The Student Room Group

iPhone 14 vs Google Pixel 8?

Hi everyone

Ok so my birthday is next week and my mom and sister are going half on treating me to a new phone as I seriously need a new one.

They were going to get me the iPhone 14 as I've always wanted an iPhone and I've always been told that iPhones are the most secure to have which is the main reason I want one.

However my sister has shown me the pixel 8 ( she owns the pixel 7) as she said it's as good as an iPhone and would be more suitable since I've never had an iPhone before and I'm used to android ( my current phone is a budget moto) and she thinks as I'm autistic and hate change an iPhone will drive me nuts. And I use a lot of Google such as Gmail , Google maps ect and my biggest use of my phone is camera even though my current one is crap so she said the Google pixel has a hugely impressive camera compared to my current phone and is just as good as an iPhone. She also said apple is not as secure nowadays anyway.

I wanted any tech experts advice here my only reason for wanting an iPhone is security are they more secure than android or is the Google pixel pretty secure too?

My main uses of my phone are:

Texting
Calls
Social media
Shopping online
Watching YouTube videos
Taking photos
Checking emails

Looking forward to hearing from you all as I agree with my sister the pixel 8 does suit what I want more but just thinking on if Apple really are more secure.

I've also read that pixels phones have issues with becoming hot when charging or even doing minor tasks?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Anyone??????
Get a something like a Motorola G53 for £140. It will do everything that you need.
For a better tool for emails, online shopping and youtube get a used, fully working, premium business laptop such as a Dell 7400 or HP 840 G6 for about £170.
For a better tool for taking photos get a used Canon on Nikon DSLR for whatever's left of your budget.

Bearing in mind how easily phones are lost, stolen, damaged, it makes no sense to spend more than £140 on one. Especially when you consider how good phones like the Motorola G53 at £140 is.

Phone companies are very good at marketing. And getting people to lust over the very highest specification phones.
It's down to you. You can make an emotional buying decision. Or a logical one.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Get a something like a Motorola G53 for £140. It will do everything that you need.
For a better tool for emails, online shopping and youtube get a used, fully working, premium business laptop such as a Dell 7400 or HP 840 G6 for about £170.
For a better tool for taking photos get a used Canon on Nikon DSLR for whatever's left of your budget.

Bearing in mind how easily phones are lost, stolen, damaged, it makes no sense to spend more than £140 on one. Especially when you consider how good phones like the Motorola G53 at £140 is.

Phone companies are very good at marketing. And getting people to lust over the very highest specification phones.
It's down to you. You can make an emotional buying decision. Or a logical one.

OP already has a budget Moto and looking between getting the iPhone 14 or Pixel 8.

I’ve never owned a Pixel but I can say that iPhones have decent durability if you treat them well.
Reply 4
Original post by Talkative Toad
OP already has a budget Moto and looking between getting the iPhone 14 or Pixel 8.

I’ve never owned a Pixel but I can say that iPhones have decent durability if you treat them well.

Thank yes as you say I'm already between 2 phones and I'm still making a logical decision.

And I already have a budget moto and I hate it and it cost over £140 when I brought it.

After several video reviews and reading reviews on other sites both tech experts and real owners I've decided on the iPhone 15 between the two

Indeed LifeisGolden does have a budget Moto.
We don't know what model. And whether it has any faults, such as a cracked screen or kaput battery.
We don't know if LifeisGolden owns a decent laptop. Or a DSLR or mirrorless camera.

The original post did ask for advice for tech experts.

The internet is full of advertorial content on tech items. Making most of the buying advice on there poor to mediocre.

Ideally, LifeisGolden would borrow an iphone15 and a G53 (or similar phone) for a month and then decide if the Apple was really worth the money, and the shorter battery life. Especially compared to what else could be bought for the £600 price difference.
Reply 6
We don't know what model. And whether it has any faults, such as a cracked screen or kaput battery.
We don't know if LifeisGolden owns a decent laptop. Or a DSLR or mirrorless camera.

The internet is full of advertorial content on tech items. Making most of the buying advice on there poor to mediocre.

Ideally, LifeisGolden would borrow an iphone15 and a G53 (or similar phone) for a month and then decide if the Apple was really worth the money, and the shorter battery life. Especially compared to what else could be bought for the £600 price difference.

My current is a moto g50 and it was ok for the first year then for the past year it's been slow and the battery has never lasted long and Im not a heavy user either. My battery has always lasted half a day before needing to charge it which is considerably less than what was advertised by moto and this is my second moto phone that has had a short battery.

I have had my phone looked at by experts who say it's running fine and I'm just unlucky with the battery. It really does come down to our own personal experience as most of my family have iPhones and they've never complained about battery. The only person I can think of would be my aunt who had a Samsung which a rubbish battery and she switched back to iPhone and she's never had issues since so depends on our experiences

Yeah but getting another budget moto wouldn’t be an upgrade and the OP is specifically asking about the pixel 8 vs iPhone 14 but it looks like they got the iPhone 15 now.

Original post by LifeisGolden
Thank yes as you say I'm already between 2 phones and I'm still making a logical decision.

And I already have a budget moto and I hate it and it cost over £140 when I brought it.

After several video reviews and reading reviews on other sites both tech experts and real owners I've decided on the iPhone 15 between the two

That’s fair, there was also the iPhone 13 Pro Max (in terms of value for money and battery life) but I can’t find stores that sell that phone new.

I hope that you enjoy your iPhone 15 then plus the 15 has USB-C now (only because of pressure from the EU but let’s not talk about that) which is good.

What colour did you get :colondollar:?

The Operating System might take time to getting used to but it should hopefully be simple enough to use fingers crossed 🤞🏾.
Reply 8
Yeah but getting another budget moto wouldn’t be an upgrade and the OP is specifically asking about the pixel 8 vs iPhone 14 but it looks like they got the iPhone 15 now.

That’s fair, there was also the iPhone 13 Pro Max (in terms of value for money and battery life) but I can’t find stores that sell that phone new.

I hope that you enjoy your iPhone 15 then plus the 15 has USB-C now (only because of pressure from the EU but let’s not talk about that) which is good.

What colour did you get :colondollar:?

The Operating System might take time to getting used to but it should hopefully be simple enough to use fingers crossed 🤞🏾.

I was going to go for the 14 but mom said they can afford the 15 too and when I found out the 15 had the USB-C port I was sold.

I've gone for pink I normally hate pink as I'm not overly girly and tend to choose white phones if I can ( current is aqua blue and I hate it) but it's a nice pink it's more blush pink which I like.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by LifeisGolden
I was going to for the 14 but mom said they can afford the 15 too and when I found out the 15 had the USB-C port I was sold.

I've gone for pink I normally hate pink as I'm not overly girly and tend to choose white phones if I can ( current is aqua blue and I hate it) but it's a nice pink it's more blush pink which I like.

Pink is the best colour in the world :tongue:. That’s nice then, hopefully you’ll enjoy the phone and if not, worse case scenario you can hopefully return it and get the pixel 8.
Reply 10
I am a huge fan of iphones, so my answer is obvious

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending