The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Apollo
Finland hates to (acid)rain on the parade, but the Chinese government has just released a report admitting that they have failed to make any progress in protecting the enviroment. While Finland thanks China for it's openess, we sincerely hope they enact steps to remedy this.

Yes I noticed that and was hoping the bad new had been buried, thanks :mad:

As we have said, our circumstances are considerably more difficult than other countries, but we are committed to improving the environment.
Reply 21
Indonesia like many other countries is concerned about global warming, but we are of the opinion that the group of industrialised nations (specifically G10) should take the lead in investing and supporting "green" programmes. After all, they were the ones who brought about this state of peril today.
Reply 22
Argentina is fully aware of global warming, and feels that steps must be taken to lessen its effects. Although there is no strict evidence that it is happening, we feel that the economic ramifications of doing everything to stop it would be much less damaging than allowing it to happen.
Reply 23
paddy
Argentina is fully aware of global warming, and feels that steps must be taken to lessen its effects. Although there is no strict evidence that it is happening, we feel that the economic ramifications of doing everything to stop it would be much less damaging than allowing it to happen.
Oh it's definitely happening, there is more than enough evidence according to New Zealand scienists :/ For example: "The Tasman Glacier in New Zealand has thinned by more than 100 meters in the past century. Glaciers in New Zealand have shrunk about 26% between 1890 and 1998. Set to shrink even further" [Link: http://www.ecobridge.org/content/g_evd.htm].

But it's great to hear such positive news from Argentina, fantastic nation :smile: I plan to do business there one day, I hope:biggrin:
Reply 24
Global warming is down to the sun. Its about sun cycles, its not a manmade phenemonon.
Many scientists beg to differ.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/01/31/climate-ipcc.html - Just the first link I came across on global warming. I could probably get more with scientists claiming it to be man-made but I think we already know the idea has many supporters.

Personally I think it's a bit of both. Scientists claim that the last century has seen a rapid increase in temperature (relatively speaking) when we compare it to, say, the 14th century. Conveniently the start of the steep correlation pinpoints back to the years of industrialistion. Although this evidence is largely based on guess work.

Nevertheless Italy does not wish to pollute the earth and is reducing its CO2 emissions.
Reply 26
SiAz
Global warming is down to the sun. Its about sun cycles, its not a manmade phenemonon.

Oh, the irony here is just delicious.

Almost all other Siaz posts: It's all the American Govt's fault!

One time America is actually at fault: It's just a sun cycle! Don't blame them!

Gotta love it.

Anyway, I highly doubt that is Iraq's position.
Reply 27
Thankyou Italy (The_Myth Leader) and Finland (Apollo) :smile:
Reply 28
I say we ignore and forget about Global warming. Lets wait tills a catastrophes happens because of global warming. One that kills many people. That will force people to accept that it is real. Right now all we have are empty words. The countries that cause most of the problem aren't willing to accept the blame and don't really care. Those that care have little power or make no impact.
Tibia
I say we ignore and forget about Global warming. Lets wait tills a catastrophes happens because of global warming. One that kills many people. That will force people to accept that it is real.

Well that might just be a tad too late to magically whip out the technology to counteract the disaster, and too late to minimise our destructive and inflammatory impact. What good is it if everybody suddenly wakes up and realises only to be cooked/frozen/suffocated straight afterwards!? :confused:

Fortunately all is not lost. Change is happening; even America is slowly becoming greener. We'll probably see some stronger changes with the next administration!
Reply 30
Tibia
I say we ignore and forget about Global warming. Lets wait tills a catastrophes happens because of global warming. One that kills many people.

Actually, now the transition to the LON is complete.
Reply 31
Craghyrax
Well that might just be a tad too late to magically whip out the technology to counteract the disaster, and too late to minimise our destructive and inflammatory impact. What good is it if everybody suddenly wakes up and realises only to be cooked/frozen/suffocated straight afterwards!? :confused:

Fortunately all is not lost. Change is happening; even America is slowly becoming greener. We'll probably see some stronger changes with the next administration!

It won't be to late because global warming will affect us slowly. Unless the methane gas in Siberia is released. From what i have heard then all is doomed. Either it won't work. People are not willing to give up their comforts. If everyone bought electric cars. Demand for oil will fall so would the price. Which means that it would be cheaper to run gas guzzlers and then we would see an increase in oil demand. Everything we do is full circle.

Unless the biggest polluters are willing to cut down sharply on their CO2 output. It would be a waste of time to tell others to do it.

Apollo
Actually, now the transition to the LON is complete.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.
Reply 32
Yeah well, that whole WW2 thing was a bit of a downer.
Reply 33
Apollo
Yeah well, that whole WW2 thing was a bit of a downer.

It couldn't be helped. If the League knew about Hitler ambition they would have done something about it. What probably seemed liked the unification of Germany until he invaded Poland.
Reply 34
Tibia
I say we ignore and forget about Global warming. Lets wait tills a catastrophes happens because of global warming. One that kills many people. That will force people to accept that it is real. Right now all we have are empty words. The countries that cause most of the problem aren't willing to accept the blame and don't really care. Those that care have little power or make no impact.

Pls be joking.
danni_bella
Pls be joking.

:dito:
Tibia
It won't be to late because global warming will affect us slowly. Unless the methane gas in Siberia is released. From what i have heard then all is doomed. Either it won't work. People are not willing to give up their comforts. If everyone bought electric cars. Demand for oil will fall so would the price. Which means that it would be cheaper to run gas guzzlers and then we would see an increase in oil demand. Everything we do is full circle.

Would you mind rewording that slightly? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Tibia

Unless the biggest polluters are willing to cut down sharply on their CO2 output. It would be a waste of time to tell others to do it.

Nobody's telling the 'others' exclusively to cut down. In any case, how could you not stress the same call for change on everybody alike?
Reply 37
To make it short. To do what is needed to stop global warming. People will have to give up comforts and governments will have to take drastic actions. The most people are willing to do in the west are half arsed attempts which doesn't lead anywhere. Notice the Cod crisis.

We need a tragedy to shock people. Preferably in the west. Hopefully in Texas. Something that is caused by global warming and kills a lot of rednecks. How about a hurricane?
Tibia
To make it short. To do what is needed to stop global warming. People will have to give up comforts and governments will have to take drastic actions. The most people are willing to do in the west are half arsed attempts which doesn't lead anywhere. Notice the Cod crisis.

Agreed.
Tibia

We need a tragedy to shock people. Preferably in the west. Hopefully in Texas. Something that is caused by global warming and kills a lot of rednecks. How about a hurricane?

:rolleyes:

You cannot actually mean you'd be happy for huge numbers of people to die? ^o)
Just because a big shock is needed does not mean that giving up trying to change is a sensible or responsible idea! Who knows if a breakthrough could be attained, and change implemented? We'd forever be guilty of not doing as much as we possibly could if we didn't strive to change while we still had a chance!

Spoiler

Reply 39
You cannot actually mean you'd be happy for huge numbers of people to die?

I was pointing out the cold truth. Texas is Redneck central. It has been a bedrock of Bush/Republican/Evangelic (aka crazy) Christians. It rednecks die people will be upset. Bush and the republicans (the biggest opponents to global warming in USA) will face the cold hard truth. They will do things to stop it happening again. I didn't say I was happy about it. But since their Texans my heart would bleed if something happened to them. If New Jersey is Slough. Texas is Glasgow.

Just because a big shock is needed does not mean that giving up trying to change is a sensible or responsible idea! Who knows if a breakthrough could be attained, and change implemented? We'd forever be guilty of not doing as much as we possibly could if we didn't strive to change while we still had a chance!

Fact 1: Global warming is not a new phenomenon. Scientists knew about this for a long time.
Fact 2: The only time people have ever done something drastic to change their behaviour was when they were either shocked or forced to. Notice the Oil crisis that hit Gas guzzling America.
Fact 3: It will take to long and hard to convince people. Why bother?

[OOC]lol at least he's your ex.[/OOC]

Latest

Trending

Trending