The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Benefit payments should be in the form of meals, not money

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by scrotgrot
you would not have been subject to stringent conditionality and would not have experienced the worst of it.

This is very true.
If 100% of it is turned into a combination of GDP and tax, the taxpayer recoups the whole cost.

Not directly.

No it's not, because the £50k household (who are more than likely on child benefits, state education, state healthcare and so on) will save it. Savings are invested by the banks, but it is under-investment compared to spending, because there is no guarantee the banks will invest it in the UK economy.

"will save it"

And you just called me economically illiterate? Savings in an average household as a proportion of income are around 4% - 5%, and haven't been above 20% since the late 50s.

Yeah, nice drivel.

No idea why you are saying that about tax: it seems irrelevant.

Because most people don't want their tax spent on excessive luxuries of other people.
Original post by SotonianOne
I specifically referred to high-end phones.

The Government/taxpayers aren't there to fund comfort.

How "cheap"? Anything requiring more than 15 pounds p/m is not cheap. Otherwise people on benefits who use food banks shouldn't moan they can't afford food.

How is public transport unreliable or inconvenient? It does the same thing as a car. If there's congestion, you're stuck if you're in a car or a bus or a taxi. Not much of a difference. In terms of public transport not being on time, "leave earlier" has never ceased to be advice.

Yes but we're getting into extraordinarily small amount of jobs right now. Not many jobs need personal vehicles at all, other than small business delivery jobs I can't think of many. Should the government fund lorries or vans to people? They're too expensive.

When a business goes insolvent, it sells assets. Phones and vehicles are assets, and shouldn't be any different for people.

Disagree.

A lot of phones are on contracts - you pay a certain amount a month and you can't just stop it mid-contract if, for example, you become unemployed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure it costs money to get out of a contract like that.

Public transport is unreliable because it can sometimes be late, it doesn't always go at a time suitable for me, and it doesn't always go where I want/need to be (my dad's workplace is far from any bus route). It is far far easier to use a car, and for me not that much more expensive.

A lot of jobs require you to have your own transport. And even for the ones that don't technically require it, not having it can still be a disadvantage. If you have to take several buses, you are at a disadvantage if other applicants have cars or live closer - the employer will look at you and think you are possibly less reliable and more likely to be late to work.

And if I sell my car if I become unemployed, it could end up costing me more to buy another car when I manage to find a job again. So it would be much easier and probably more cost effective to just keep my original car.

The whole idea of restricting what benefit claimants should be allowed to buy is just unworkable and unncessary.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I find it a nice comfort when I see your posts on threads such as this. I feel less obliged to anger myself through responding when I'm really not in the mood because I know you've got it covered.

(I just wish you weren't so anti-feminist :tongue:)

Urgh, please do respond too! I feel very lonely against these hordes of trolls. I was quite surprised to receive a five upvotes in five minutes, I just wish they (with the exception of the lovely Sophie) had taken the time to help me tear these people a new *******.

Fyi - because I'm sure everyone's aching to know all about me - I've become a bit less reactionary about my anti-feminism though I still could never call myself a feminist :p:
By using a newspaper, a cheap phone or a friend's internet device.

and then being contacted back?

By using a brain.

Because that helps how? What about those in rural areas, with an absent or entirely unsufficient public transport network - how do they get anywhere?

By washing yourself. Primark hardly costs 2500 for socks, shoes, underwear, pants and a shirt to look like a human.

I take it you've never been to an interview then? appearances count for a lot, you need to be smart, not just stomachable.

Use a taxi. Costs less in the long run than the full up-keep of a motor vehicle.

Entirely false. Taxi fares are exorbitant compared to running a car for the same journey and if you have to use them regularly then it will cost far more.
Original post by RFowler
A lot of phones are on contracts - you pay a certain amount a month and you can't just stop it mid-contract if, for example, you become unemployed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure it costs money to get out of a contract like that.

Doesn't exactly cost a million to legislate against that, just costs time.

Original post by RFowler
The whole idea of restricting what benefit claimants should be allowed to buy is just unworkable and unncessary.

It's never been tried, therefore not unworkable. And very necessary - to prevent abuse.
Original post by RFowler

Public transport is unreliable because it can sometimes be late, it doesn't always go at a time suitable for me, and it doesn't always go where I want/need to be (my dad's workplace is far from any bus route). It is far far easier to use a car, and for me not that much more expensive.

A lot of jobs require you to have your own transport. And even for the ones that don't technically require it, not having it can still be a disadvantage. If you have to take several buses, you are at a disadvantage if other applicants have cars or live closer - the employer will look at you and think you are possibly less reliable and more likely to be late to work.

And if I sell my car if I become unemployed, it could end up costing me more to buy another car when I manage to find a job again. So it would be much easier and probably more cost effective to just keep my original car.

Public transport is a lottery. It depends on the county you live in. I used to live in Manchester and public transport there was pretty good. Compared to where i live at the moment transport is absolute crap. Public transport needs to be improved across the uk and not just in London and Greater Manchester. Some PTEs really need a foot up their arse. It annoys me to hell that just because of the hometown i'm forced to go back to due to financial reasons i'm crippled because of public transport. Where i used to live there was no need to use a car.

Mobile phone contracts i hear you on. Those things are a huge waste. I'm going on a rolling contract when this one is up in a few months. I don't need the latest tech marvel anyway. Most phones can run Whatsapp and text.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Doesn't exactly cost a million to legislate against that, just costs time.

It's never been tried, therefore not unworkable. And very necessary - to prevent abuse.

It's unnecessary because abuse of the system makes up a fraction of a percent of all claims; you'd spend more money going after them by tightening these loops than you would actually get back, not to mention you'd condemn a lot of people to being stuck on benefits for life by limiting the spending so that they can't buy the things they need (e.g. transport, a set of contact details, a suit) to get out.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
and then being contacted back?

Telling the potential employer you've used a newspaper and you currently do not possess a phone and asking for a re-visit date, or using the other two options again.

Because that helps how? What about those in rural areas, with an absent or entirely unsufficient public transport network - how do they get anywhere?

People living in rural areas should be given priority with housing benefit in urban areas, firstly. Living in rural areas in the 21st century is nothing but detrimental and costly.

I've mentioned earlier that those type of people should have fuel allowances and I didn't exclude taxis. Then again, why are we assuming that people who are unemployed all have social anxiety and no friends and therefore can't be transported anywhere by people they know?

I take it you've never been to an interview then? appearances count for a lot, you need to be smart, not just stomachable.

You do not need to wear a suit to every job interview and several cheap clothes are pass-able as smart. A 50 pound one-off payment for job interview clothes is enough for a decade.

Entirely false. Taxi fares are exorbitant compared to running a car for the same journey and if you have to use them regularly then it will cost far more.

Why would you use a taxi "regularly"? Read the quote again, that had nothing to do with shopping or going to job interviews.

Or the government could do something useful like legislate against international corporations abusing the system to get out of paying taxes. That'd solve a massive chunk of the governments financial problems right there but why do that when you can demonize poor people.
The problem is that there is no problem. Benefits abuse is a non-issue, but politicians act like it is because "cracking down on scroungers" is a popular policy.
Student finance payments should be in the form of meals, not money

I suppose you agree with this ^ concept too?! As most people won't pay back their loan it's the same argument!

They have a token scheme in Australia and there is a HUGE black market for alcohol etc in exchange for tokens.
Lmao is your daddy David Cameron?
Telling the potential employer you've used a newspaper and you currently do not possess a phone and asking for a re-visit date, or using the other two options again.

And of course that won't present any negatives to the employer :rolleyes:

People living in rural areas should be given priority with housing benefit in urban areas, firstly. Living in rural areas in the 21st century is nothing but detrimental and costly.

I've mentioned earlier that those type of people should have fuel allowances and I didn't exclude taxis. Then again, why are we assuming that people who are unemployed all have social anxiety and no friends and therefore can't be transported anywhere by people they know?

So, forcibly relocate people because they've become unemployed? Because that's obviously not ridiculous.

We're not, but it is completely unreasonable to expect that everyone has a friend that a) can drive, b) is available to ferry them around and c) can afford to operate as a taxi service for friends

You do not need to wear a suit to every job interview and several cheap clothes are pass-able as smart. A 50 pound one-off payment for job interview clothes is enough for a decade.

You need to be presentable - that means shirt, tie, black trousers, black smart shoes; which cost money, you turn up in your primark jeans and shirt with a set of trainers and you're getting nowhere.

Why would you use a taxi "regularly"? Read the quote again, that had nothing to do with shopping or going to job interviews.

The quote referred to getting around in general and the bloated, unreliable mess that is public transport - if you commute anywhere even semi-regularly, running a car works out as cheaper.
That's because they're pretty useless - I was in there last Monday talking to them about the possibility of work experience and a placement in a local chemistry lab (i'm stuck in that lovely catch 22 of can't get a job because I've got no industrial experience) and got told to contact the NHS - I explained that the NHS is biomedical, not chemistry, it's a completely different science and contacting them would be completely useless, and asked whether they had details of local labs - and was just told to contact the NHS again. They don't listen, they don't help - it's turn up, get asked why you haven't found work yet, get told to go away: as yet they've given me no constructive help whatsoever.

Can't disagree there.
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
That is not true to some extent. I'm fairly certain employers would be willing to hire people to do basic jobs (as long as they aren't like screwing everything up) for 2-4 pounds/hour but the question is are people willing to work for that low?

no because the benefits system pushes the wages up, since employers will be expected to pay more to people who do actually work, otherwise people would actually earn more being on benefits than working.

That you make an interesting point, but like I said before in the current situation a lot of employers don't pay enough to live on (hence the living wage movement).

The point is that people can't just earn 2 or 3 pounds an hour. It's not livable. Such is the value of the pound. Wages are linked to the prices of goods and services far more than they are to the the benefit level. So those on very low incomes are assisted by the state.

Ur original point was about incentives. Incentives work both ways. Having no money at all will incentivise people to work (those who can) but a higher wage available also incentivises. (and is more humane)

So ur argument should really be with the minimum wage (from those 2 paragraphs), that's what sustains the lowest wages at the level they are, not the value of benefit payments. I would be more than happy to have a discussion with you about that - as it's a howl section in my economics spec.
Not directly.

"will save it"

And you just called me economically illiterate? Savings in an average household as a proportion of income are around 4% - 5%, and haven't been above 20% since the late 50s.

Yeah, nice drivel.

Because most people don't want their tax spent on excessive luxuries of other people.

Who cares if it is recouped indirectly? Either the account balances within the country or it does not. Right-wingers, after all, are the ones who believe in trickle-down, who say it doesn't matter where the money ends up as long as it's in the economy. Right-wingers are the ones who believe increased GDP automatically translates into more jobs and so forth.

The only cost I can think of that has gone up fast enough to explain that is housing (though I'm sure you'll find some way to blame it on people becoming more profligate, or benefit claimants taking all the money, or something). If we had a proper economy rather than one based on selling the same houses to each other over and over again at vastly inflated prices, I imagine not so much demand would be sucked out of the consumer economy and families of modest means could save more.

Since I don't really consider mortgages (and by extension rent) part of the real economy, throwing more money at them is still under-investment compared to a poor person spending benefits income in a local shop/cinema/whatever. At least the local business performs a discernible productive function, works approximately according to the natural laws of supply and demand and creates jobs.

By the way, I hope you know an average household is on £26k not £50k household income, i.e. approx. two full time minimum waged adults.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
I was thinking about whether the government should close to abolish benefits so that the lazy people would finally get a job, by reducing it to the level so people on benefits experience poverty on the level of third world countries; but starving them would be rather inhumane.

not like luxury food, but basic, cheap, good food like an apple/banana/orange and a sandwich for a meal, and you would have to queue at least half an hour to get it plus meet the criteria

i was think this would discourage people to live off benefits without being inhumane to them so you wouldnt suffer from benefits but if you had no money to do anything you would be really bored. And the people that dont actually need the benefits wont go to get it because of the half an hour queue.

Your ignorance is astounding. People in benefits need to pay for rent, bills, for buying clothes and transport. Meals do not pay for these things.

Original post by Reue
Vouchers exchangeable for basic living necessitates.

It will need to be a very flexible voucher system. That flexibility and implementing the system itself as well as mantaining it will cost money. Money that could be put to better use.

Original post by Reue
Why do they need petrol?

Erm...to drive? People who live in small towns use cars because buses are unreliable or non-existent.
Original post by RFowler

Yes, getting out of a contract costs money.

Restricting what those of us on benefits can spend our money on is going to cost a lot of money to implement. And who are you to dictate how much money we should spend on food, etc. per week? You also have the issue of the fact that some people don't live where there are large supermarkets. Within walking distance, I, for example, have a small Sainsburys, Aldi and Lidl. Everywhere else is places like pound shops, etc.

We're not, but it is completely unreasonable to expect that everyone has a friend that a) can drive, b) is available to ferry them around and c) can afford to operate as a taxi service for friends

Indeed. I'm a non-driver and b happens quite frequently and there isn't always public transport to where I need to go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro
Your ignorance is astounding. People in benefits need to pay for rent, bills, for buying clothes and transport. Meals do not pay for these things.

It will need to be a very flexible voucher system. That flexibility and implementing the system itself as well as mantaining it will cost money. Money that could be put to better use.

Erm...to drive? People who live in small towns use cars because buses are unreliable or non-existent.

Then saying that we have the inevitable issue which is the ageing population. These people will need to get around. The ageing baby boomer population is a ticking timebomb. Poor public transport is an issue that seriously needs tackling

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending