I should give.

I also wrote mid point rule, trapezium rule could not be done for all the points because f(0.3) and f(0.6) were not provided.

I then went back and use Lagrange interpolation to find a cubic passing through all of the given points. I integrated between 0 and 0.6 and found the area was about 1.16

So I said my best estimate was "1.2", to one decimal place.

In the second part where I had to explain what I would do different if they'd given me f(0.6), I wrote I would use simpsons rule with two parabolas.

For the differentiation question, I said with decreasing values of h, there are less and less decimal places so it becomes less accurate. At first I wrote down the best possible estimate for the gradient at 1 was 0.2 but I changed to 0.24 because:
3 out of the 5 estimates rounded to 0.24

If you do lagrange interpolation with the first 4 points (ignore the 5th point), and differentiate the cubic exactly, you get and answer that rounds to 0.24
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Primus2x
Doing core 3 first warmed me up and boosted my confidence for NM.

I am certain I got most of it right, unfortunately I didn't finish question 7, I plotted the graph but then I realized they asked me to plot it between 0 and 1 so I didn't bother drawing secant method sketches.

I only got up to the x<sub>4</sub>, I asked for extra paper to do x<sub>5</sub> but I only got as far as writing the formula and writing the first two digits (0.6)

With the integration question.

I said mid point rule, trapezium rule could not be done for all the points because f(0.3) and f(0.6) were not provided

At first I was going to do simpsons rule with two parabolas, I interpolated 0, 0,1 and 0.2 and integrated it exactly.

I was going to add the area under the parabola passing through 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6 but then I realized they didn't give me f(0.6) so I used mid-point rule and multiplied 0.4 by f(0.4) (forgot what it was)

So basically I added the parabola area and midpoint area to get my best estimate for integral I, that gave me 1.18 something but I was unsure to what degree of accuracy I should give.

I then went back and use Lagrange interpolation to find a cubic passing through all of the given points. I integrated between 0 and 0.6 and found the area was 1.16

So I said my best estimate was "1.2", to one decimal place.

In the second part where I had to explain what I would do different if they'd given me f(0.6), I wrote I would use simpsons rule with two parabolas.

remember the centrail drifference?
not sure exact what did you give ur final answer as and why > i put 0.2 as 3 h round to it
lagranges gave 0.5 more then aalpha for me as I did not ignore the last point
What was the absolute and relative errors for the question where you had to do 11u1v\frac{1}{\frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{v}}

Also in the question where:
Original post by RemainSilent
not sure exact what did you give ur final answer as and why > i put 0.2 as 3 h round to it

I meant 0.24, Yeah I put that though.

You can't use central difference because you have no x values less than 1, they tell you to use forward difference
I meant 0.24, Yeah I put that though.

You can't use central difference because you have no x values less than 1, they tell you to use forward difference

oh yeah thats what I meant :P
can rememer the exact answer but i got 1/u = 0.090909 and 1/v something aroud both to 5 s.f. and then calulcated it;

for secant thing i did about 7 or more iterations? you too or?

Ok.

I only had time to do four integrations, up to x4x_4 and I only wrote "0.6" for x5x_5 because the invigilators took my paper away before I could write everything else.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok.

I only had time to do four integrations, up to x4x_4 and I only wrote "0.6" for x5x_5 because the invigilators took my paper away before I could write everything else.

I did it but seemed like a lot of work for 5 marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by natalie987
Not too bad other than the lagrange question which I only realised how to do at the end so ran out of time but the rest was ok i think

Good good, the weird question was on the midpoint trapezium rule estimates. I was unsure about that and there's probably many ways that people did it that are all quite valid...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was forward difference wasn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Genty Boy
Good good, the weird question was on the midpoint trapezium rule estimates. I was unsure about that and there's probably many ways that people did it that are all quite valid...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Simpsons for the first integral (between 0 and 0.2 ) and mid-point for the second (between 0 and 0.6) then added them together,

But I also tried to interpolate everything with a lagrange polynomial (since 4 points were provided) and integrated it between 0 and 0.6.
I did Simpsons for the first integral (between 0 and 0.2 ) and mid-point for the second (between 0 and 0.6) then added them together,

But I also tried to interpolate everything with a lagrange polynomial (since 4 points were provided) and integrated it between 0 and 0.6.

Yet again, another dodgy midpoint/trapezium/Simpson question on a NM paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending