The Student Room Group

WJEC S3 22nd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jellyfish96
haha FP3 will defo be lol :frown: do u need maths for your offers?

Yeah I need A* in maths and A* in further maths. As well as STEP haha, how about you?
Original post by Lunox
Yeah I need A* in maths and A* in further maths. As well as STEP haha, how about you?

i need an e in FM lol as i already have an A* in maths which is lucky considering how fp3 went lol :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah should be fine!

Last question was very nice.

Impulse was newer

But yes, that SHM proof, I thought I'd forgotten something major, but I got it all out in the end.

The M3 impulse question was almost identical to a past paper question, the only difference being part a). I was quite surprised actually, because initially I thought that it would be complicated but it literally had the exact same answers as a past paper I'd done the night before haha.
I thought the SHM question was the new one, as I don't think they've given two springs before.
Original post by Luke1324
The M3 impulse question was almost identical to a past paper question, the only difference being part a). I was quite surprised actually, because initially I thought that it would be complicated but it literally had the exact same answers as a past paper I'd done the night before haha.
I thought the SHM question was the new one, as I don't think they've given two springs before.

4 and 4 root3?:tongue: for components

Yeah, it was a nice question tbf, kudos to them. Was very nice how it worked at all points
4 and 4 root3?:tongue: for components

Yeah, it was a nice question tbf, kudos to them. Was very nice how it worked at all points

4's do ring a bell! I thought the differential equation question was nice, and a friend informed me that it was actually the equation for underdamped simple harmonic motion, which explains why the displacement was zero :smile:
4's do ring a bell! I thought the differential equation question was nice, and a friend informed me that it was actually the equation for underdamped simple harmonic motion, which explains why the displacement was zero :smile:

Yep! That's what it was, I thought it would have been nice if they asked what I signified but I don't think it's on the syllabus
Yep! That's what it was, I thought it would have been nice if they asked what I signified but I don't think it's on the syllabus

I think the hardest question on there was definitely the SHM questions. It took me quite a while to show the equilibrium position and that it was SHM, but I got there in the end.
I think the hardest question on there was definitely the SHM questions. It took me quite a while to show the equilibrium position and that it was SHM, but I got there in the end.

It's annoying that the places I'll probably lose marks are the simple variable kinematics with slips.

Not even the hard stuff, at one point I was thinking about energy considerations to find max speed to find amplitude :rofl:

But then it said 'write down' meaning no calculations necessary

Good thing they gave the period or I wouldn't have gotten an answer out
It's annoying that the places I'll probably lose marks are the simple variable kinematics with slips.

Not even the hard stuff, at one point I was thinking about energy considerations to find max speed to find amplitude :rofl:

But then it said 'write down' meaning no calculations necessary

Good thing they gave the period or I wouldn't have gotten an answer out

Yeah the period helped, I ended up showing that the acceleration was proportional to the displacement and the constant was 100/9, which was w^2, then used that to find the period. I think I'll lose marks on the impulsive tension part a) as I only drew a picture, which I don't think is a mathematical method :colondollar: Sine rule is probably what they want
Yeah the period helped, I ended up showing that the acceleration was proportional to the displacement and the constant was 100/9, which was w^2, then used that to find the period. I think I'll lose marks on the impulsive tension part a) as I only drew a picture, which I don't think is a mathematical method :colondollar: Sine rule is probably what they want

I did that for 3 places to show it was true, but then crossed it out and did a general case using extension of each spring. And it worked out

Might get a mark

Yeah I used sin rule, and sum to 180 for triangle
I did that for 3 places to show it was true, but then crossed it out and did a general case using extension of each spring. And it worked out

Might get a mark

Yeah I used sin rule, and sum to 180 for triangle

Yeah sum to 180 is what I used. I basically drew a picture and used those GCSE angle rules/relationships, but sine rule is what will get full marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending