The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think oligodendrocyte precursor cells have a limited capacity to repair the myelin sheath which have undergone Wallerian degeneration.
Reply 21
Photios
I think oligodendrocyte precursor cells have a limited capacity to repair the myelin sheath which have undergone Wallerian degeneration.

Yeah, sounds right to me...

Btw... How is the course going...?
Reply 22
Saltatory conduction only occurs in myelinated neurones and is defined as the "hopping" movement from one Node of ranvier to another. This means that myelinated neurones therefore have a quicker speed and rate of electrical conductivity because the impulse misses out pass of the axon in it's saltatory conduction.

Whereas, the speed of electrical conduction is slower in non-myelinated neurones because the nerve impulse has to propagate all the way down the axon in a wave like motion in what is known as a wave of depolarisation. It can't miss out parts of the axon as occurs in saltatory conduction because there's no myelin sheath (a white fatty substance composed of your Schwann cells) for electrical ( remember to use this adjective when talking about neurones) insulation of charges along the neurone hence the name: non-myelinated neurones.
Reply 23
I'm really interested in neroscience and neurobiology etc. You don't have to do a Medicine degree to have some sort of career or research into it either, do you? You could do Natural Sciences or Biology or something else, yes?
Reply 24
Cosmosophia
I'm really interested in neroscience and neurobiology etc. You don't have to do a Medicine degree to have some sort of career or research into it either, do you? You could do Natural Sciences or Biology or something else, yes?

no idea...
Original post by Wangers
k, can someone clear this up please:

non myelinated conduction - slow because impule is dissipated, without reaching target effectors? (thats what ive always thought)

but the markschemes and stupid notes teacher gave us say - that it is slower then saltatory conduction because saltatory conduction only needs depolarisation at the nodes of Ranvier.

This to me sounds retarded - Surely immpulses have to travel down the length of the nerve cell axon, irrespective of wether it is insulated ot not. And since the nodes do not amplify the amplulse, how does this work??

:Confused: any help appreciated.

Thanks people :biggrin:

Too late to help you but it will help future visitors. The slow simple nerve cell has voltage-gated ion channels all along. But the AP (Action Potential) has to be recreated many many times to move along the axon. Mother nature upgraded some nerve cells like the "white cells" in your brain to have insulators so that the AP can jump or skip along, saving time travelling to the end of axon.

Ironically in diseases like MS if the myelin sheathes degrade, the needed ion channels are not present in the newly exposed areas. The faster cell cannot drop into degraded mode and work slower, it simply fails.

Latest

Trending

Trending