The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
I agree with the text speak. Not so sure i agree about the cannabis though.
Reply 181
What are YOU doing to prevent climate change?
Reply 182
Lucia.
I don't. I should have a debate with you. :p:

Lucia. The govt. will never be able to control the cannabis trade. It is far too widespread. Around 80% of my year have done hash. Around 50% at least do it regularly (Lucy, do you agree these figures are right-ish?). Even if they manage to control it (which they won't), users could easily move onto different drugs- enter salvia and whatnot.

Now. Why don't they legalise it, and tax it. It is reasonable to suggest that the number of users will show a negligible difference. Tax=revenue= improved health services and whatnot. It is unlikely all the tax will have to be used to treat cannabis-related illness in the future, so don't throw me that line :p:.
Reply 183
Holly-AT
Lucia. The govt. will never be able to control the cannabis trade. It is far too widespread. Around 80% of my year have done hash. Around 50% at least do it regularly (Lucy, do you agree these figures are right-ish?). Even if they manage to control it (which they won't), users could easily move onto different drugs- enter salvia and whatnot.

Now. Why don't they legalise it, and tax it. It is reasonable to suggest that the number of users will show a negligible difference. Tax=revenue= improved health services and whatnot. It is unlikely all the tax will have to be used to treat cannabis-related illness in the future, so don't throw me that line :p:.

emm probably about 40% use it regularly I think 50 is too much...
Reply 184
hmmm meh I just don't like recreational drugs users - pfft scallies! :p: But people could use it if it helps with an illness.
Reply 185
lucyb-90
emm probably about 40% use it regularly I think 50 is too much...

You go to an interesting school!!
Reply 186
recneps

Illicit drugs are surpisngly common in rural Scotland.

And Lucia; thanks for another reason to back up my motion!

weed on prescription for all!
Reply 187
recneps

Only Holly would know
Reply 188
Holly-AT

A surprising number of my friends take drugs and they think I'm a bit unusual that I don't go along with it. Two of my friends started when they were 12. :eek: And I have seen it's effects. It messes them up.
Reply 189
Lucia.
A surprising number of my friends take drugs and they think I'm a bit unusual that I don't go along with it. Two of my friends started when they were 12. :eek: And I have seen it's effects. It messes them up.

In what way would you say they are messed up?
Reply 190
Holly-AT

And Lucia; thanks for another reason to back up my motion!

weed on prescription for all!

Having seen the effects of drug abuse from a proffessional point of view (when i was working in a pharmacy the last couple of summers) - i have to agree with lucia.
Reply 191
Lucia.

Tbh, I see far more people get themselves in a state from alcohol than illegal drugs.
Reply 192
recneps
Having seen the effects of drug abuse from a proffessional point of view (when i was working in a pharmacy the last couple of summers) - i have to agree with lucia.

I'm not sure if it should be legaised or not but to be fair from studies in Holland (where it's legal) the numbers of people usng it have decreased which is a good thing
Reply 193
lucyb-90
In what way would you say they are messed up?

Mentally. :frown:

And I just don't think cannabis should be legalised with all the problems associated with it. Anyway wouldn't it be a bad thing to encourage drug taking? Just chipping away at society's rules.

Although as I said, for those with MS it can be beneficial.
Reply 194
Also, on a slight tangent, prostitution should be effectively legalised by introducing legitimate brothels, where prostitutes can go about their business in a safe environment. It would be impossible to stop prostitution, and so the government has a responsibility to do their utmost to keep these women safe.
Reply 195
Lucia.
Mentally. :frown:

And I just don't think cannabis should be legalised with all the problems associated with it. Anyway wouldn't it be a bad thing to encourage drug taking? Just chipping away at society's rules.

Although as I said, for those with MS it can be beneficial.

I suppose I just have issues with our society in general, needs to be more liberal.
Reply 196
Holly-AT
Also, on a slight tangent, prostitution should be effectively legalised by introducing legitimate brothels, where prostitutes can go about their business in a safe environment. It would be impossible to stop prostitution, and so the government has a responsibility to do their utmost to keep these women safe.

Indeed. It should be decriminalised.
Reply 197
Holly-AT

Maan you really do love Adrian...
Reply 198
lucyb-90
Maan you really do love Adrian...

Lucy, I held these views before I joined Adrian's class. I suppose I'm partly attracted to him through respect for his beliefs.
Reply 199
Holly-AT
I suppose I just have issues with our society in general, needs to be more liberal.

It should definitely be accepted that the use of cannabis is widespread.

Latest