The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks, fixed :yy:

If I was choosing a phone for myself, it would be the Ultra. It's just better overall for everything besides note taking, and I'm always a fan of bigger screens. It is an excellent phone and would make the guide if it wasn't so ludicrously expensive.
Yeah if it had got the 865 Plus here, I could maybe have justified adding it into the guide given the camera improvements. As it stands though, it's just too expensive relative to the OnePlus 8 Pro it's competing with.
Currently debating a "best of the rest" category just to highlight certain phones that don't fit very well into other categories but still deserve a mention for doing something worthwhile and interesting :holmes: Current options being considered are the Fairphone 3+ for ethical and environmentally-conscious shoppers, and the Galaxy Z Fold 2 for just being nuts and arguably the first fully realised folding phone without significant compromises, for anyone who wants to throw an entire maintenance loan check out the window.
An unexpected mini-update, but a purchase warning is being added to the Redmi Note 9 Pro after Xiaomi announced the Poco X3. A very similar overall package but with a few key upgrades and a £199 RRP so I don't have to keep changing the Amazon URL every few days. If you're after a £200 phone, this is the new obvious choice. It comes out in a couple of weeks, so if you're planning to spend more than the £120 a Redmi Note 8T costs but less than the £250+ for a Pixel 3A or entry level 5G handset, this is absolutely worth waiting for.

I'll also be adding purchase warnings to the iPhones too, now that we're close enough to the release window.
(edited 3 years ago)
I timed that well, Apple have announced their next event for Sept 15th.
Urgh.

$1,400 is just baffling to me when the Galaxy Z Flip 5G exists for $1450. If they launched first and were caught offguard it would be understandable, but has nobody at Motorola seen that phone exists? Higher resolution display, Snapdragon 865+ vs 765G, double the storage and more RAM, wifi 6, a larger battery, no notch and no chin. This thing has a larger exterior screen and maybe a millimetre or so of extra pocket space when folded. This is a vastly inferior phone, and they're priced within $50 of each other. After this was all said last year, I really don't get how they've decided to repeat it all over again.
If I was a betting man, I'd guess that Motorola simply cannot manufacture these as cheaply as Samsung who have probably put in bucketloads more R&D over a longer time and brought the cost down, but that doesn't take away from how poor the value prospect is for the end user. I think their mistake was opting to cheap out on the components and deliver it as cheaply as possible, rather than spending the extra to make it a compelling overall product. There are people who will overlook a certain price/performance disparity for design or nostalgia, and when it's $1000+ either way then I think they'd rather a more well rounded product for a bit more money.
Yeah it sucks to see how little they iterated with only a marginal price drop. I'm happy they gave it another crack and didn't just leave it to Samsung, we need constant refinement and innovation from multiple companies if we're ever going to see them enter the mainstream as practical and attainable products. But this phone really does feel like too little, too late, for too much money. Fingers crossed that next year they stop hamstringing themselves with the novelty of replicating the original Razr design and just build a solid foldable from the ground up.
Purchase warnings have been added to the Pixel 3A/XL now that Google have formally opened preorders ahead of an October 1st launch. When they are released, the Pixel 3a XL will be replaced by the 4a in the £300-£400 category while the 3a will stick around for as long as stock remains available under £300, as the gap is large enough to justify including.

Motorola have also gone official with the G9 Plus and G9 Play, neither of which will see an inclusion now that the Poco X3 exists. Fingers crossed someone like EE will end up selling the G9 Plus at an aggressively low price, as it would take my recommendation for under £150 if it does.
The Moto G8 Plus has finally been discontinued by EE, frankly I'm not sure why they sold it so cheap for so long in the first place. That leaves the Note 8T as the de-facto option for under 150 once again.
Possibly, but it's been that cheap for several months, including going out of stock at least twice only to be restocked.
Looks great. I wish Sony had gone all-in on another Compact model just because I need a new sub-6" flagship to replace the S10e with in the Small phone category, but it looks like a really solid phone with little in the way of compromises beyond wireless charging.
I hope you enjoy! It's getting added to the guide properly this weekend :yep:
Yeah it's already a cracking deal at RRP, £179 is a no brainer!
Haven't had a chance to look over it properly yet, but from the skimmed view I've seen its generally less compelling than the OnePlus 8, never mind the 8T that's just over the horizon. I'll have an actual verdict a little later, when I actually add the Poco to the guide.
Guide has been updated ahead of a likely more substantive update in October when the new Pixels launch. The only change this time is the addition of the Poco X3 NFC, which has set a new bar for £200 phones to put it mildly.

Right, I've had a proper look at it. I like it more than I liked the core S20 series or Note line when they launched, but that's a low bar. It would be a nice option if the aformentioned OnePlus 8/8T didn't exist, and if they scrapped the 4G model and started the 5G model at that £599 price point instead. The 5G model at that price would have been a fairly even match, with the same processor (there's apparently no regional models so all 5G versions get the 865 rather than Exynos, thank Christ), a high refresh rate display, large battery and generally similar specs, with the OP8/8T winning on charge speed and build materials while the S20 FE likely winning on camera quality and extras like expandable storage and headphone jack. Unfortunately at £699 it occupies a no-man's land between the extremely similar 8/8T for £100 cheaper while the substantially better 8 Pro exists £100 in the opposite direction.

The 4G model is a waste of time. Same price as the 8/8T but a weaker Exynos processor with the 5G modem stripped off, you'd only really opt for the Samsung for the camera and the promise of better updates, at which point I'd sooner direct people to the far cheaper Pixel 3a/4a models with even better cameras.
(edited 3 years ago)
Looks good :yy:
Pixel 5 has been announced, thoughts?

Spoiler

Original post by bIuewolf2l
Pixel 5 has been announced, thoughts?

Spoiler

Yeah get yourself gone mate, a clean break is always best :ahee:

The camera is going to need to be really good to justify such mediocre hardware for £599. It's basically on par with the OnePlus Nord for £250 extra. Google have always struggled to stay relevant in the flagship space so I can understand that they'd want to move into midrange territory, but they've already done that with the A series and they've done tremendously well (almost as if moving away from the Nexus model in the first place was a stupid idea). So they've painted themselves into a corner where they want to go cheaper, still want to offer more (and charge more) than their fairly competitive midrange offerings, and they've ended up offering not much more value for far too much money.

With that said, if they can offer an improvement in camera quality over the 4/4a it will obviously take its place in the Camera category, and it may also unseat the S10e as my top recommendation for small Android devices. I'll wait for the reviews in both cases.

Latest

Trending

Trending