The Student Room Group

PPE Oxford Graduate Homeless

"I used to regularly walk past a homeless man around the corner from where I live in Oxford and take virtually no notice of him. One day I stopped to speak to him.

It turned out his name was Alan and he had a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from the University of Oxford. We subsequently developed a friendship based on our mutual interest in Aristotle's ethics and pepperoni pizza."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33287727

Three points to take from here
1. Endless competition can be bad
2. University prestige/course is not everything
3. Hard times can fall on anyone - it's not just the feckless at the bottom but genuine hard working people who need help!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Are you trying to absolve your sins for voting Tory? :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are you trying to absolve your sins for voting Tory? :tongue:

some what :frown:
Original post by Bill_Gates
some what :frown:

Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

haha
There are so many homeless guys in Oxford, every time you go into the city center you will be mobbed by them. It's not really that surprising tbh.
"I used to regularly walk past a homeless man around the corner from where I live in Oxford and take virtually no notice of him. One day I stopped to speak to him.

It turned out his name was Alan and he had a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics from the University of Oxford. We subsequently developed a friendship based on our mutual interest in Aristotle's ethics and pepperoni pizza."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33287727

Three points to take from here
1. Endless competition can be bad
2. University prestige/course is not everything
3. Hard times can fall on anyone - it's not just the feckless at the bottom but genuine hard working people who need help!

Thats sad. I wonder how he ended up there. He must still be pretty employable but obviously its nearly impossible to get a job if your homeless :/
Reply 7
Original post by TomatoLounge
Thats sad. I wonder how he ended up there. He must still be pretty employable but obviously its nearly impossible to get a job if your homeless :/

would be interesting to hear the full story but what a waste of talent.
would be interesting to hear the full story but what a waste of talent.

A homeless man once told me he was a film director. Invited me to an all expenses paid shoot it India. Then he fell asleep on a bench. True story.
Original post by TomatoLounge
A homeless man once told me he was a film director. Invited me to an all expenses paid shoot it India. Then he fell asleep on a bench. True story.

To be honest, that kind of has a terrifying quality about it.
I think I needed that :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
I think I needed that :smile:

lol needed what? :tongue:
lol needed what? :tongue:

Just the article and the points you raised. I'm not being sarcastic or anything if that's what's coming across :tongue:
Original post by enaayrah
Just the article and the points you raised. I'm not being sarcastic or anything if that's what's coming across :tongue:

lol oh ok :tongue:
Original post by RoundTrip
There are so many homeless guys in Oxford, every time you go into the city center you will be mobbed by them. It's not really that surprising tbh.

This is an Oxford graduate though!
This is an Oxford graduate though!

Can you really believe him?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Can you really believe him?

Yep.
If he is actually an oxford graduate, and there is room to doubt that, then it can only be his fault if he is homeless.
Original post by Toussaint
If he is actually an oxford graduate, and there is room to doubt that, then it can only be his fault if he is homeless.

rite..............
Original post by Toussaint

could be anything from drug addiction to bankruptcy but doesn't put down the point that it can happen to anyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending