The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mynameissecret
Unpopular opinion....
Just wanna point out that Huawei are owned by the Chinese government and one of the dodgiest companies regarding their prices... just saying 🤷🏼*♀️

IMO, you can’t go wrong with a good old iPhone 6/7 (my personal choice) but Samsung’s come a close second, I just can seem to get along with them (although I’m rather partial to an iPhone XR :u:

For all the uproar surrounding Huawei, I've not seen enough to suggest their smartphone division a larger threat to average consumers than the data harvesting undertaken by companies like FaceBook and Google. Their infrastructure division is another matter, but I don't think Joe Bloggs has anything to worry about when it comes to buying their next phone from them unless they're importing a handset directly from China. I'm also not entirely sure what you're referring to their dodgy prices.
Why take the risk though?
Have you heard of 5g? There’re charging less for it than it costs them!
Why take the risk though?

Because they make excellent phones and preemptively dismissing any product over speculative concerns is an overcautious move?

Have you heard of 5g? There’re charging less for it than it costs them!

Like I said, their infrastructure business is a whole other matter.
Thank you for putting this together, Gofre. I hope to buy a new—preferably up to date—smartphone as soon as I have the financial means to do so (such smartphones are not cheap, after all), and I’m sure I’ll use this guide to aid in my decision-making.

Out of the flagship smartphones which have been shortlisted, the Samsung definitely piques my interest the most. Do you know if they’ve improved the position of the fingerprint sensor on this model, though? This was (I think?) a major criticism that you had with the Samsung Galaxy 8 that you reviewed on here before this recent update, wasn’t it?
Original post by You Reeker
Thank you for putting this together, Gofre. I hope to buy a new—preferably up to date—smartphone as soon as I have the financial means to do so (such smartphones are not cheap, after all), and I’m sure I’ll use this guide to aid in my decision-making.

Out of the flagship smartphones which have been shortlisted, the Samsung definitely piques my interest the most. Do you know if they’ve improved the position of the fingerprint sensor on this model, though? This was (I think?) a major criticism that you had with the Samsung Galaxy 8 that you reviewed on here before this recent update, wasn’t it?

Yes, thankfully they moved the sensor from the side of the camera (which made it very easy to smudge as you reached across) to the traditional spot underneath the camera :yy:
Keep telling yourself that :mmm:
Keep telling yourself that :mmm:

And you keep telling yourself you're a mindful consumer while continuing to use Facebook and Google services :h:
1. I don’t use facebook :fight:
2. Try telling me you don’t use google services! And then tell me that you want to INCREASE your risk by using Huawei
Well a lot of my budget categories have been completely ruined by price changes, I was hoping I'd left the guide later enough to avoid the influence of Black Friday on pricing but now I'm going to need to rethink some things! New phones for the Under £100 and £100-£200 categories incoming, and the Honor 8X will be retired now that it's within a tenner of generally superior Honor Play.
Reply 189
How is the XS Max? Thinking of buying it outright the next couple of days....

Better choice than the smaller XS? Also is the battery because thats one of the reasons I want it.
Original post by 3mmz
How is the XS Max? Thinking of buying it outright the next couple of days....

Better choice than the smaller XS? Also is the battery because thats one of the reasons I want it.

If you really want an iPhone, the XS Max is the best iPhone ever made. If you don't want an iPhone specifically, odds are there are Android phones that I would recommend over it for their additional features, better battery life, and less restrictive software and interface.

The XS and XS Max are essentially identical phones with the only difference being screen size and battery size. But the bigger screen uses more power and offsets most of the advantage, so while it does technically last longer the practical difference between the two is relatively low, something like an extra hour of screen-on time for video or internet usage. I personally think the big display is enough to justify it, but go with whichever size you find more comfortable to use.
Reply 191
What android phone would you recommend?
Better life and good screen are the two things i most care about
Original post by 3mmz
What android phone would you recommend?
Better life and good screen are the two things i most care about

The Honor Mate 20 Pro or Galaxy Note 9 would be my recommendation, with both having gorgeous screens and enormous batteries that last well over a full day of normal use.
Reply 193
I think I am going to go for the XS max because I am used to the apple eco system, have apple airpods and apple music,

Now need to debate if i should get 64gb model or 256gb.
I stream my music using apple music, so 64gb should be enough right?
Original post by 3mmz
I think I am going to go for the XS max because I am used to the apple eco system, have apple airpods and apple music,

Now need to debate if i should get 64gb model or 256gb.
I stream my music using apple music, so 64gb should be enough right?

Apple Music is available on Android, and you could instead get a 128GB Galaxy Note 9 or Mate 20 Pro, as well as a pair of much better sounding wireless earbuds, for less than the price of a 64GB XS Max. But if you do just want to go down the iPhone route, 64GB will be fine if you don't plan on an storing extensive media library.
Reply 195
What wireless earbuds would you recommend to use with the Note 9 or Mate 20 Pro?

If you were me would you get the Note 9 or the XS Max?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 197
Do they work with the iphone? or are they better paired with android?
Original post by 3mmz
Do they work with the iphone? or are they better paired with android?

No they'll work with either just fine.
Reply 199
Hmmm have you used them? Reason I ask I bought the airpods the other day but havent opened them. I could return the airpods and get these if theyre much better?

Latest

Trending

Trending