The Student Room Group

Christopher Lee dies aged 93

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbdulKoyes
Piss off. Your negativity isn't wanted here

People will disagree with you, child. Deal with it.
Original post by callum_law
Oh so because he killed people's fathers, husbands, brothers and sons he should be celebrated. I see what you mean.

Not what I said now was it. Simply put, he was a legend - a stupendous actor with a remarkable life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
People will disagree with you, child. Deal with it.

This thread is a tribute to a wonderful actor who has very recently passed away. If you want to tarnish his name and start an argument, simply start a new thread and go for it. Btw, your attempts to undermine me by calling me child, despite me being an adult, is laughable.

P.S. I too like Steven Seagal, but he is in no way a 'good' or 'great' actor
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not what I said now was it. Simply put, he was a legend - a stupendous actor with a remarkable life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's what you implied. I think we should also take the time out of the day to celebrate all those people who never returned home to their families because he killed them, as well of the death of this actor. That moment's silence can start now, if you'd like.
Original post by AbdulKoyes
This thread is a tribute to a wonderful actor who has very recently passed away. If you want to tarnish his name and start an argument, simply start a new thread and go for it. Btw, your attempts to undermine me by calling me child, despite me being an adult, is laughable.

P.S. I too like Steven Seagal, but he is in no way a 'good' or 'great' actor

Why wait? I am making a serious point about celebrating someone who self-admittedly signed up to kill people in war and indeed did do so, and also got roles in movies because of his war-time escapades. You might disagree, but you have to deal with that. I called you a child because the attitude you have is childish (i.e. telling someone to piss off because you don't like the truth they are telling).

I think it's quite good, but I meant in terms of fame and relevance. Seagal is very famous but also relevant in the world of MMA where he trains people to engage in a high-calibre sport, athletes such as Machida and Anderson Silva.
Reply 25
Not a very good actor, RIP nonetheless.
It's what you implied. I think we should also take the time out of the day to celebrate all those people who never returned home to their families because he killed them, as well of the death of this actor. That moment's silence can start now, if you'd like.

No it's not. I didn't imply that he was great because he killed people, you inferred that. He was a remarkable person, in part because he was essentially a real life bond. He was a fantastic actor, and you do him a disservice with how you describe him (not to mention being more wrong than humanly possible)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's not. I didn't imply that he was great because he killed people, you inferred that. He was a remarkable person, in part because he was essentially a real life bond. He was a fantastic actor, and you do him a disservice with how you describe him (not to mention being more wrong than humanly possible)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mentioned his service in the precursor of the SAS when trying to explain why he should be celebrated. How on earth is that not implying that his killing is not something to be celebrated? Is killing not an implicit part of being in the SAS or its precursor?
Reply 28
Sir Christopher Lee - it has been a pleasure to see you on screen.
You mentioned his service in the precursor of the SAS when trying to explain why he should be celebrated. How on earth is that not implying that his killing is not something to be celebrated? Is killing not an implicit part of being in the SAS or its precursor?

No, I said that his stint in the Special Operations was what inspired James Bond. He was a fantastic actor, I would say the greatest British actor of the 20th Century and the inspiration for one of the most iconic cinema characters: he was an absolute legend. You can disagree if you want, but you're wrong: not a matter of opinion, factually wrong.
Reply 30
No, I said that his stint in the Special Operations was what inspired James Bond. He was a fantastic actor, I would say the greatest British actor of the 20th Century and the inspiration for one of the most iconic cinema characters: he was an absolute legend. You can disagree if you want, but you're wrong: not a matter of opinion, factually wrong.

I'll always prefer his work with Hammer over the James Bond, LOTR and Star Wars stuff, but what a varied and storied career he had.
Original post by Mackay
I'll always prefer his work with Hammer over the James Bond, LOTR and Star Wars stuff, but what a varied and storied career he had.

Aye, his time with Hammer coincided with some of the greatest horror movies made, particularly his spell as Dracula. For me, the best work he did was his music: heavy metal concept albums about Charlemagne. I think he's also the only actor to play both Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes...
Reply 32
I think he's also the only actor to play both Sherlock and Mycroft Holmes...

He sure is. I wouldn't mind seeing Gatiss portray Sherlock, though.

I am factually wrong in saying that being a killer isn't something to be celebrated? OK.
Original post by Mackay
He sure is. I wouldn't mind seeing Gatiss portray Sherlock, though.

I'm not sure about that tbh, Gatiss seems a bit too dark to play Sherlock: I've always seen him as cheery, if incredibly aloof.

I am factually wrong in saying that being a killer isn't something to be celebrated? OK.

Again, not what I said. Try harder next time.
Again, not what I said. Try harder next time.

You implied it.

Like I said, let's celebrate the lives of the people he killed on this special day. The lives he ended prematurely.
You implied it.

No I didn't, what I said there was that you were wrong if you don't consider him a legend. As for the whole killing people, I never said he should be respected for killing people, if you'd actually read what I said, you'd see that what I said was that he was the inspiration for one of the most iconic british cinema characters of all time in Bond.

Between him and Cushing they marked Britains dominance of horror movies, but beyond that he starred in a wide variety of genres from fantasy and sci-fi (LOTR, Star Wars) through to period dramas like Return of the Musketeers. He's played Sherlock, Mycroft Holmes, Dracula, Fu Manchu, Saruman, Count Dooku, Rasputin, Lord Summerisle, Death, and produced a series of metal albums while in his 90s. He was an absolutely oustanding actor, and his loss is a massive loss from the world of film - to describe him as anything other than a legend is an injustice to his career.
His performance in LOTR was brilliant. And don't forget the guy who played fagin, he's died as well. :frown:
RIP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending