The Student Room Group

STEP 1 2015 Solutions Thread

Alright guys, Dom Staff has requested a separate thread for discussing STEP 1 solutions,so I thought I would jump the gun, hope it all went well for everyone and good luck for STEP II and III if you need it :wink:

Q1: Zacken
Q2: Zacken for part iii, solutions should be StrangeBanana
Q3: Krollo
Q4: Gawain for correct final part StrangeBanana
Q5: Zacken
Q6: mikelbird
Q7: Necrofantasia ranges for a and values of M(a) are StrangeBanana
Q8: StrangeBanana

Q9: Krollo
Q10:
Q11: DFranklin

Q12: qwepoizxcmnb
Q13: Necrofantasia

Solutions given for all questions by MathHysteria
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here are my rubbish solution outlines that are worse than the examiners reports since I don't remember the questions themselves
Q2)

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Necrofantasia

Added.
Q7)

Spoiler

Someone is going to come along and post a proper solution. These are just placeholders while we have nothing pretty much.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Q7)

Spoiler

Someone is going to come along and post a proper solution. These are just placeholders while we have nothing pretty much.

I agree, I am sure Shamika and DFranklin will put something up but yes for the mean time.
Reply 5

A much easier way of doing it is to write out the sum of n^k forward and backwards (like the proof for the normal sum of n) beneath one another.

Now since x^k+y^k is divisible by x+k, by adding up the two sums, each term is divisible by n+1. (So 1^k + n^k and 2^k and (n-2)^k are both divisible by n+1).

Now do the same thing but index shift back one to start with 0^k.
Now the sum of each paired term divisible by n (0^k and n^k, 1^k and (n-1)^k )

Since by index shifting we haven't changed the actual sum of n^k we only have to divide by a factor of two to show that the sum of n^k is divisible by (n)(n+1)/2 (or the sum of n).

I'll write it up neatly when I get a hold of the paper but this is a pretty standard technique when considering sums (both the index shift and overlaying the series) although I haven't seen it come up for divisibility questions.

Induction might also be possible but I admit I can't see exactly how.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone have a copy of the paper? Want to work through it during my break :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I agree, I am sure Shamika and DFranklin will put something up but yes for the mean time.

Not if we don't have the paper!

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by shamika
Not if we don't have the paper!

Spoiler

Fair enough, I will just add as others add solutions in and then replace when better/easier to follow ones come along, or just add both.
Here are my rubbish solution outlines that are worse than the examiners reports since I don't remember the questions themselves
Q2)

Spoiler

Ooh interesting, I did it a completely different way not using complex numbers! :smile: Can I post an alt solution later when I've got time?
I like this method though.
Reply 10
Q2

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(iii)

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Q1

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Q2

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(iii)

Spoiler

Original post by Zacken
Q1

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

Added :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Q1

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

Lol the attached thumbnail is awkward
Reply 14
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Lol the attached thumbnail is awkward

It's really annoying, only the first picture seems to upload properly. :tongue:
Reply 15
Q5

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Q2

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

(iii)

Spoiler

Yeah that's pretty much how I did it! :smile: Beat me to it. At least I know I got one right!
Reply 17
I could have a crack at 3 tonight unless anyone's already written it up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
Q5

(i)

Spoiler

(ii)

Spoiler

Added

I was quite disappointed with this tbh. Too well known and is solved in terence tao's solving mathematical problems book so basically a free problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending