The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Dictator
If this was done with Islam, there'd be worldwide riots...cowards.

Yes, the time when satirising Christianity in the West was risqué is long gone. The time when it was brave is a distant memory. Now it is just boring.
Original post by felamaslen
Just out of interest, how do you reconcile the book of Leviticus with gay rights?

I tend to ignore most of the old testament tbf
They got what they wanted the least they could do is show some respect. They do gays no favours by behaving like that.

What happened to Christianity? liberalised into nothing.. they'll do the same to Islam. It all starts with moderate Islam, then they push it further and further into the ground.
Original post by DawgEater

Such Tolerance....

Agree with us or we'll mock your religion, or sue you out of business....

are you forgetting about the fact that christianity says that gay people should be stoned to death? do they *owe* them tolerance?
Reply 64
Original post by zippity.doodah
are you forgetting about the fact that christianity says that gay people should be stoned to death? do they *owe* them tolerance?

Owe, no.

However, let's not forget that many of the recent milestones for gay people have been achieved with the support of everyday Christians. There's plenty who adopt the 'pick and mix' approach to religion to justify their discrimination, whilst conveniently forgetting passages that are applicable to their own life, but plenty are fair-minded individuals who are fully supportive of sexual equality.

The most frustrating thing about this situation is that people are using 7 individuals as a representative sample of all gay people. It's an ad-populist fallacy. However, that same fallacy exists when gay people respond in the same illogical manner by going "x number of Christians discriminate, therefore all Christians should be bashed".

Honestly, the biggest problem is that people are just lazy when getting their points across. Instead of actually having a discussion that puts things into an appropriate scale and context, people instead strive to overgeneralise and just attack everybody in one swift post. It's hardly surprising, as only that way can people really get that heightened sense of melodrama embedded within their posts.
Original post by LPK
In regards to the latter part, this thread plays a key role in contributing to that overrepresentation of the ludicrous minority. After all, would any of us have known that those people attended pride, if not for the OP and the expression of moral outrage? Ironically, this thread has given those pictures an even bigger platform than it probably got at the event itself. It's titillation under the guise of outrage.

Your last sentence is absolutely correct, particularly in regards to the vast majority of (ignored) people actually being respectful. Somewhere in that parade, there will have also been a 'float' devoted to Christian 'allies', as there always is at such events. Once again, they've been ignored, both by these idiots within the pictures, but also by the people latching on to these pictures to try and drive some sort of pointless, overgeneralised, narrow-viewed, dogmatic narrative. They may as well have just gone to Pride and looked at the event threw a toilet roll.

There's such a broad range of people at these events that it becomes quite obvious that it's far from being a homogenised community. If anything, it's just as fractured and dysfunctional as the rest of society.

I agree that these are a fringe, but so are the bigots of the opposition. I just think that if the pro lgbt are going to paragon them selves as morally more just **** like this needs to stop other wise they are just as hypocritical as some of their opposition.
Original post by LìberateFromZOG
They got what they wanted the least they could do is show some respect. They do gays no favours by behaving like that.

What happened to Christianity? liberalised into nothing.. they'll do the same to Islam. It all starts with moderate Islam, then they push it further and further into the ground.

We don't owe Christians anything so take your call for respect and shove it.

If they had their way they would still be killing us for being an abomination

and yes we will, we've beaten the church and now it's Islams turn
Original post by HigherMinion
The irony is that because this is mocking of Christianity, it's fine. If it were mocking Muslims or Jews then you'd be labelled a racist or anti-Semite.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the new face is bigotry and intolerance in our society: liberals who will shut you down if you don't believe everything they believe.

A very sanctimonious and fake form of liberal indeed.
Original post by LPK
Owe, no.

However, let's not forget that many of the recent milestones for gay people have been achieved with the support of everyday Christians. There's plenty who adopt the 'pick and mix' approach to religion to justify their discrimination, whilst conveniently forgetting passages that are applicable to their own life, but plenty are fair-minded individuals who are fully supportive of sexual equality.

The most frustrating thing about this situation is that people are using 7 individuals as a representative sample of all gay people. It's an ad-populist fallacy. However, that same fallacy exists when gay people respond in the same illogical manner by going "x number of Christians discriminate, therefore all Christians should be bashed".

Honestly, the biggest problem is that people are just lazy when getting their points across. Instead of actually having a discussion that puts things into an appropriate scale and context, people instead strive to overgeneralise and just attack everybody in one swift post. It's hardly surprising, as only that way can people really get that heightened sense of melodrama embedded within their posts.

I don't understand "pick and mix" religions - surely if one part of it is wrong, surely it might all be wrong? and if you'll accept some parts of it and not others, how do you even consider that following that particular religion as opposed to your own independent views? e.g. I am an atheist who accepts gay marriage. a christian might also accept gay marriage. but is it christianity that enables this acceptance? is it anything to do with christianity? no, that's because christianity is homophobic
Once again Jesus and mo hits the nail on the head

Reply 70
Original post by DawgEater

Such Tolerance....

Agree with us or we'll mock your religion, or sue you out of business....

They can mock and are rightly free to weather you or I agree. I doubt any christian will go on a murderous rampage killing gays because they are offended though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sooo when Christians are sat there like "Gays are going to burn in hell" and provoke homophobia, nothing is done about the issue of how gay people feel. But as soon as the tables turn, and gay people make a mockery of them, hell breaks out and they don't like it.....

I'm not justifying their provocative actions, but I think this is very tame compared with the abuse the LGBT community has experienced at the hands of Christians, as well as other religions. If one's faith in their religion is true and genuine, this sort of thing wouldn't bother them.

Respect has to be mutual. Until LGBT individuals stop getting treated like second class citizens, or in some cases like animals, it's hardly realistic or reasonable to expect complete respect from them towards religions that actively discriminate against them.
Original post by StrangeBanana
What do you mean by "tolerated"? Everyone has the right to free speech, so unless you want to plug your ears you're going to have to tolerate homophobes sometimes.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church isn't a "paedophile organisation".

What do you mean 'tolerated'? Everyone has the right to free speech, so unless you want to plug your ears you're going to have to tolerate gays mocking Christians sometimes.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Catholic Church is a peadophile organisation.
Reply 74
Will Mosques be forced to marry gays then?
Reply 75
Original post by Reluire
I'm not justifying their provocative actions, but I think this is very tame compared with the abuse the LGBT community has experienced at the hands of Christians, as well as other religions. If one's faith in their religion is true and genuine, this sort of thing wouldn't bother them.

Respect has to be mutual. Until LGBT individuals stop getting treated like second class citizens, or in some cases like animals, it's hardly realistic or reasonable to expect complete respect from them towards religions that actively discriminate against them.

How are they being treated like animals? In most cases they are treated like politically correct deities with diplomatic immunity.
Original post by The Dictator
If this was done with Islam, there'd be worldwide riots...cowards.

Yeah well, nobody wants to get blown up by terrorists, it's called being sensible, not a coward hahaha.
Original post by SeaPony
Will Mosques be forced to marry gays then?

It'll be an interesting test case:biggrin:.

But Mosques don't actually perform marriages in the UK for it to be legal it has to be registered so they need to have a civil wedding as well as the nikah
Original post by driftawaay
Yeah well, nobody wants to get blown up by terrorists, it's called being sensible, not a coward hahaha.

Quite, it's hardly a positive thing to say about islam and muslims (despite being true though)
Reply 79
Original post by PopaPork
It'll be an interesting test case:biggrin:.

But Mosques don't actually perform marriages in the UK for it to be legal it has to be registered so they need to have a civil wedding as well as the nikah

When ISIS throw gay people of the top of a building where is the outcry? Oh I forget they are muslim, another group with diplomatic immunity.

Latest

Trending

Trending