The Student Room Group

MSc Statistics at top university in the UK

Hi guys. I am an international currently doing Mathematics degree at a university in my country (somewhere in SE Asia). I am planning to apply for MSc Statistics next year at the UK.

My choices would be either Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester or Leeds. What is your opinion about the MSc Statistics degree at each of the universities listed?

My current grades in my Maths degree are very good, and I will be getting a first class if I am able to maintain them. I also have to take IELTS since my university is not from an English-majority speaking countries (though my degree are conducted fully in English).

My question is do the admission team from the top universities will accept first-class honours Mathematics degree student from a non top university? (my current university is ranked 251-300 in the QS World ranking)
For postgrad, unis sometimes do take ranking into account. They may be upfront about this, (often on internationally equivalency pages, if not the entry requirements page itself).

However that doesn’t mean you won’t be considered at all.

If you are in any doubt, you can always email them to see if you’d be at any disadvantage and then apply strategically to those where you have the best chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending